If you’re a foreign citizen living outside of Australia, most home loans are only available at rates of up to 8.00% p.a.

Every year thousands of foreign nationals, Australian expats and temporary residents decide to buy a home or investment property in Australia.

This section is designed to help you understand how the buying process works and how we can help you to apply for a non-resident mortgage in Australia.

Our popular guides for non-residents


Australian living overseas

Which lenders specialise in expats?


Foreign Investor Loans

You may be eligible for an Australian mortgage.


457 Visa

Which banks don’t need a large deposit?


Temporary resident

Will I pay a higher interest rate?


Buying a property in Australia

How does buying Australian property work?


FIRB approval

What types of property am I allowed to buy?


Foreign citizen stamp duty

Does it apply to all foreigners and temporary residents?


New Zealand citizen mortgages

You may be able to borrow up to 95% of the property value!


Proving foreign income

How do banks assess foreign income?

What you need to know!

Firstly you should read about how to buy property in Australia, followed by the rules for foreigners investing in Australia.

Note: You may need approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB), depending on your circumstances.

Can you get a home loan or investment loan?

There are different home loan types available for different types of borrowers, whether you are a citizen of New Zealand, a foreign citizen working in Australia or a foreign citizen living overseas.

How much can I borrow?

Most people buying real estate in Australia are able to borrow 80% of the property value.

In some cases it is possible to borrow up to a maximum of 95%. However, this depends on where you are living, if you are an Australian citizen or not, as well as the terms of your current visa.

To find out if you could be eligible to borrow over 80% LVR, speak to our specialist mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss your situation.

What are the features of non-resident mortages?

The great news is that some Australian banks now offer the same home loan features and interest rates for non-residents as they do for normal borrowers.

  • Minimum loan size: $100,000
  • Maximum loan size: No limit
  • Maximum LVR: Varies depending on your situation
  • Interest only: 15 years maximum
  • Fixed rates: 12 years maximum (15 years for Australian Citizens)
  • Loan term: 30 years maximum
  • Professional package discounts: Available
  • Construction home loans: Available
  • Extra repayments: Available
  • Redraw: Available
  • 100% offset: Available
  • Internet banking: Available
  • Phone banking: Available, however may not work for international calls

Although the features vary depending on the lender, our mortgage brokers can usually find you a suitable loan that has flexible policies for non-resident borrowers and meets your requirements.

Speak to us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online. If you are living outside of Australia, contact us on +61 2 9194 1700 and we can help you get approval!

How do the banks view foreign investors?

Lending policy for non-resident home loans differs from bank to bank.

As a general rule, the banks take one of three different views on applications from non-residents:

  • Declined outright: These lenders either believe foreign citizens or overseas borrowers are a high risk, or their systems are not set up to be able to deal with customers that reside outside of Australia.
  • Lending restrictions apply: These lenders will accept Australian expats, temporary residents of Australia and foreign investors however, they may restrict the amount that you can borrow or require additional supporting documents.
  • Special lending parameters: A select few lenders actively pursue this market! They have special credit teams to assess applications from non-residents, and have 24-hour call centres to handle calls from overseas customers. They often have no restrictions for Australian citizens living abroad, and have flexible lending policies for temporary residents, particularly 457 visa, 309/310 visa and TSS visa holders.

Which lender should I choose?

It is critical that you apply with the right bank! Our mortgage brokers specialise in lending to new migrants, Australians living overseas and foreign investors.

We can assess your application and submit it with a lender that will approve it the first time round.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will call you to discuss the mortgages that you may qualify for.

Invest in Australian property!

With a booming economy and affordable locations, many foreign investors are buying properties in Australia.

If you’re looking to buy a house in Australia from overseas, you may wish to speak to our mortgage brokers.

We can advise you of your prospects of obtaining finance and help you apply with the right lender.

When you finally buy your investment property, you may wish to enlist the services of a real estate agent who will help you find suitable tenants for your house.

Also, check out the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) page to find out if you need Government approval to purchase the property in Australia.

To speak to experts in non-resident mortgages call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online today!

Why use us?

More Australians use a mortgage broker to obtain their home loan than any other method.

Unlike most other Australian mortgage brokers, we at Home Loan Experts, are specialists in non-resident lending.

We can quickly find you the best mortgage from one of the major lenders that we are accredited with.

More reasons to contact us:

  • Most of our services are FREE.
  • We are accredited with over 40 major banks and non-conforming lenders.
  • Our mortgage brokers are experts at non-resident home loans.
  • As members of MFAA and AFCA, we uphold the highest ethical industry standards.

Contact us today!

If you are living overseas or if you have already migrated to Australia, we can help! The process of applying for a loan and buying real estate in another country can be quite confusing.

Our experienced mortgage brokers can help to guide you through the process and can quickly work out which banks can offer you the best interest rate, terms and conditions.

To find out how we can help you, please enquire online or call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia).

  • Matthew

    Hi Home Loan Experts,
    I currently reside and work in HK, and want to buy an off the plan property in Sydney. I’m mulling to shift there in the next couple of years, so I want to buy a property now so that I could save some money. I’ve heard that the lenders have reduced the lending amount to foreigners, how much will I be able to borrow from the banks now?

