Call us now 1300-889-743

Temporary Resident Home Loan

Would you like to buy a property while living in Australia? If you meet the following qualifying criteria then you can get approved for a mortgage.

How much can you borrow?

The amount that you can borrow depends on the type of visa that you hold and the way that the lender you’re applying with views your visa status:

  • 80% of the property value: Most temporary visa holders can apply for a mortgage for up to 80% of the property value.
  • 90% of the property value: Some visa holders may be eligible to borrow up to 90% of the property value if they have a strong income and stable employment.
  • 95% of the property value: If you’re married to or defacto with an Australian citizen or permanent resident and on an Interdependency Visa (subclass 310/110 and 826/814) or spouse visa/partner visa (subclass 309/100 and 820/801), then you may be able to borrow up to 95% of the property value.

Did you know that the services of a mortgage broker in Australia are usually free?

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form to have an obligation free discussion with one of our mortgage brokers that specialises in lending to temporary residents living in Australia.

Which temporary residents will Australian banks lend to?

The Australian government and the FIRB doesn’t restrict particular visa types from borrowing money but the Australian banks and other lenders may not approve loans for some temporary residents (TR).

The list below includes visa types that Australian lenders tend to consider as “Australian citizens.” These visa holders may be entitled to borrow up to 95% of the property value:

The list below includes visa types that Australian lenders tend to consider as “non-residents” and will restrict the loan to 80% to 90% of the property value unless you are married to an Australian Citizen:

  • Temporary Business (Long Stay) – Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457, loans available to 95% of the property value as special exemption to normal bank criteria).
  • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417).
  • Business Owner (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 160).
  • State or Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 163).
  • Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 161).
  • State or Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 164).
  • Investor (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 162).
  • State or Territory Sponsored Investor (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 165).
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489).
  • Business Visitors Visa (Subclass 456).
  • Visiting Academics Visa (Subclass 419).
  • Sport Visa (Subclass 421).
  • Entertainment Visa (Subclass 420).
  • Skilled Exchange Visa (Subclass 411).
  • Film, Media, Actors and Support Staff, Photographers and Journalists Visa (Subclass 423).
  • Emergency Visas (Subclasses 302 & 303).
  • New Zealand Citizen’s Family Members Visa (Subclass 461).
  • Religious Worker Visa (Subclass 428).
  • Special Program Visa (Subclass 416).
  • Medical Treatment Visa.
  • Medical Practitioner Visa (Subclass 422, loans available to 90% of the property value).
  • Sponsored Family Visitors Visa (Subclass 679).
  • Special Category Visa (Subclass 444).
  • Contributory Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 173).
  • Contributory Temporary Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 884).
  • Student Visa (Subclass 572, 573, 574, 575 & 576).
  • Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 580).
  • Holiday and Visiting Visas (Subclass 976).
  • Short Validity Business ETA Visas (Subclass 977).
  • Long Validity Business ETA Visas (Subclass 956).
  • Bridging Visas (A, B, C, D & E).

If you’re a temporary resident, please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill in our free assessment form to find out how much you can borrow.

Are you a spouse visa / partner visa holder?

If you’re married to or in a relationship with an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident, the banks will see you as a lower risk than other visa holders.

As a result, some lenders will assess your mortgage application as if you were an Australian citizen. For more information, please see our spouse visa mortgage page.

Want to apply for a temporary resident mortgage? Please call us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form to discuss how we can help you to get approved!

Are you a student visa holder or an international student?

Most banks will allow student visa holders to borrow funds to purchase a property in Australia.

The Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) doesn’t restrict students from buying a home or investment property as long as they meet standard FIRB criteria.

However, your ability to get approval for a loan largely depends on whether or not you have a stable job and a solid income. If you’re working, most banks will lend you 80% of the property value.

If you’re not working, then your parents may be able to purchase the house for you. Please see our student visa mortgage page for more information.

To discuss your situation with one of our mortgage brokers who specialises in student visa loans, please call us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form today!

Is Australian Government approval required?

The Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) may need to approve your purchase. Please refer to our FIRB approval page for more information and specific guidelines.

Are first home benefits available?

Unfortunately, as a temporary resident you can’t apply for the first home owners grant and other government benefits.

If you are on a spouse visa / partner visa and are buying with your spouse who’s either an Australian citizen or permanent resident then you can qualify for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG).

You must buy the property together as ‘joint tenants’ not as ‘tenants in common’. Please refer to your conveyancer for more information.

Other Australian government benefits such as welfare and Medicare (public health cover) aren’t available to temporary residence visa holders.

Are you a temporary resident with a foreign income

It’s quite common for temporary residents of Australia to have either a business, investment property or pension that provides them with an income from outside of Australia. They often use this income to help them to pay their mortgage in Australia.

