Discover your hobby farm borrowing power

Simply enter the land size and land type you want to purchase in the calculator to find out!

How much can you borrow?

  • Land size up to 10 ha: You can borrow up to 95% of the property value.
  • Land size up to 50 ha: Up to 90% of the property value if you are close to a major town, otherwise you can borrow 80% of the property value.
  • Land size up to 60 ha: You can borrow up to 80% of the property value.
  • Land size up to 100 ha: You can borrow up to 70% – 80% of the property value on a case by case basis.
  • Land size over 100 ha: These farms may not be considered as “hobby farms” by the banks. Please discuss your situation with us if you believe your property is not “income-producing” (see below definition).
  • Investment: Borrowing is restricted to 90% of the property value but you may be able to borrow up to 95% if the property is less than 2 ha.
  • Vacant land: Borrow up to 95% of the property value depending on the size of the vacant block. Please see the vacant land loan page for specific approval criteria.
  • We can get you get a loan to buy an agricultural business (agribusiness), including equipment finance. Please discuss your situation with our mortgage brokers.
  • Guarantor loans: with select lenders only.
  • Discounts: Competitive professional package and basic loan discounts are available for blocks that are up to 100 ha in size.

The main problem banks have with financing a hobby farm is to do with the improvements that typically need to be undertaken and what the farm is used for. Please read below for more information

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will let you know which lenders will accept your hobby farm.

What is a hobby farm?

Generally speaking, a hobby farm is a rural property used for the purposes of small-scale farming.

Essentially, the farm is designed for personal fulfilment or self-sustainability rather than for the purposes of turning a profit on a commercial basis.

In saying that, small-scale working farms have been known to provide diligent owners with a second source of income.

Some of these small-scale agricultural operations are the same for a commercial farm and can include such activities as growing fruit and vegetables or raising farm animals like cows, chickens, sheep and pigs.

Want to know more about hobby farms?

Check out the ‘What Is A Hobby Farm?’ page.

When is a rural property ‘income-producing’?

The test for most valuers is whether there is an ability to offset business losses from a farm against other income.

Typically, this is where:

  • Turnover from the business activity is at least $20,000.
  • The business has produced a taxable profit in 3 of the last 5 years including the current year.
  • The value of the property carrying on a business is at least $500,000

For example, you will often find hobby farms with cattle or agistment (the contract for taking in and feeding horses or other cattle) where the owners want to earn at least $20,000 to get the ability to claim their losses from the farm against other income forms.

Do you intend to develop the property for significaant agricultural activities?

Do you need some of this income to prove that you can afford the loan?

If so, it’s likely that the valuer will class the property as income-producing.

Are they a good investment?

As mortgage brokers, we can’t provide advice on buying a property but what we can say is that the market for hobby farms is looking a lot better than what it was in the first few years after the Global Financial Crisis (GFC).

Specifically, the demand for small farms within 100 kilometres of a capital is actually quite stable although you’re looking at around six to eight weeks to sell if your plan is to invest.

Like any potential investment property though, it’s essential you do your own due diligence because they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Are there location restrictions?

Like buying any other type of property, some lenders have location or postcode restrictions.

Luckily, we know two lenders who are less conservative when it comes to location so complete our free assessment form and one of our hobby farm specialists can tell if you qualify for a hobby farm loan.

Does the zoning matter?

Some lenders take the zoning of your property into account and others don’t. The most common types of are listed below.

NSW rural property zoning

  • General Residential (R1): Small properties often under 2 hectares that are next to regional centres. Normally acceptable.
  • Rural Landscape (RU2) NSW: A flexible zoning that allows many agricultural, tourism and residential housing uses. The land size and usage will determine how much we can lend.
  • Large Lot Residential NSW (R5): Typically residential housing in a rural location. Normally acceptable to our lenders.
  • Rural Residential Zone NSW: This zone has been replaced by ‘Large Lot Residential’ but many properties are still in the old zone. This can also be broken down to ‘rural fringe’ and ‘rural living’. This is normally acceptable for lending purposes.
  • Rural Small Holdings NSW: This typically refers to hobby farms and lifestyle properties in rural areas. Normally, properties in this zone are acceptable to our lenders.
  • Primary Production NSW: Typically used for extensive agriculture rather than intensive agriculture. The land size and usage will determine how much we can lend whether you may need a farm loan instead.

