How much can you borrow?

  • Borrow up to 90% of the property value as an Australian citizen or permanents resident (PR) living in the United States.
  • You can qualify for the same interest rates as an Australian citizen.
  • Some lenders will use the US tax rate, as opposed to Australian tax rates, which can greatly improve your borrowing power.
  • Self-employed borrowers may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value with one of our lenders and we have at least one that will use 90% of your net income rather than gross income.
  • Loans available for purchase, refinance, investment property or to buy a house and land package.
  • If you’re a dual citizenship holder or you’re married to a US citizen, some lenders may treat you as a foreigner which means that choosing a lender that favours expats is essential to getting approved.
  • If you’re earning US Dollars but you can’t provide sufficient documents to prove your foreign income, such as recent payslips, or tax returns, then you may be limited to borrowing up to 80% of the property value.
  • A Power Of Attorney (POA) in the name of a solicitor or family member is required by some banks.

Speak to one of our mortgage brokers by calling 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or completing our free assessment form today.

US income mortgage calculator

Discover if the bank will accept your foreign income.


Disclaimer: This calculator has several assumptions and simplifications and so should be used as a guide only. Please seek independent financial advice and consider your own circumstances before making any decisions related to home loans.

Are you actually an Australian expat?

Australian expatriates (expats) are essentially non-resident Australian citizens and they are permitted to buy property in Australia even if they live in the United States.

Around 2,000 – 3,000 migrate to the US every year via the US government’s E-3 visa. This visa was introduced after the Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement (AUSFTA) was established in 2005.

Many Australian expats residing in the US choose to buy property back home to take advantage of the exchange rate and the rising Australian property market, which far outstrips the United States.

Where can Australian expats learn more about the Australian property market?

If you’ve been out of the country for a while and aren’t sure how the Australian market is looking right now, check out these websites for real estate listings, useful investor tools and information:

Will the bank accept US dollars?

Did you know that Australian expats earning US dollars (USD) are one of the most common types of non-resident applicants that Australian lenders assess?

If you earn your income in USD, there is a good chance that we can get you approved for an Australian mortgage!

Check out the Australian Expat Mortgages for other types of currency that lenders will either accept or consider.

How will the bank assess my US income?

When assessing your home loan application, most lenders will assess your income as if you were residing in Australia.

Australian expats will just need to provide:

The best part is that since these financial statements are in English, it’ll make the lender’s job a lot easier meaning a higher chance of approval.

What if I’m a contractor?

Thousands of Australians migrate to the US to apply their skills, knowledge and experience in a variety of fields including engineering, information technology (IT) and science. As a result, many find contract job opportunities with major firms and businesses.

Since you’re not permanent full time, can an Australian expatriate still qualify for a mortgage in Australia? Yes!

Generally speaking, Australian expats working as contractors will be asked to show evidence of their current income and future employment prospects with a letter from their employer.

To make it easier for yourself, you can provide your US employer with this template that most Australian banks will accept. If you can also provide payslips and tax returns with your application it will help our mortgage brokers build a strong case with a wider range of lenders.

Complete our free assessment form and explain your situation so we can help you get a approved for a home loan as an Australian expat.

Can I get the same interest rates as an Australian citizen?

Yes, Australians living in the US can get the same interest rates as Australian residents.

Some lenders may not offer you the same interest discounts but we’re often in a strong position to negotiate a discount that’s way below the Bank Standard Variable (BSV) rate.

The only exception in qualifying for a low interest rate is if you can’t prove your foreign income.

Are you restricted to buying a new property?

Australians living in the US can actually buy a new property, an existing property or vacant land.

In addition to this, you can live in the property or it can be for investment purposes.

The same rule applies if you’re a permanent resident residing in the United States: you’ll be treated the same as if you were living and working in Australia!

Do you need government approval?

Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval isn’t required, even if you’re buying with a spouse who isn’t an Australian citizen or you’re a permanent resident.

