Call us now 1300-889-743

Year To Date Calculator

Year To Date Calculator

Income details

Date that you started your job
End date of most recent payslip ?
Are you living in Australia?
Start date for the most recent financial year
YTD gross income from your most recent payslip ?
Gross income shown on your last group certificate ?

Contact a mortgage broker

Talk to one of our mortgage brokers about your situation: Yes No  

What is a Year To Date Calculator?

A year to date calculator or YTD calculator is a tool used by lenders to work out your annual income from the income that you earned in part of a year. The lender can use either the YTD gross income figure from your most recent payslip or the gross income stated in your last group certificate.

In most, but not all cases, the banks will calculate your income from both your payslip and group certificate and will use the lower of the two incomes in their assessment.

How do I use the calculator?

Follow the steps below to use the calculator:

  1. Find your most recent payslip and your group certificate from the most recent financial year.
  2. Enter the data from these documents into the calculator.
  3. The ‘end date of most recent payslip’ refers to the end of the pay period, not the date you were paid. For example, if the pay period was ’06/06/2010 to 12/06/2010′ and the pay date was ’15/06/2010′, you would enter ’12/06/2010′ in the calculator.
  4. If you have only just started your job this financial year or don’t want to work out your income from your group certificate then just enter ‘0’ as the ‘gross income shown on your last group certificate.’
  5. Click calculate and the calculator will then work out your annual gross income.
  6. You can now deduct your base pay from this figure to work out the amount you receive each year in overtime, pre-tax allowances and other income types.

If you have any questions about how to use the calculator then please post a question on our home loan forum.

How is YTD calculated from July to September?

The financial year begins in July so most payslips have their YTD figure reset on the 1st of July each year. Normally, the YTD income contains several months income in it but in July, August and September it doesn’t.

As a result of this, lenders cannot determine your annual income using the YTD income shown on your payslips alone. A small amount of time off of work or a few extra days of overtime would greatly effect their calculation of your annual income.

Because of this some lenders will ask for your group certificate from the previous financial year and use this to calculate your income. Group certificates will show a full years income if you have worked there for the entire financial year or will record the date that you started with that employer which can then be used to calculate your YTD income.

How will the lenders assess my income?

Did you know that not every lender will use 100% of your overtime, shift allowances, bonuses and other income types in their assessment?

Some lenders are also very conservative when assessing the income of casual employees.

Our mortgage brokers are experts in helping people with these income types to get approved for a home loan.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill in our free assessment form and one of our mortgage brokers will call you to discuss your situation.

  • John Kafka

    I have joined in a new job in the middle of financial year from January. Does this affects my Year To Date figures while applying a loan application as I have recently applied for a home loan in Commonwealth bank.

  • Hi John, change in job does affect your YTD figures in your payslip. However, this can be explained to the bank and would be least of the issue. There could be other concerns here for example, if you are still on probation and was your previous job in the same industry.
    By showing a longer work history (e.g. your prior job) or by providing a letter from your employer we can usually get an approval in these situations.

  • hilary lassen

    I was requiring Employee Pay Stub recently and was informed of a great service that hosts lots of form templates . If people are requiring Employee Pay Stub as well , here’s a

  • Phoebe

    I’m a casual worker so how exactly can I expect my income to be assessed?

  • Hey Phoebe,

    If you’re a casual worker then most lenders will require you to have been in your job for at least 12 months. Lenders prefer consistent work hours but can accept them even if they may vary a little. You may also be declined if you have not been in the same line of work or industry in the last two years. Also, if you can’t provide full financials or if you’re self-employed, then it’s most likely that you will be declined for a home loan with most lenders.

  • Keene

    What if my payslips show a higher income than my group certificate?

  • Hello Keene, if your payslips show a higher income than your prior group certificate then most lenders will use the lower of the two figures.