How much can I borrow?

  • Australian citizens and permanent resident (PR) visa holders living in Singapore may be able to borrow up to 90% of the property value.
  • Get the same interest rates as an Australian citizen.
  • Some lenders will use the tax rate of Singapore, as opposed to Australian tax rates, which can greatly improve your borrowing power.
  • Loans available for purchase, refinance, investment property or to buy a house and land package.
  • If you’re a dual citizenship holder or you’re married to a foreign national, some lenders may unfairly treat you as a foreigner so choosing a lender that favours expats is essential to borrowing at the maximum Loan to Value Ratio (LVR).
  • If you’re earning Singapore Dollars (SGD) but you can’t provide sufficient documents to prove your foreign income, such as recent payslips, or tax returns, then you may be limited to borrowing up to 80% of the property value.
  • A Power Of Attorney (POA) in the name of a solicitor or family member is required by some banks.

Call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or complete our easy free online assessment form today to speak with one of our mortgage brokers.

Singapore income mortgage calculator

Discover if the bank will accept your foreign income.


Disclaimer: This calculator has several assumptions and simplifications and so should be used as a guide only. Please seek independent financial advice and consider your own circumstances before making any decisions related to home loans.

What does the bank think of Singapore dollars?

If you’re earning an income in Singapore dollars (SGD), there’s a good chance that we can help you get approved for a mortgage in Australia.

Singapore is a thriving regional business hub so it’s common for Australian expats to be working for large multinationals that may not originally be from Singapore and pay salaries in different currencies.

Many Australians living in Singapore may be earning an income in US dollars (USD), Great Britain Pounds Sterling (GBP) or even Euros.

Other types of currency may be accepted on a case by case basis so check out the Australian expat mortgage page for more information.

In 2012 alone, there were over 20,000 Australians living and working in Singapore.

Do lenders charge a higher interest rate?

Unless you can’t provide sufficient evidence of your income, Australians living in Singapore won’t need to pay a higher interest rate to get a home loan.

You can even get the same interest rates as an Australian citizen living back home!

A few lenders may not offer you the same interest rate discounts as people residing in Australia but we can often negotiate a significant interest rate discount that’s below the Bank Standard Variable Rate (BSVR).

Do I need a large deposit?

Most lenders require non-resident borrowers to provide at least a 5% deposit, plus enough funds to pay for additional settlement fees including stamp duty and the costs of a solicitor.

This deposit must be provided in the form of genuine savings (a deposit you’ve saved by yourself over a period of 3 months) or your mortgage application may be declined.

Luckily, we’re specialists in getting home loan approvals for Australian expats living in Singapore and we know which lenders offer no genuine savings solutions.

For example, if you already own property in Australia, you can access equity for your deposit.

As another option, if your parents are in a position to do so, you can borrow up to 105% of the purchase price with a guarantor loan. In this way, you won’t need a deposit and you can avoid the cost of Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI), a fee charged when borrowing more than 80% of the property value.

Call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 if you’re outside Australia) to speak with one of our mortgage brokers today.

What documents will I need to provide?

Typically, you’ll be required to provide your two most recent payslips and foreign tax returns as proof of your income.

Although these documents aren’t in English, several lenders have specialist non-resident departments with staff that understand many languages and dialects.

If you work in a country where formal written payslips aren’t normally provided then this may complicate the verification process.

The good news is that one of our lenders will accept a letter from your employer as proof of your income if you’re borrowing less than 80% of the property price.

What is an Australian expat?

Basically, non-resident Australian citizens living overseas are considered as Australian expatriates (expats) and they can apply for Australian mortgages even while living or working overseas.

Australian property investors in Singapore, in particular, are lining up to buy a slice of the real estate growth story Down Under.

Australia’s prosperous economy and world-class infrastructure attract a huge amount of overseas investors, including Australian expats in Singapore.

Am I eligible for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)?

Did you know Australian expats in Singapore are eligible for the FHOG?

To be eligible for the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG), you’ll need to be buying property in Australia for the first time. You’ll also need to move into the property for a minimum continuous period of six months within one year after you buy.

Our mortgage brokers are specialists in getting Australian expat mortgages approved!