It also doesn’t apply if you’re buying with a US citizen or another foreign citizen.

This will save you significant fees and charges.

Do I have to pay a stamp duty surcharge?

Several states in Australia have introduced a stamp duty surcharge but this only applies to foreign citizens and not Australians living and working in the US.

In saying that, Australian permanent residents (PR) or Australian citizens buying with a US citizen may be hit with the surcharge.

The rules around this may vary so it’s always best to double with your relevant state revenue office. We have more information around this on the foreign citizen stamp duty page.

How will I be taxed?

Did you know that you may still be treated as a non-resident for Australian tax purposes even though you’re simply one of many Australians living in the US. It’s true!

Even though we may be able to get Australians living in the US get approved for a mortgage, it’s a different story with tax law Down Under.

It’s essential you speak to your accountant before you make the decision to buy or invest in property in Australia.

There a number of tests that the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) undertake to work out if you’re an Australian resident or a non-resident for tax purposes. This includes whether you’ve been physically living in Australia for more than half of the financial year and if your ‘domicile’ remains in Australia and you don’t have a permanent residence overseas.

Commonwealth Government employees who work overseas such as government diplomats and armed forces personnel are also a member of the Commonwealth Superannuation scheme so they will likely be taxed as a resident of Australia.

Generally speaking, income and capital gains that Australian residents (for tax purposes) earn anywhere in the world is subject to Australian tax law. For expats considered to be non-residents for tax purposes, your Australian-sourced income and capital gains on Australian property are taxable in Australia.

Doesn’t the US and Australia have a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) in place?

Yes, which means that you won’t incur capital gains tax (CGT) in the US for any capital gain you make on a property you sell in Australia. Under the treaty, the ATO will also generally provide a foreign income tax offset on any US tax paid on the same income or capital gain.

Disclaimer: The above information is to be taken as general tax information only and does not constitute financial advice. Australian and international tax law is subject to change so you should speak to a financial professional before making any financial decision including the purchase of property in Australia.

Can I buy a commercial property?

Because Australian living in the US are in fact Australian citizens, you can actually buy commercial property as long as you meet all other lending requirements.

Some popular commercial properties that Australian expats living in the US consider purchasing include:

We’re specialists in mortgages for Australians living in the US!

Many of our customers are Australian citizens or dual citizens living in the US who want to invest in the Australian property market.

We will choose the right lender the first time around so you can avoid the headache of getting knocked back and having an unnecessary credit enquiry listed on your credit file. This can potentially prevent you building an investment portfolio with Australian real estate in the future.

Most of our services are free and we have almost 40 lenders to choose from including major Australian banks and lenders. Once we know we can get you approved with a few lenders, we’re in a position to negotiate significant mortgage discounts on your behalf.

Please call 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or complete our free assessment form to speak with one of our experienced mortgage brokers.

  • Iggy

    It’s stated that we need to be in a strong financial position to be able to borrow at 90% LVR. Can you be a bit more specific?

  • Hello Iggy,

    Even if you may be an Aussie expat currently living in the US, you can borrow at 90% LVR as long as you have stable employment (generally, 6 months in your current job or 2 years in the same line of work), your ability to pay the loan is strong and you have at least 5% of the purchase price in genuine savings. A clean credit history is also preferred. If you want to learn more on how to borrow at 90% LVR, you can check out the 90% home loan page:

  • Phillip

    Dear sir,

    I am an Australian citizen and I have an E3 working visa to work in the United States in finance. I would like to get a home loan to purchase a residential property in Sydney. Could you let me know a few things:
    1. What do I need to provide? Just 3 months payslips or bank statement too?
    2. Do I need to provide a copy of my E3 visa? Yes or No?
    3. Will I be eligible for getting the same home loan interest rates as Australians working in Australia or will my rate by higher as I’m an Australian expat working overseas?
    4. What is the LTV or LVR that I can borrow up to?
    5. My annual income is US $120k. How much I can borrow?

