494 Visa Home Loan: Can You Get A Loan On A 494 Visa?

Money bag
How much can I borrow?

Question mark
Will I get approved?

  • You must have over 12 months remaining on your 494 visa.
  • You must be earning your income in Australian dollars (AUD).
  • You must obtain FIRB approval.
View more

Lenders available:

Select banks available. Contact us now to find out more.

Phone call
Discover if you qualify:

We’re experts in getting mortgages approved for temporary residents. We can help you buy property anywhere in Australia.

Will I get approved for a home loan with a 494 visa?

Yes, a 494 Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa holder can get a home loan up to a maximum of 90% of the property value including Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) provided you meet all the eligibility criteria.

Generally, to qualify, you must:

  • Have over 12 months remaining on your Australian visa;
  • Be earning your income in Australian dollars (AUD);
  • Provide a copy of your passport and visa, including the visa number; and
  • Provide a copy of the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval;

Apart from those listed above, standard lending criteria and income verification rules apply.

It’s worth pointing out that there are only a few lenders offering home loans to 494 visa holders.

We’re experts in getting mortgages approved for temporary residents. We can help you put together a strong mortgage application with the right lender.

Are all 494 visa streams accepted?

Yes, all three Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visas – Subclass 494 are accepted. They are:

  • Employer-Sponsored stream (5 years)
  • Labour Agreement stream (5 years)
  • Subsequent entrant (up to 5 years)

Will I be hit with a higher interest rate?

Not necessarily.

A 494 visa holder is eligible for the same interest rates offered to Australian citizens as long as you’re in a good financial position, with a stable job and a good deposit.

In fact, you may qualify for significant home loan fee discounts and special interest rates that are way below the Bank Standard Variable (BSV) rate.

How big of a deposit do I need?

Where possible, it is a good idea to only borrow up to 80% of the property value so you can avoid Lenders Mortgage Insurance fees. In which case, you’d require a 20% deposit plus funds to cover property purchasing costs such as stamp duty, legal fees, bank fees etc.

However, we understand that saving up a 20% deposit is not always possible.

So, if you were borrowing the maximum available that is 90% of the property value, then you’d only require a minimum deposit of 10% of the property value plus funds to cover costs.

In this case, Lenders Mortgage Insurance will apply. You can use our LMI calculator to work out the cost of LMI.

Speak with one of our award-winning mortgage brokers to find out if you qualify for a 494 visa home loan by giving us a call on 1300 889 743 or by completing our free assessment form.

Do I need government approval to buy a property?

Yes, all temporary visa applicants, including 494 visa holders, require approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) to buy property anywhere in Australia.

Don’t worry, getting approval from the government isn’t too difficult as long as you follow their foreign investment rules.

However, if you’re buying a property with your spouse who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident and the legal ownership structure is joint tenants, FIRB approval isn’t necessary.

Please refer to your conveyancer for more information on legal ownership structure.

Do I need to notify DIBP?

No, you don’t need to notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) of your property purchase in Australia.

You should refer to your migration agent for more information regarding immigration enquiries.

Do I have to pay the stamp duty surcharge?

Yes, in addition to the standard stamp duty, 494 visa holders are required to pay the foreign stamp duty surcharge. It was introduced by the government as a way to ease property investing by foreigners.

At the present time, the rate of surcharge differs from state to state and can be anywhere from 3% to 8%. New South Wales (NSW) has the highest stamp duty surcharge of 8%, with Tasmania (TAS) at the low end with 3% as of 2020.

You can use our foreign citizen stamp duty calculator to work out the stamp duty payable.

Can you avoid the surcharge?

One way to avoid the surcharge is if you’re married or in a spousal relationship with an Australian citizen and buying under their name as joint tenants.

Another is to buy property in the Northern Territory, which is the only state which doesn’t charge the surcharge (as of this writing).

Interestingly, the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) only charges a 0.75% land tax surcharge instead of the stamp duty surcharge.

And finally, if you’re only a year or less away from getting permanent residency, you could simply wait in order to avoid the surcharge and save thousands.

Since the 494 visa has a pathway to PR after three years, you’ll be able to qualify with more lenders and qualify for even more home loan deals.

Do I qualify for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)?

Unfortunately, 494 visa holders do not qualify for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG).

The only exception is if you’re buying jointly with an Australian citizen or permanent resident or wait to get your PR.

Apply for a 494 visa home loan today!

Our mortgage brokers are experts in helping temporary residents buy properties in Australia.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form today to find out if you qualify for a 494 visa home loan.

Why use us?

We aim to set an example by delivering what we promise: a higher level of service, better advice and better home loans.


Australia-wide services

We finance properties anywhere in Australia for people anywhere in the world.


Get incredible interest rates

Our relationships with our panel of lenders allow us to negotiate your interest rate.


We get tough loans approved

We can help you navigate the often complex pre-approval and application process.


Our customers love us

We receive hundreds of love letters from our customers.

Discover more reasons to use Home Loan Experts

How we find you the right solution

We get a complete understanding of where you’re at and what your ultimate goals are.
You’ll get a recommendation in just a few simple steps.

free assessment

Complete our free assessment form or call us.


We assess your situation.


We look at all the options from our panel of lenders.

suitable home loan deals

We will find you the most suitable home loan deals.

Testimonials for Home loan experts

about us


lenders on
our panel


lent Australia-wide
and counting

Common Wealth
St George
Pepper Money
Me Bank

of our borrowers get
approved with a major bank


of our borrowers get a discount
below the bank standard variable rate

Otto Dargan

Founder, Home Loan Experts

Secrets To Home Buying - Now At Your Fingertips.

Learn all the Home Buying Tips and Tricks banks don’t want you to know, from our experts with 15+ years of industry experience.

Powered by Home Loan Experts