VIC rural property zoning

  • Rural Living Zone (RLZ) VIC: Usually used for residential purposes with minor agricultural activities.
  • Rural Conservation Zone (RCZ) VIC: Rural areas of environmental importance. A single house can be built, typically acceptable for lending purposes.
  • Rural Activity Zone (RAZ) VIC: A flexible zoning that allows agricultural, residential, tourism and business use. The usage of the property will determine how much we can lend.
  • Farming Zone VIC: Sometimes these are hobby farms and other times commercial farms. The land size and usage will determine how much we can lend.

QLD and WA rural property zoning

Unlike New South Wales and Victoria, zoning in Queensland and Western Australia differs from council to council.

In this case, it’s better to contact your specific council and ask them what the land can be used for and what the limitations are.

You can then contact us so we can let you know if we can help you.

All other states

All hobby farms in the ACT are acceptable with at least one of our lenders. For rural properties in SA, NT and TAS please contact us for information regarding what finance is available.

Each lender assesses rural properties in a different way. Some will not approve particular zonings while others only consider the land size and usage.

Is the property in a commercial farm type zoning?

Call us and we can see if we can get you approved for a commercial loan.

Is the property in a hobby farm type zoning?

Then it will likely be accepted depending on the land size and usage!

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill in our free assessment form and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss your options.

When does a hobby farm become a commercial farm

The main question that the banks will ask us is if the farm is a commercial farm or a hobby farm. For example one of our banks has the following policy:

“The use of the property is solely for the purpose of private residential occupation, including private residential occupation by a tenant, (i.e. must not be used for commercial income producing purposes or as a short term speculative investment or development).

Another lender takes the position that once market gardens and other farming properties are able to produce or have the potential to produce sufficient income to meet operating expenses and sustain the farm enterprise they are generally no longer considered as hobby farms.

In some cases, the land may be used for the growing of crops and/or the holding of limited stock, however this is only for the purposes of the private use and enjoyment of the owners. Income may be earned through the renting of the property to a tenant. (i.e. rental property investment).

Note: Any valuation obtained must be based on the land and residence value only. The valuation must not include income producing potential of the land, sheds, machinery, orchards, livestock, etc, which are used for income producing purposes.”

As you can see the banks are more interested in approving home loans for smaller lifestyle properties rather than financing a commercial farm. If you plan to make a business out of running a farm, you can apply for a commercial loan instead.

Can I get a standard loan?

Farms are either classed as commercial or hobby based on the valuer’s assessment but there may be ways to get assessed like a standard home loan applicant depending on the strength of your case and the lender.

If the equipment, land or overall means to run the farm are present but you have a 20% deposit (you’re only borrowing 80% of the purchase price), a lender may still approve your home loan application without having to go to their commercial or business credit team if you can prove that you can “service” the debt without needing income from the farm.

What this means is that as long as your income, employment and asset position is strong and stable enough to service the mortgage without income from the farm, we may still be able to get you approved with some lenders.

What improvements are allowed?

There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to which improvements are considered as residential and which are considered as commercial.

Generally, it’s best to send us the link to the property’s listing in a real estate website and we can let you know where you stand.

Here are some examples and how the banks would assess them.

Residential/hobby farm

  • Standard house, liveable shed or vacant land.
  • Small orchard that doesn’t produce income.
  • A few cattle or horses.
  • A small machinery shed.
  • A dam.
  • Several paddocks and some bushland.
  • The likely buyer of this property would use it as a home or holiday house.

Commercial farm

  • May or may not have a house.
  • Large crop plantations.
  • Dairy farms.
  • Commercial orchards with thousands of trees.
  • Several cabins or tourism-style accommodation.
  • A significant herd of cattle.
  • All other agricultural activities.
  • The likely buyer of this property would use it as an income-producing farm.