  • Hi Matthew,

    It is true that most of the lenders have pulled out of non-resident lending and there are only few left who still do it.

    The maximum loan amount the lender can approve for you depends on various factors your employment status, the currency you earn in and various other factors. These factors determine how much you can borrow, it could be between 40-80%.

    Discuss you situation with our mortgage brokers, they can give a more accurate information based on your situation.

  • Matilda

    Hi, my query is that I am on a temporary visa (subclass 457) after my work contract has been expired and hasn’t been renewed. I am on talks with another company, and if all goes well, they will sponsor me. Will I be eligible for a home loan?

  • Hey Matilda, with a 457 work visa, you are eligible to borrow up to 95% of the property value, provided it has at least a year remaining on it. If you are currently on a bridging visa or your visa has expired then no, you can’t get a home loan. However, if you renew or get sponsored for a new 457 visa, you can. Hope this helps.

  • Ajm

    Does anyone do Non-Resident construction? Seems strange as some will do newly completed.

  • Hi Ajm,
    We can consider this as an exception to policy. It would depends on what type of non-resident you are (Aus expat, permanent resident o/s, foreign investor, temporary resident) as to what amount you could borrow and specifically if we can help or not. If we can’t help you then likely nobody can as we’re specialists in this field. If we can’t assist then best to buy a standard property (not construction) instead. Please write “Refer to Otto” in the comments in your online enquiry

    Yes it is strange, try not to use common sense when thinking about finance, unfortunately common sense doesn’t seem to apply to our industry!

  • Ajm

    Hi, im a broker and we have a large amount to finalise with 15-20 construction and the same amount as newly constructed. We have funder who will do expat not foreign investors for construction and know of a funder who will only do with select few brokers. I was hoping for some knowledge on who can.

  • Pye

    I am on a temporary 461 visa and I would like to know how much I can borrow on a home loan to buy a house here in Australia.

  • Hi Pye, we can help you borrow up to 95% of the property value on your home loan. However, do note that your personal situation and loan needs will impact how the banks will assess your borrowing power. Please call 1300 889 743 to speak with an expert mortgage broker who specialises in 461 visa home loans.

  • Bryan Fisher

    Are you looking for an urgent loan?? Are you looking for a way to get a fast and reliable loan which is genuine?? Do you need a loan for any reason?? Your help is here at last as we are offering reliable and affordable loans for all at just 2%. Our services are 100% genuine as we are licensed and you are guaranteed of getting your loan from us within 5- 12 hours of application. If interested kindly contact us now via email at FREEMANLOANFINANCE@GMAIL.COM or +13234024181 (SMS us now for fast response) and you will be glad you did.

    Thank you,
    Jamie Freeman. …

  • Carslaw

    Hi, I am living in Singapore and we have a much lower tax rate than we had when we were living in Australia. But I bank with CBA and they said that they will assess my income using Australian tax rates! It’s ridiculous because we can easily afford the loan and we’re on great incomes. What we can do?

  • Hi, yes we have lenders that can consider using your net overseas income which means that offshore tax rates are used. This works well for someone in Singapore but it’s especially good for people in the UAE / Dubai, Switzerland, Cayman Islands & Qatar who often struggle to get a home loan in Australia. Even a good income there may not count for much after our banks have assessed it using Australian income tax rates. Some lenders also don’t use negative gearing benefits in their assessment if you are offshore or they ‘shade’ your income by 20% to 40% depending on the currency that you are earning. It’s just about choosing the right lender.

  • Bibek

    I am on a temporary gaduate visa (485). Am i eligible to purchase property in Australia?
    Please let me know

  • Hi Bibek

    For Government approval: Yes you’d be eligible. You may pay additional stamp duty if you’re in VIC, NSW or QLD and you would need to pay a FIRB approval fee of $5,000.

    For a mortgage: We’d have to assess this on a case by case basis and you would need to be employed full time. It’s not a visa that the banks work with regularly. If you’re on the Post-Study Work stream it will be easier as it’s a 4 year visa not an 18 month visa.

  • Rupert G-I

    Hello, I am an Australian living and working in Qatar and I want to borrow at least 80% to buy a $850k property back home. I have 8 years of work experience in my current job and earn $180k (converted to AUD). I also own 2 other properties which have around 20% left to be paid off on their mortgages. Can you help?

  • Hey Rupert,

    Yes, we can help with this. We know a bank that can accept 100% of your UAE income but you may have to borrow at 70% of the property value. We also have a few other lenders in mind that can help. Please speak with one of our Australian expat home loan specialists regarding your situation and loan needs by calling our overseas number + 61 2 9194 1700 or you can simply enquire online:

  • Lara

    I am here on the Aged Dependent 114 visa and I would like to know if I am allowed to get a home loan to buy a house.

  • Hi Lara,
    Yes, we can help you get a home loan for up to 95% of the purchase price. Please note that some banks may reduce your borrowing power though. You’ll need to have a good exit strategy in place too. You can call 1300 889 743 to discuss this with a 114 visa home loan specialist.

  • While some types of finances might not yet be available to you in your place, there are a wealth of options for you in the home, personal,
    and student departments, to help you set up home in your new, home.