  • Hi Phillip, I hope you’re enjoying your time in the US.

    1. The more information the better. Due to a large number of fraudulent loans from foreign investors, the banks are very wary. I would recommend providing 4 payslips and 3 months’ bank statements.
    2. Yes, provide a copy of your Australian passport and your working visa.
    3. Yes, we can get you the same mortgage interest rates as Australians. Not all lenders do this, but we can likely get this for you.
    4. You can borrow up to 95% inclusive of LMI for an investment property. We can use up to 80% of your income as it is in USD.
    5. We’d need to do a full assessment. There are low priced lenders and there are a few that allow you to borrow more but have a higher rate. We can give you the options and then you can decide.

    You will need to visit the Australian consulate to complete the lender’s ID requirements. Please complete our free assessment form and we’ll give you a call to complete a full assessment:

  • Brooke HH

    I’m Aussie but currently I’m living and working in the USA. I’d like to make a $2m purchase in NSW and I have close to a million USD as my deposit. I work in my own business now but in 2014 I was a PAYG earning almost US$ 500k a year. I turned self employed in 2015 and my tax returns only show $100k. Can I get an Australian mortgage with your help?

  • Hi Brooke, yes, we can help you with this. We have a few lenders in mind that can do self employed overseas. We can show your old PAYG income to make the deal stronger and also argue for exceptions. Please call us on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss it with one of our mortgage brokers who specialise in home loans for Aussies in the US.

  • Finckh

    Hello. Will your mortgage brokers help me up to settlement only? Will I be able to contact them if I need any help afterwards?

  • Actually, we have a dedicated team of mortgage brokers and support staff who specialise in dealing with our clients after settlement. This is our customer care team and we will be available and ready to help you out even after settlement. You can check out this page to learn more:

  • Dyer

    I have more than 5 years of work experience in Australia after which I’ve moved to the US. I’m a permenant PAYG earning US$12,000 per month. I have around US$30,000 savings so I would like some help with a home loan to buy property in QLD or VIC, not confirmed at this moment. I will buy then move in to that home after a few years. Can you help?

  • Yes, we can help but note that there are a few things that need to be considered such as your salary; whether it’s just a base or if there are other income types such as bonuses. Also, the deposit size will vary depending on the state that you buy in. Please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to speak with our specialist in lending to Australian expats.

  • Gary

    I’ll be 60 in a few months now. I’m Australian but have been living and working in the US for over 20 years. I am on pension which is for life so I want to use it to help me buy an investment property in Melbourne. Can you help finance 80% of the purchase price?

  • Hi Gary,

    We have a few lenders in mind that may be able to help but lenders don’t accept foreign pension as it is. You may be required to have it paid through your super account to be accepted. It’s likely that this will be assessed on a case by case basis meaning that different lenders can have different policies and offers. We will need more information to properly understand your situation and loan needs so we can help you find the best suited list of lenders available. Please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 or simply enquire online and one of us will contact you:

  • Michael45

    I’m an Australian living and working in Palo Alto in the United States (US). I work as a programmer at Google and I’m planning to invest in a property in Melbourne. I’ll be looking in the range of USD 1 mil and have USD 250,000 as deposit. Does the difference in Australian and US tax rates have any bearing in how much I am entitled to borrow from Australian banks?

  • Hi Michael,
    Usually, Australian expats are allowed to borrow up to 90% of the property value with Australian banks. However, most lenders will use the Australian tax rate, as opposed to US tax rates, which can limit your borrowing power. Fortunately, we know some banks who’ll use the US tax rates and this can increase the amount you can borrow. If you can provide sufficient documents to prove your foreign income, such as recent payslips or tax returns, then you can easily borrow 90% of the purchase price.

    We’re experts in home loans for Australian citizens living in the United States. Call us on +61 2 9194 1700 or complete our free assessment form today, and find out how much you can borrow.