Last Updated: 30th April, 2024

How much can I borrow?

  • Borrow up to 90% of the property value as an Australian citizen or permanent resident (PR) living in Europe.
  • Self-employed borrowers may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value with one of our lenders and we have at least one that will use 90% of your net income rather than gross income.
  • If you’re a dual citizenship holder or you’re married to an EU citizen, some lenders may treat you as a foreigner which means that choosing a lender that favours expats is essential to getting approved.
  • If you’re earning Euro but you can’t provide sufficient documents to prove your foreign income, such as recent payslips, or tax returns, then you may be limited to borrowing up to 80% of the property value.

Will I Get Approved?

  • You can qualify for the same interest rates as an Australian citizen.
  • Some lenders will use the tax rate of the European country you’re residing in, as opposed to Australian tax rates, which can greatly improve your borrowing power.
  • Loans available for purchase, refinance, investment property or to buy a house and land package.
  • A Power Of Attorney (POA) in the name of a solicitor or family member is required by some banks.

You can discuss your situation and loan needs with one of our Australian expat home loan specialists by calling us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 if you’re overseas) or by completing our free online assessment form today.

Will My Currency Be Accepted?

It’s not uncommon for Australian banks to deal with home loan applications from Australians in Europe.

The most common currencies that the banks deal with include:

As long as you earn a living in Euro, GBP or CHF, Australians in Europe have a good chance of getting approved for an Aussie mortgage.

The following currencies are also accepted but there may be certain restrictions and conditions such as restricting your borrowing power to 80% of the property value:

  • Swedish Krona (SEK).
  • Russian Ruble (RUB).
  • Norwegian Krone (NOK).
  • Turkish Lira (TRY).

If you’re not living in a Eurozone country or you’re earning in a currency other than all of those mentioned above, you may not be able to qualify for a mortgage in Australia. The key, therefore, is to apply with the right lender.

How Do Lenders Assess Australians In Europe?

Lenders treat home loan applications from Australians in Europe just like any other Aussie residing in Australia.

Even if you’re overseas, you can prove your foreign income by simply providing:

Some lenders can even accept a letter from your employer as proof of your income if you’re borrowing 80% LVR or less.

However, your financial documents need to be in English. If they are in a foreign language, lenders may require you to provide an interpreter’s certificate, which you can generally get with the help of the Australian Consulate in your region.

You can also qualify for a home loan with the same interest rate as any other Aussie.

It’s important to note that some banks may not offer you the same interest rate discounts as people living in Australia if they assess you as a foreigner.

However, we can help negotiate a substantial interest rate discount that’s way below the Bank Standard Variable Rate (BSVR).

Australian Tax Law: What You Need To Know

The Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) basically protects borrowers from paying their taxes twice. Also, you won’t incur Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on any capital gain you may make when you sell Australian property.

If your country is not in the list then your foreign income and any capital gains you make are subject to Australian tax law if you’re classed as a tax resident of Australia.

To check if you’re an Australian tax resident, you can take the residency test on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

However, even if you’re not an Australian tax resident, your investment income is still taxable in Australia.

For more information about the tax implications of buying property in Australia, you can check out the ATO website or the website of your country’s department that deals with tax issues.

Australia has a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) with the following European countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom (UK)

Note that Australian tax law is complicated and may or may not apply to your situation. Please speak with an accountant or a professional tax advisor before deciding on buying or investing in Australian property.

To keep updated about DTA information, visit the Treasury’s website on income tax treaties.

Will I Need To Get FIRB Approval?

If you’re an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident (PR) visa holder, Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) doesn’t apply.

It also doesn’t apply if you’re buying with an EU citizen or another foreign citizen.

This will save you significant fees and charges.

Do I Have To Pay A Stamp Duty Surcharge?

Several states in Australia have introduced a stamp duty surcharge but this only applies to foreign citizens and not Australians living and working in the Eurozone.

In saying that, Australian permanent residents (PR) or Australian citizens buying with a EU citizen may be hit with the surcharge.

The rules around this may vary so it’s always best to double with your relevant state revenue office. We have more information around this on the foreign citizen stamp duty page.

Get Help From An Australian Expat Specialist

Our mortgage brokers specialise in mortgages for Australians in Europe and other Australian expats.

Choosing the right lender is the key to getting approved for a home loan. Because we have relationships with almost 50 different lenders all over Australia, we can help you find and apply with the right lender for your particular situation and needs.

You can speak with one of our experienced mortgage brokers by calling us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 if you’re overseas). You can also complete our free online assessment form and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.