That’s not to say that both types of property won’t be considered by a lender!

It’s simply easier to finance a hobby farm than a commercial farm and the best part is that you can access much cheaper interest rates than going down the commercial route.

Applying for a hobby farm loan

It helps to get advice from a mortgage broker that specialises in hobby farms before deciding to apply for a home loan.

They can help build a case that addresses the bank’s requirements on land size, location and how much income may be generated from the operation.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers who specialises in hobby farms can help you to apply for a home loan.

What should I look out for in a hobby farm?

Check that the land is suitable for what you’re planning to use it for

This can include fertile soil for growing produce and, for the purposes of caring for animals, fields for grazing and clear access to water sources, such as ponds and lakes.

If you’re buying vacant land then check with council to confirm that you are allowed to build a dwelling on the property.

Check with council regarding zoning and infrastructure projects

Zoning changes all of the time and planned or ongoing infrastructure or commercial projects can have a major affect on your ability to run a hobby farm. For example, a new motorway can affect the peace and quiet that you were after in the first place, while, from a practical perspective, a new mining or gas project can have a massive effect on the health of the surrounding environment and your ability to grow produce.

In terms of actually getting approved for a hobby farm loan, did you know that there are lending restrictions on bushfire prone properties, many of which are located in the same rural areas as lifestyle farms?

Check that you’re getting what you pay for

Sometimes the farm will come with everything you need including built-in stables or houses for animals, troughs, feeding dispensers and fences. That’s great but it also means you have to ensure that you’re getting what you pay for, that is, making sure all of the amenities are in good condition and to code.

Legal requirements

Be aware of local council restrictions as well as state and federal laws and licensing requirements regarding the use of land and owning farm stock.

For more resources and tips on lifestyle farms, go to

What do the banks assess?

Hobby farms can be assessed in several ways by our banks, depending on the location and the size of the property.

Land size: There is technically no maximum land size. However, to qualify with most banks the land must be less than 10ha. Some banks can consider up to 50ha and one can consider any size land as long as the property is not being used for business or income-producing purposes.

Banks are likely to be very conservative with properties over 200 hectares.

Location: Each lender has their own postcode restrictions. At least two of our lenders have no postcode restrictions at all, although, remote properties will always be difficult to finance.

Access: The land must have easy access using an all-weather road. Dirt roads are fine as long as they are well maintained.

Services: The land must be within range to be connected to the electricity grid without excessive costs or have solar power. Town water and sewerage services aren’t required as many Australian properties have tank water or septic tanks instead. Fully-serviced and partially-serviced blocks are both acceptable.

Zoning: Land can be zoned rural, rural residential or the equivalent for your state. Be careful with land that is zoned industrial, commercial or for farm use as they are generally not accepted or may be considered as a commercial farm unless it’s clear they can’t be used as a home. A good rule of thumb is that if the land you are buying is subject to GST then it would be considered as a commercial property by the banks.

Land use: The land can only be used for personal or investment purposes, not as a commercial farm. Hobby farms with minor farm improvements and that don’t produce income from farm production are usually accepted.

Why are the banks so conservative?

During times of drought or during economic downturns, farms tends to fall in value and take longer to sell. This is particularly true in country areas and remote locations where land prices fluctuate more often.

Normal houses on the other hand have more potential buyers and so tend to sell much faster.

Because of this higher volatility, banks tend to be more conservative when approving a home loan for hobby farms.

In addition to this, banks consider commercial farms to be businesses, not a lifestyle purchase so they can only be considered for more expensive commercial loans and business loans.

  • Sujan

    I’m thinking about buying a small house/farm on a rural property but the issue is that it’s in a remote area and it doesn’t have access to the power grid. I was thinking about making it 100% solar powered. Is it possible to get a loan? I can demonstrate that I’m willing to commit to installing the solar package. Is it possible to add this cost to the loan?