Complete our free online assessment form or call us directly on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 if you’re outside Australia) and we can tell you if you qualify for the FHOG.

Does Singapore and Australia have a Double Taxation Agreement in place?

There is a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) in place between Singapore and Australia, which means that Australian expats living in Singapore won’t be subjected to tax twice.

Basically, any income you earn from your investment property will be taxed in both Australia and Singapore, however, you can claim a tax refund from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) since you’re living in Singapore and the asset is in Australia.

Please keep in mind that since you’re not lodging income tax returns to Australia, you may not be able to claim negative gearing benefits on the property you own.

Disclaimer: The above information shouldn’t be taken as tax advice.

Please speak with your accountant about any property tax considerations before applying for a mortgage as an Australian living in Singapore. You can check the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as well as Singapore’s IRAS for the latest information and advice.

Do I need approval from the Australian government?

Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval won’t be needed even if you’re buying with a non-Australian spouse.

FIRB approval is only required for foreign born non-residents who would like to invest or buy a home in Australia.

What if I’m a permanent resident?

You don’t need FIRB approval if you’re an Australian permanent resident living in Singapore!

Will the stamp duty surcharge apply to me?

A surcharge on stamp duty and, in some cases, land tax, applies to certain foreigners and visa holders depending on what state you want to purchase your property.

Luckily, Australians expats in Singapore are exempt from these surcharges even if they’re not in the country at the time of contract exchange.

The rules around this may vary so it’s always best to double with your relevant state revenue office.

In particular, if you’re buying with a partner who is a non-Australian citizen, then you may want to consider just buying in your name.

If you’re a permanent Australian resident, rather than a citizen, then that’s an even stronger reason to check with the relevant state revenue authority.

Is there anything else I should consider?

Australian expats are often put in a difficult position because of certain lending requirements set by Australian lenders. Common problems that Australian expats living in Singapore face include:

  • Banks that ask you for your original payslips, tax returns and other documents prior to loan approval.
  • Lenders that don’t have a loan processing system designed to handle foreign addresses or foreign phone numbers which can cause significant delays in the loan approval process.
  • Lenders that don’t approve home loans that are above 80% LVR (Loan to Value Ratio).
  • Banks that need you to sign a formal loan offer at the nearest Australian Consulate by the lender.
  • Lenders that don’t accept Power Of Attorneys (POAs), a legal agreement that allows the attorney or agent to take legal actions on their clients behalf.

Which lender should I choose?

Our mortgage brokers specialise in Australian expat mortgages!

We can help you negotiate a great deal with the right lender who can meet your home loan needs from our panel of almost 40 lenders.

Also, most of our services are free!

Call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 if you’re outside Australia) or complete our free online assessment form to get a free assessment today.

  • L Templeton

    I’ve been living and working in Singapore for more than two years now. I was born in Derby and moved here to work. My living expenses are currently a lot more than what one would consider normal as I’ve started living a bit lavishly since my girlfriend moved in with me. My income is great at the moment and I’d like to buy a house near where I was born. Can you help me get a home loan?

  • Hi there, banks will be wary of your high living expenses and this can have a negative impact on your borrowing power. However, if your income is enough to meet your living expenses as well as service your home loan repayments then it should not be a big problem. We will need your situation details and loan needs so please complete our free online assessment form and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you soon afterwards:

  • Berg

    Hello Home Loan Experts! I am currently living in Singapore and I’m Aussie through and through. I’m planning on getting back maybe next year but I want to get a house there soon so I’m researching. My parents live in Dalby and own property there. Can they be my guarantor?

  • Hi Berg,

    If the property they owned was overseas then they wouldn’t qualify. There are actually other requirements of a guarantor too such as having sufficient equity and working status, which you can learn all about on this page:

    Please feel free to discuss your situation and loan needs with one of our expert guarantor loan specialists by calling our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 or you can even have your parents call us on 1300 889 743.

  • ketchup

    Hello, I would like to know what investment rates I can get right now in the Australian market. I’m finding it quite difficult to find and compare good rates.

