Last Updated: 22nd November, 2023

We have more calculators to help you with your situation.

The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) calculator is designed to work out which government benefits, such as grants and stamp duty exemptions, you may be eligible to receive.

Please be aware that:

  • We have assumed that you meet some standard first home buyer criteria.
  • We have assumed that you are signing the contract of sale today.
  • If you are not looking to purchase right now, the benefits may change in the future.
  • Please refer to your state government website to confirm the full criteria and grant conditions.
  • First home buyers should also use our credit score, borrowing power and LMI calculators.

Over the next few days, you’ll receive additional guides to help you on your home-buying journey. Occasionally, you’ll receive carefully curated home-buying tips, cashback offers and news articles. You can unsubscribe any time you want. View our Privacy Policy

Can I Get The First Home Owner Grant?

The eligibility criteria for the First Home Owner Grant vary by state and territory. You might be eligible for the grant when:
  • You are 18 years or older
  • You are either an Australian citizen or a permanent resident
  • You plan to live in the property as your home for at least six months
  • You have not owned a property anywhere in Australia
If you are applying for a home loan with a partner who has previously claimed the grant, you may not be eligible for it again. The grant is mostly applicable if you are buying or building a brand new home; however, there are exceptions in some states.

Does A First Home Owner Grant Count Towards A Deposit?

Yes, the grant will count as a part of your deposit for your first home. Typically, most lenders require a deposit of at least 5% of the property price. The grant amount on its own might not be sufficient, in which case you will require existing savings for a deposit on your first home. If you have not saved enough deposit, a guarantor home loan is the best option. There are other low-deposit and no-deposit home loan options for first home buyers.

Do First Home Buyers Pay Stamp Duty?

Not always. Most states and territories provide stamp duty exemption or concession for first home buyers if you buy a home within the price thresholds. Since the rules are different for each state, you can use our stamp duty calculator to find out how much you save.

When do first home owners grants change?

The first home owners grant is a hot political topic! In fact the grants were first introduced in 2000 to offset the increase in new home prices due to the introduction of the GST. Politicians are well aware that young Australians are concerned that they may not be able to afford a home. For this reason they often promise new benefits during elections. Federal elections are likely to result in changes to the standard first home owners grant, as this is a Federal scheme. State elections are likely to result in changes to construction, new home, relocation and regional grants as well as stamp duty exemptions. If the building industry is stagnating then it is likely that the state government will introduce or increase their new home grant as this has been a very effective method of boosting the industry.

When will the grants end?

Currently, there is no end date for the main first home owner grant scheme. However, state grants all have specific end dates, please refer to your state government for the full details.

Which states have first home grants?

*The FHOG in ACT has been replaced by the new Home Buyer Concession Scheme, which will provide a full duty concession for eligible home buyers effective 1 July 2019. Please note that each state government has different benefits!

How Much Is The First Home Buyer Grant In Each State?

State/Territory FHOG Amount Property Value Criteria
New South Wales (NSW) $10,000

Valued up to $600,000

If buying land and building, the value is at or less than $750,000

Buy or build a new home

The grant is not available for established homes.

Victoria (VIC) $10,000 Valued up to $750,000 Buy or build a new home
Queensland (QLD) $30,000 Valued less than $750,000

Buy or build a new home

Renovation of established property is also accepted

Western Australia (WA) $10,000

South of 26th parallel, south latitude – $750,000

North of the 26th parallel – $1 million

Buy or build a new home
South Australia (SA) $15,000 Valued up to $575,000 Buy or build a new home
Tasmania (TAS) $30,000 No limit on the value of property

Buy or build a new home

Off-the-plan is also accepted

Northern Territory (NT) $10,000 No limit on the value of property Buy or build a new home
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) The grant has been replaced by the Home Buyer Concession Scheme.

What Grants Are Available For First Home Buyers In Australia?

Besides the first home owner grant, these grants and schemes are available for first home buyers in Australia:
  • The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme and the FHLDS – New Homes Guarantee
  • The First Home Super Saver Scheme
  • Family Home Guarantee Scheme
To see if you qualify for grants and schemes, visit our page on the government grants and schemes available for first home buyers.

Do You Qualify For The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme?

The Australian government’s new initiative called the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme starts from 1 January 2020, and as a first home buyer you may qualify for the scheme. The Scheme allows low, and middle-income Australian first home buyers purchase a property with a deposit as low as 5% and pay no Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI). The best part is that you can use the scheme together with other grants such as the state governments’ first home owners grant (FHOG), stamp duty concessions and the First Home Super Saver Scheme.

Don’t base your buying decision on grants

Some first home buyers specifically choose a property type of location because of additional first home benefits. We strongly believe that your focus should be on what property is suitable for you and if you are ready to buy a home. Too many first home buyers buy a property before they are ready simply because of a special grant that ends soon. You can use our step by step first home buyers guide to buy your first home.


This calculator is a guide only. Due to the complexity of the qualification criteria and the differences between the state governments it is not always possible to keep our calculator up to date.

You can refer to your state government website for the full eligibility requirements, qualifying transactions and changes in the first home benefits such as grants and stamp duty exemptions. We accept no liability for any inaccuracies in this calculator.

If you have any questions then please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will call you back to discuss your options.