  • Hi Sujan,

    “Off the grid” properties can be considered by some lenders on an exception basis. Usually if the properties in the vicinity are similarly powered then it may be something that could be accepted. Feel free to contact us if you require a more thorough assessment.

  • Hi David,

    There are a couple of credit issues in your case.
    Being close to retirement – Lenders want to see you will still be able to afford your loan throughout the loan term.
    Land Size and property type – Not all lenders will consider if the property is rural and with a size of 30 acres.
    Construction – Similarly, not many lenders will prefer to lend for a owner builder as it is considered to be more riskier.

    Our brokers are experts in handling complex scenarios. As they have worked in credit department approving and declining loans they know exactly how it should be presented to the lenders. It would be best for you to contact a broker to get your loan approved.

  • Cole

    Hi there, the property I am buying is a 58 ha hobby farm that is zoned for farming but is allowed to be used as a home. I am just starting to investigate the potential and possibility of what can be done. I want to borrow 80% of the property value with a $2.2m purchase price. Can you help?

  • Hi Cole, yes we can assist with this. We’ll need to know more about the property. The ‘farm zoning’ is fine but what’s more important is how the property is used. If it’s a rural lifestyle type property with a standard house then we have some great options. If the property has significant farming income (>$20,000 p.a.) then some lenders may classify this as a working farm and the lending criteria would change.

  • Sam

    Hi there. Iv found 20 acres of land for a good price on town water and would love to know the best banks to talk to with a deposits of 5% to 10%

  • Hi Sam,
    We’d have 3 – 4 banks we could help you with this. There’s a few things to consider such as if the property has electricity available and if access is easy. If it’s got town water than in most cases this is all fine. What’s the postcode?

  • Hi Malec
    Unfortunately it isnt looking good. You should have clear credit and a solid income plus a 5% deposit and 5% for costs as a minimum. Some bad credit is ok but you’d need a 20%+ deposit.

  • Sam

    The power is 163m away. Post code 3351

  • Hi Sam,

    This is Category Other with Genworth and National with QBE. What that means is that most lenders will consider this to be a high risk location due to the low property market turnover.

    For us this will be ok as we have a few lenders that can look past this. The distance to power is fine for finance, just allow some $ for putting in some power poles and check to make sure the local grid has capacity to add a house to it.

    Please call us on 1300 889 743 if you’d like our help

  • Mable

    I want to purchase a 20 acre hobby farm, which I intend to live in as it has a cozy cabin on it and a nice scenic dam. Does the dam make the lender consider it to be a farm or is this just a rural property?

  • Hello Mable,

    It depends on the lender. Your property would likely be assessed as a rural lifestyle type property as 20 acres is quite small for a working farm, which means you can borrow up to 95% of the property value. Best of luck with your green change! Call us on 1300 889 743 if you’d like our help to get approved.

  • J. Parsons

    My wife and I want to buy a property that is zoned rural, although it’s only 40km from Perth. This zoning suits us perfectly and is what we need as we can park our trucks on the property. Our broker has told us that we can’t get a loan because of the zoning so it’s time to look for a new broker :)
    Can you please advise us if this is something you can help with? Thanks.

  • Hey J. Parsons,

    We should have no problems with this. We need to know a little more about the property like its size. If it is under 50 ha, this is no problem, and I’m assuming it isn’t that big if it’s close to Perth. Bigger properties are usually okay but we may have to reduce the percentage of the property value that you’re borrowing. Please give us a call on 1300 889 743 and we’ll let you know your options. Ideally, send us the link to the listing on the real estate website so we can have a look at the property the way that a bank will.

  • Mullah

    Hey, I’m self employed and the property I’m buying is a 4.1 hectare hobby farm located just next to Sussex Inlet, NSW. It has a large shed/ 3 bedroom shack on the property. It’s already connected to power, has tank water and septic sewerage. Can this be financed?

  • Hi Mullah, yes, we should be able to get you up to 95% on your property. We’d need to know about the condition of the shack and if whether or not it is council approved. Aside from that, it should be fine.