  • Finding good investment loan rates can be difficult simply because most lenders don’t advertise their best rates. We have access to a wide range of lenders so we’re able to compile the best investment loan offering in the country. Here are the best investment loan rates from our panel of almost 40 lenders:

  • greg

    I am Aussie, living in Singapore and I earn in Singapore dollars. I am considering to get an expat Australian mortgage to buy an investment property. I have a big deposit so the loan to value ratio doesn’t need to be a lot. Are your brokers able to clear my confusions regarding the ATO and other things regarding this house loan with a face to face meeting on Skype?

  • Hi greg,
    Yes, this can be done. For now, please email us your details at and one of our mortgage brokers will assess it and contact you. If you’d like to discuss things directly then you can call us on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 or simply enquire online and one of our expatriate home loan specialists will contact you with 24 hours.

  • Knapp

    I moved to Singapore for studies and work a while back. Since then my family moved to the UK permanently, sold their home in Australia and bought a new one. Can I get my parents to go guarantor for a home loan to buy a house in Australia?

  • Hello there,

    Unfortunately, the property used for the guarantee must be located in Australia so you won’t be able to have them go guarantor. However, there are other ways you may be able to get a no deposit home loan so please check them out here:

  • adams john loan

    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in needs of helps,such as financial help.So if you are going through financial difficulty or you are in any financial mess,and you need funds to start up your own business, Are you seeking for financial assistance of any kind? We are a private loan firm that provides all types of loan/funding for all those who desire for financial aid. or you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks, for the bible says””Luke 11:10 Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened”so do not let these opportunity pass you by because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever more.Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People, will are here to help those who are in need of;

  • YiLing

    I’m a Singapore national and have an Australian permanent resident visa. Currently, I’m living and working in Singapore. I’m thinking of buying a property in Sydney and move there in the next two years. I have good savings, almost AUD$100,000 but my payslips are online. I was wondering whether Australian banks accept online payslips as my proof of income for a home loan?

  • Hi YiLing,
    Regarding online payslips, you will need to ask your employer for a hard copy of your payslip showing all of the necessary payment details and/or an employer letter confirming your pay.
    Permanent residents are eligible to get a home loan in Australia and, in some cases, can borrow up to 90% of the property value. Call us on +61 2 9194 1700 or complete our free online assessment form and speak with one of our experienced mortgage brokers and find out how we can help you.

  • Sallinger

    I’m an Aussie currently living abroad in Singapore. I’d like to make a $850,000 purchase in Victoria and I have close to 200,000 Singapore dollars (SGD) as my deposit. I run my own engineering consultancy business and earn almost SGD 200,000 a year. I turned self-employed in 2015. Can I get a home loan with help from you guys?

  • Yes, we can help you with this. We have a few lenders in mind that can do self-employed expat home loans. We can show your old PAYG income to make the deal stronger and argue for exceptions. Australian expats in Singapore who run a business may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value with one of our lenders and we have at least one that will use 90% of your net income rather than gross income.

    Please call us on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss it with one of our mortgage brokers who specialise in home loans for Australians in Singapore.

  • Michelle007

    I’m an Aussie living in Singapore and I’m thinking of applying for a home loan in Australia soon. Will the Double Taxation Agreement between Australia and Singapore affect my loan application?

  • Hi Michelle,
    The Double Taxation Agreement (DTA) between Singapore and Australia ensures that Australian expats living in Singapore won’t be subjected to tax twice. It means any income you earn from your investment property will be taxed in both Australia and Singapore. However, you can claim a tax refund from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) since you’re living in Singapore and the asset is in Australia.
    If you want to find out more about the tax implications of buying property in Australia, please refer to your accountant or check the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) and the ATO websites.

  • Harlan

    I’m a Singapore national and want to purchase a property in Brisbane. I want to borrow as much as possible, how much Australian lenders will lend me as a foreign investor?

  • Hi Harlan,
    Few Australian lenders will consider lending to foreign citizens. You can borrow at up to 55% at interest rates below 5.00% if you have a high net worth and earn a primary currency. You can borrow more up to 70% of the property value however the interest rates will be higher. If you live in Australia or are married to an Australian citizen, then you can borrow more to invest in a property.
    Also, you need to get approval from Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) before you can apply for a home loan. You can gather more information on our foreigner mortgage page