Not every lender will accept your foreign income in their assessment! Others will only accept your income if you’re an Australian resident for tax purposes and have declared your foreign income on your Australian tax returns.

However, some lenders have a simplified income verification process and can accept foreign tax returns, foreign pension statements or rental income receipts, as evidence of your income. They’ll usually use 80% of this income in their assessment to allow for exchange rate fluctuations.

Apply for a temporary resident mortgage today!

We’re mortgage brokers who specialise in helping people without Australian citizenship apply for loans in Australia.

If you’d like to buy a property in Australia or would like to know more about how we can help then please call us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form today.

  • June Rowan

    I have a query?
    My daughter is in a relationship with an Australian citizen. She is currently living in Cairns. Her visa is temporary but will be made permanent in December 2017. Is it possible to obtain a joint mortgage as they would like to buy a house now. Both are in employment, have a large deposit of around 70,000 dollars and my husband and I could act as guarantor if need be albeit we are uk residents.

  • Hi June,

    Yes this should be fine. When a temporary resident is buying a home jointly with an Australian citizen then we have some options where they will be assessed as Australian citizens.

    We can’t use a guarantee as security unless the property you own happens to be in Australia. However the $70,000 deposit should be fine.

    They can give us a call and we can give them an obligation free mortgage broker assessment.

  • June Rowan

    Ok thanks I will let me daughter know

  • June Rowan

    What is the best number to get you on and what is your e-mail thanks

  • Hi June. The best ph# is 1300 889 743 or your daughter can fill in our free broker assessment form

  • Chris P. Bacon

    Hi, I applied with NAB and they said that because my visa is repealed, I can’t get approved. I’m a temporary resident but I’ve got a great job and I’m going to settle in Australia for good. Can you help?

  • Hey Chris,

    Thanks for contacting us. Yes, NAB will not consider anyone who is on a closed visa or a repealed visa. A few other lenders like St George & Westpac specifically exclude these visas as well. This is kind of silly because all it means is that these visas are closed to new applicants, not that there is anything different about people already on these visas.

    We’ve successfully got some exceptions approved for people on closed visas. Please call us on 1300 889 743 and ask for one of our non-resident experts. Good luck!

  • Khushboo Patel

    Hi, I have applied for my permanent residency and waiting for it. But I want to buy a land and then want to build a house. Can I get home loan now or I can only do after my PR?

  • Hi Kushboo,

    You can buy land while you are a temporary resident. It just depends on the type of visa you are currently on, your deposit size and if you meet all other standard borrowing criteria regarding your income and credit history.

    If you like call us on 1300 889 743 on Monday and ask for one of our TR specialist mortgage brokers and we can do a full assessment for you.

  • Fem

    I just called up ANZ – apparently the legislation has recently changed?
    If I am defacto on a partner visa – my income will not get considered to apply for a homeloan and only my partner who is an australian citizen will be on the contract.

    are there ways to get around this?

  • Hi Fern,

    The legislation hasn’t changed, ANZ just has restrictive policies for this area. We can assist you with other banks that take a common sense approach. Basically some banks assess a joint application like yours as being foreign buyers and others assess it as being an Australian citizen buyer.

    Please call us on 1300 889 743 and we can sort this out.

  • Mohit

    Hi I applied partner visa 100 for pr months ago .do I capable for home loan .

  • Hi Mohit,
    It sounds like you are currently on a 309 visa or bridging visa A / B and you will soon be on a 100 visa (PR). As long as you are buying a property with your partner then we can approve your loan up to 95% of the property value and at the same rate as Australian citizens. Please call us on 1300 889 743 if you’d like our help.

  • Mohit

    Thanks for information .what thing is I am working full time job. She is not working

  • As long as your income is sufficient to pay the loan then that is fine. If not then best to wait until she is working and then you can apply then.

  • Mohit

    My yearly income after tax around 60000 + my super .

  • Mohit

    I leav my contact number at your office with receptionist

  • Sharon


    I’m looking to buy a house with my Australian partner. I’m currently on a 457 visa however this visa expires in less than a year, which is why some banks have refused us for a home loan. My employment contract is valid for another 2 years however, and I have applied for permanent residency through my partner a number of months ago, but am still waiting for approval. Is there any way we can get a mortgage now?

  • Hi Sharon,

    Yes we can help with this. As you’re buying a home jointly with an Australian citizen we can have you assessed as a citizen.

    Also if you are in a state that has higher stamp duty for foreign citizens then you may consider buying the home in your partner’s name and having both of your names on the home loan. This means you pay normal stamp duty! Again this varies depending on the state and only some lenders allow this structure.

    Please call us (after Melbourne Cup) on 1300 889 743 and we’ll help you to get approved.