  • Jim Burgett

    Hi I’m looking for finance on a property that’s< 100ha how do I go about it

  • Hi Jim
    Give us a call on 1300889743. If you’ve got the address, zoning, approx value and land size we can let you know if we can assist.

    If you have some pics that uou can email to our broker while on the phone that helps to see how it would be classified and the maximum loan size.

    Best of luck

  • Damien Mowlam

    Hello, would you be able to assist with a commercial farm loan through our smsf – which we would then lease off our smsf to run a commercial agriculture farm? We have a large deposit but would need to include some of the income from the farm to meet the lease payments to meet the mortgage payments required by the smsf. We have other assets (business) outside smsf and a small value freehold premise in the SMSF. Hope that makes sense! Thanks, Damien

  • Hi Damien,
    We’d need to look at the full details of the transaction as this is quite complicated and commercial farms require specialist assessment. Please enquire on our website and when you have provided all of your documents request the broker to ‘Refer to Otto’ for full assessment.

    It looks like you have already sought advice and understand that the land itself can be owned by the SMSF however the business must remain outside of the SMSF. Please be careful as the rules for SMSFs are complicated and strictly enforced by the government. For example if there is a farm house on the land that you use as your home then this may be a problem.

  • Sarah Mote

    Hi, We are looking at a 42ac property which has a residence on it and the land is used for growing about 700 avo trees and also has 4 chalets used for holiday rentals both of which produce an income. its on the market for $1,500,000 as a going concern but haven’t yet investigated the actual amount of income it generates
    We are hoping to live there and use whatever income it produces as part of repayments but will also have an employer paid income of approx $120,000 per year. How would this be classed in terms of a loan, hobby farm or commercial? and what kind of deposit would we be looking at?

  • Hi Sarah,

    It’s difficult to say without a full application, financials for the farm and pictures. But I’d say in this case it would be classified a commercial farm and the max you could borrow would be 60% to 70% of the property value. You could borrow more with a guarantor however they would need to own 10% to 20% as it’s a farm not a standard residential property and the lending policy is a bit different.

    If that doesn’t suit you then consider buying a property with one or two houses on it, max $1m in price, max 50 hectares (123 acres) with no major agriculture. Then we can lend you up to 95% including LMI at a really good interest rate.

  • Sudhir

    Hi, I’m thinking of going for a 90% lend for a 42 hectare land size farm. I’ve heard that we may be able to get a rate discount so can you tell me what it takes to qualify?

  • Hey Sudhir, one of our lenders has a special discounted interest rate offer and you can check out what it is and how you can qualify for it on our 90% LVR home loans page:

  • Collin

    Hi, I am looking at a property that is 55Hectares, I have the 10% deposit to buy, it has 3 bedroom house, is unfenced and has no farming facilities or cash trees on the property. I work in a fifo role so I wouldn’t be looking to the property to pay the mortgage. It’s near mission beach would I be able to buy this property with a 10% deposit or is it only possible to buy with a 20% deposit?

  • Hi Collin
    That’s a beautiful spot, great choice of a place to buy!
    For >50 ha the max you can borrow is 80% of the property value unless you have a guarantor in which case you could borrow 100% plus costs.

    If you’d like to buy with a smaller deposit then look for a place that is less than 50 ha and we can help you to borrow 95%. It’s also a good idea if we get you a pre-approval as FIFO income is assessed by some banks as being insecure whereas others are fine with it. We do a lot of loans for FIFO engineers / contractors etc that work in mining either in QLD, WA or Papua New Guinea.

    If you’d like our help then please contact us here

  • Collin

    would you consider a bridging loan a viable option in this case?

  • Probably not… A bridging loan has a ‘peak debt’ and an ‘end debt’ which both must meet certain criteria.

    It would depend on how much equity is in your current property. We’d have to know your full details to be sure. Once you’ve given our broker all of your supporting docs such as payslips, loan statements etc then ask them to ‘refer to Otto’ and we’ll look into the more complex options that may allow you to make it work.

    For example a short term personal loan may work if you are planning to sell your other property and pay off the personal loan soon. Or we may be able to get sufficient equity out of your current property to enable you to buy the next one with a loan for less than 80% of the property value.

  • Scorpion 14

    We have a property in Murringo Nsw 2586. The property is 2.8 acres in size. We own the property outright. We have also a investment property value @700k & owing 409k.
    We would like to build a house on the Murringo property. We roughly need 200 to 300 k.
    We have no deposit, so i would like to know would we qualify for a construction loan.
    Thanks Mark

  • Hi Mark
    Yes we have some lenders that should work with assuming your income and credit history are ok. Please call us tomorrow on 1300889743 and ask for a rural property specialist.

  • Andrew

    Hi there.
    Is it possible to use my super as the deposit for a hobby farm? My wife and I have ~$130K in super and I’m looking for a property around 50ha and under $700K, to be used for primary production. I don’t have a deposit saved (hence wanting to get out of expensive Sydney).
    Thanks, Andrew

  • Hi Andrew,
    Yes it is possible to buy in your SMSF however for primary production land you need to have a larger deposit if it’s in your SMSF. Typically a bank will lend 50% or 60% for a property like that in an SMSF. You may consider a guarantor loan instead

  • Clare

    I would like some help in calculating my serviceability in order to get a loan to buy a hobby farm out of town.

  • Hey Clare,

    You can calculate a reliable estimate of your borrowing power using our How Much Can I Borrow calculator which takes your income and expenditure, and combines the exact method used by the serviceability calculators of three banks in calculating the result. You can then enquire online directly through the calculator and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you shortly to discuss. Here’s the link to the calculator:

  • amy

    Which companies lend for smsf’s with high LVR and a minimum lend of $150,000?
    I am looking at purchasing a rural property between $250,000 to $336,000 acreas range from 250 to 690 through smsf. Currently have $150,000 in super.

  • Hi Amy,
    You can buy a rural property in an SMSF however the bank’s won’t consider a high LVR and usually won’t consider a small loan size of $150k. The reason for this is that SMSF loans are higher risk and more work for the bank so in this case the loan wouldn’t be profitable, so they won’t assist.
    That’s ok we may have some other solutions.
    – Can you buy in your personal name?
    – Is there any income producing aspect to the property e.g. cattle, crops, grape vines etc?
    – Do you have any savings in your own name?
    – Do you own any other properties?
    – If need be could a family member guarantee your loan using a property that they own?

  • jason

    My wife and I are currently looking at getting out of the rat race in Sydney and moving to port Macquarie, we have been looking at acreage at Rawdon island, most of the properties there range from about 10 to 40 hectares around $400,000 then we would need also to borrow to build a house, we currently have 2 properties, 1 investment and 1 in which we live. We plan on keeping both and having them as investments and using the equity to provide the deposit. Do you for see any problems with getting lending for this?

  • Hi Jason,

    Good idea. We’ve had a lot of customers go for a sea change or green change and nobody has regretted the decision and moved back.

    Rawdon Island is a category 2 location for lending which means we have lots of lenders available.

    Typically properties on an island are difficult to finance however Rawdon Island is really just a name, it’s part of the mainland and is acceptable.

    Large areas up there are flood affected so just make sure the house isn’t at risk of going under before you commit to buy. Typically 1% AEP (1 in 100 years flooding) is acceptable.

    We should be fine to help you buy a property up to 50 ha. If you like our head office is in Sydney (Rhodes) and you can come in and visit one of our rural property specialists. Just give us a call on 1300 889 743.
    Best of luck with your move!

  • Jeremy White

    Hi there. My wife and I are keen to purchase land zoned farming in Victoria, on which we will look to build a home. The property is only 18 acres, but has a current planning permit, subject to putting up a farm management plan to the local council. This plan will basically outline the hobby farm activities we will undertake on the property. We have been told by a number of lenders that we would need a 60-80% deposit, as the zoning designation makes banks consider it a business loan. Is this true, or is there a way we can make this purchase with a 20% deposit?


  • Hi Jeremy,
    If you are permitted to build a house on the property and it has no major income producing activities then in most cases we can lend 95% of the property value. For 18 acres it is very likely we can get you approved with only a small deposit. Complete this and one of our rural property specialists will call you to discuss.

  • speck

    The property I want to buy has farm zoning but it can be used as a residential. I need to borrow at least 85% LTV and I should be able to as the size of it is around 38 hectares. Can your brokers help me apply?

  • Hey speck,

    Yes. The farm zoning is fine but how the property is used is what’s important. Do note that if the property has a farming income of more than $20k a year then some lenders may classify this as a working farm and the lending criteria would change. We’ll need to know more about the property so please call 1300 889 743 to discuss this with an expert mortgage broker.

  • Ana

    Want to buy a 97 ha vacant land and build to use as hobby farm. I need to borrow 75% but finding it difficult to get lenders to accept. The location is like an hour away from the city so that too is a problem they say. Is it not possible to secure finance for this?

  • Hi Ana,

    The major issues with this are likely the size of the property and the location. We have thought of a lender that can help but you’ll likely have to reduce the LVR to get approved. There are other lenders too that can help but it can depend on your overall financial situation and other factors. Please speak with one of our farm loan specialists by calling 1300 889 743 for detail-specific answers.

  • Tim P

    HI There, we are looking to buy a property that is 60ha but are having trouble trying to find someone to finance a property this size, the property is purely a lifestyle property.
    Any options?

  • Hi Tim,
    Yes we can help with this. 60ha we can lend 80% of the property value. 60.1ha and this may be reduced depending on the property and if we can get an exception from one of our lenders. Click here and our brokers can complete a free assessment for you

  • Kellie

    Hi there,

    We currently have 160 acres and we want to build a house on this land. Can we get a home loan or do we have to get a agri business loan again?


  • Hi Kellie,
    We may be able to help you get a home loan if you’re borrowing no more than 80% of the property value.
    Can you let me know a little more?

    Where is your property?
    Do you have any farm improvements like dams, orchards, cattle etc?
    Is there all weather access?
    Is there power available to your site?
    How much is the land worth? How much would construction cost? How much do you need to borrow?

  • It’s likely we can help. We’d need to look at the full details to be sure. Under 80% of the value we should be fine as a home loan rather than an expensive agri loan.

    It would depend on the number of cattle but typically 160 acres isn’t an income producing farm it’s a hobby farm. If you’ve got jobs that you earn an income from rather then earning primarily from the land then it should be ok.

  • Emma Cook

    Hi there
    I am looking at buying 160 acres in the shire of wandering wa. It has a 5×2 house situated on the property and it will be a hobby farm. The property is $669,000. How much deposit would I need ? Thank you Emma

  • Hi Emma
    It’s likely we can get you a mortgage for 80% of the purchase price. So you’d need around 24% of the purchase price to cover the deposit and costs like stamp duty.
    If you have a guarantor then no deposit is needed.

  • Seazonn Rea

    Hi There,, We are currently living in a home we would like to purchase, its postcode 4650, Is a fully renovated queenslander on 26 acres it is not a farm but is zoned rural. The purchase price is 450k , we have a 50k desposit, we did try to secure finance but the lenders morgage did not come back..We are hoping to reply apply again in 3 months with comm bank as we have heard they may be more favourable towards rural properties..What are your thoughts,,> Thanks in Advance

  • Hi Seazonn
    Yes CBA are more likely than others to assist from a policy point of view. However there is also the way you present the application which is very important.
    We can compare CBA and other options such as a guarantor loan or other lenders to get you the best possible deal.
    Depending on your Veda credit file and deposit source we may be able to get you approved now.
    If you’d like our help then please contact us

  • Sally wood

    Hi there,

    We have a house in sydney worth $1.2 mill with a 450k home loan on it. Hubby is desperate for some land where he can get away from me and the 4 teens. Looking over 100 ha and not income producing to start with. May be just bush……. Can we use the equity in our home tom finance this?

  • A home equity loan can allow you to borrow against the equity you have in your home to buy the property. The loan will be secured by a mortgage over your home and in most cases, you can use as little or as much of the loan, if and when you need it. Generally, it’s quite cheap to release equity up to 80% LVR and you must refinance your existing loan as part of the equity loan application. Please call us on 1300 889 743 if you’d like to discuss this with one of our expert mortgage brokers directly.

  • Rebekah

    Hi, I want to buy a property that is zoned RU2, 31 acres. I have a 10% deposit,is this enough? thanks

  • Hi Rebekah,
    RU2 zoning in NSW is acceptable security for a home loan.
    If the property is vacant land you can borrow 80%. If the property has a house on it then we can lend you 95%.
    Note that your property is 12.5 ha. If it is less than 10ha then even with vacant land we can lend 95%. So if this is an issue then consider a slightly smaller property.

  • Rebekah

    Thanks for that, I have applied for a mortgage with the 10% deposit, but the estate agent is saying as it is a rural address it is a 30% deposit. The property has a house on it.

  • It depends on the lender. Most lenders would require a 30% deposit but not all of them.

  • Tom Wang

    Hi have a land to purchase with RU4 zoned in NSW, up to what precentage of the loan I can get? Thanks Tom

  • Hi Tom,
    Normally if it’s a house on a block of up to 50ha then you can borrow 95% and if it’s vacant land up to 11ha you can borrow 95%. Larger vacant land up to 50ha can be financed up to 80% of the property value.
    Access, utilities and what the property is used for will be important as well. Please contact us if you’d like our help

  • Ellen Poole

    I am looking to purchase a 40ha property as a hobby farm, zoned as ‘General Rural’ in the Gingin Shire of Western Australia (post code 6503). What sort of percentage of the loan could I get and what would be the required size of the deposit? Currently there are no buildings on it. It has power connected and is fenced with good fire breaks. Many thanks, Ellen

  • Hi Ellen,

    We can lend 80% of the purchase price for this. If you build later we can lend 90% – 95% of the total land value plus cost of construction. You can contact us here

  • Trudge

    A friend told me that banks are now only allowing 90% and effectively disapproving 95% investment loans. So there are no lenders that do 95% anymore?

  • Hi,
    Actually, you can still borrow up to 95% with some lenders but we don’t know for how long and some restrictions may apply with these lenders. Please call us on 1300 889 743 if you’d like to learn more about this in regards to your particular loan needs and personal situation.

  • Andrew

    Hi Looking at purchasing a hobby farm, a macadamia orchard, small between 8 to 17 ha. It would have a house on it and produce enough income to assist in paying the mortgage but we would both need to have jobs to survive. It appears we would need 40% security/deposit, which is out of our reach in most cases. Is that correct we need 40% or can we achieve lower security as a hobby farm.

  • Hi Andrew,
    Yes this would be considered to be a farm as macadamias would require a lot of work, expenses and you’d be deriving and income from the property that was relatively significant. So it’s likely the max you could borrow would be 60%.
    However if you buy a property with a house on it up to 50 ha but with no orchard then you can borrow 95% with at least one of our lenders. I’d recommend that you look for a different property and then give us a call.

  • Kelly

    Hi, looking at purchasing a property in Blackbutt Qld, 53 acres as a hobby farm to run several cattle & sheep. The land has a 5 bedroom house and some sheds etc. What would be the likely lending % available. Thanks

  • Hi Kelly
    We can lend 95% on this as long as there arent too many sheep / cows. If it’s mostly a home and you have other jobs we should be fine.

  • Tracie Russell

    Hi there

    Do you guys look after people in Tasmania please ? :-)

  • Hi Tracie,
    Yes we do however our minimum loan size is $300,000. So it just depends on the value of the property that you are buying.

  • Tracie Russell

    Awesome – listing price is $650000 – I will be in touch :-)

  • Great thank you Tracie. Good luck with your purchase.