Otto Dargan works as the Managing Director and Sales Manager of the Home Loan Experts. He handles the training and development of our team of mortgage brokers as well as the management and strategy development of the company.
Otto’s passion for real estate, investing and financial services has compelled him to create a business with a strong service focus that’s often lacking from the services offered by other brokers and the major banks.
Most mortgage brokers are salesman, not experts. Otto holds our mortgage brokers to a higher standard, which is why our systems, people and training are considered to be some of the best in the industry.
Otto began his career in finance at Mortgage House in 2003 after leaving university. He started right away as a mortgage broker in one of the branches and found that he enjoyed working on the tougher loans that other brokers didn’t want to deal with.
After four years working as a mortgage broker, he decided to start his own company that would allow him to help people with loans in a more flexible environment, with a broader choice of lenders.
In December 2006, Dargan Financial was founded and has since expanded rapidly. In 2009, the company name was changed to the Home Loan Experts as this new name better suited our growing online presence.
Otto has created his own training program for our brokers based on his own experience and a variety of other sources. He has a focus on continuous improvement which has driven him to complete a management course, learn public speaking and to continue to learn more about different areas of finance.
Australia’s Brightest Broker 2011 & 2012
In 2011 and 2012, Otto won the Broker IQ competition run by St George Bank and The Adviser, (a mortgage industry publication).
The quiz is designed to test mortgage brokers on a range of topics including general finance, product and industry knowledge.
Over 1,000 of Australia’s best brokers entered the competition and were put through a series of difficult tests to find just six finalists.
In both 2011 and 2012, the final was hosted by Australian TV game show legend Larry Emdur at The Adviser’s Australian Broking Awards. In 2011, Otto not only came first in the quiz, he actually doubled the next closest contestant’s score! In 2012, he returned to defend his title and once again was named Australia’s Brightest Broker.
Steven Heavey, the General Manager of St George Intermediary Distribution, presented Otto with a cheque for $10,000 for winning the competition. Read more in The Adviser‘s report on the competition.
Otto in the news
Otto has been quoted in several publications including:
- Australian Broker Online – Chinese buyers bought $2bn of residential sites
- Australian Broker Online – Choice comments on lax lending standards.
- Australian Broker Online – Pension changes to affect the mortgage industry.
- Australian Broker Online – Home Loan Experts: Growing Beyond The Borders.
- Australian Broker Online – Are you ready to head offshore?
- Australian Financial Review – Tighter investor lending rules will speed up foreign investment in property.
- Bloomberg – Australia’s Lending Rules Are About to Batter Home Buyers.
- Brisbane Times -Banks cut fixed rates on home loans as they start wooing investors again.
- Daily Mercury – Why we spend two years saving for a house deposit?
- Daily Telegraph – Home loan customers slowing how quick they are paying down their mortgages
- Daily Telegraph – Is your bank refusing do drop interest rates on your home loan? Here’s how you make it happen
- Daily Telegraph – Home loans for over 65s fair call
- Daily Telegraph – Older Australians left to pay off home loan debts past 100
- Daily Telegraph – Commbank toughens up on home loan lending.
- Daily Telegraph – First-home buyers can now use superannuation to save for deposit.
- Domain – First home buyers consider credit cards to cover deposit shortfall.
- Domain – Financing studio apartments.
- Domain – Mixed use properties.
- Esperance Express – One in three don’t understand their interest-only loans, says UBS
- Gold Coast – How do lenders view the Gold Coast?
- Gold Coast Bulletin – Commbank toughens up on home loan lending
- Herald Sun – Many home loan customers can snare cheap fixed rate deals
- Herald Sun – No or low deposit home loans are available but there’s a catch
- Herald Sun – Five ways to work out if your bank is ripping you off
- Herald Sun – Five things your home loan lender won’t tell you as RBA rates on hold
- Herald Sun – Home loan customers urged to review their interest rates despite cash rate staying on hold
- Herald Sun – National Australia Bank drops home loan interest rates
- Herald Sun – Westpac drops home loan rates for first-home buyers
- Herald Sun – Home loan customers slowing how quick they are paying down their mortgages
- Herald Sun – ‘Lazy borrowers hit by exorbitant home loan interest rates’
- Herald Sun – ‘Commonwealth Bank cracks down on mortgages and changes repayment rules’
- Herald Sun – ‘The reason why you should be reassessing your home loan now’
- Herald Sun – ’76-year-old gets 30-year home loan as lenders approve Australians into their 80s’
- Herald Sun – ‘Banks withhold rate cuts to its customers as RBA meets to discuss further interest cut’
- Herald Sun – Commbank toughens up on home loan lending.
- Herald Sun – First-home buyers can now use superannuation to save for deposit.
- Herald Sun – ‘Home loan customers should steer clear of fixing their interest rate’
- Herald Sun – ‘Stressed home loan customers are struggling to meet their mortgage repayments’
- International Business Times – ‘Australian banks earn extra $1.4 billion by keeping half of RBA interest rate cut’
- International Business Times – NAB lists postcodes facing high default risks – Sydney suburbs among the highest.
- Mercury – Australians who bought property in the 1990s did it as tough as though who purchase homes now
- Macro Business – Mortgage standards panic seeps into MSM
- Mortgage + Finance Help – Can your profession save you on your home loan?
- Mortgage Professional Australia – BOQ raises rates on existing investor loans.
- Mortgage Professional Australia (page 2).
- Mortgage Professional Australia – Lending to Foreigners.
- Mortgage Professional Australia – Guarantor Loans.
- Mortgage Professional Australia – My Toughest Test.
- Mortgage Professional Australia – Positive Credit Reporting.
- news.com.au – ‘Stressed home loan customers are struggling to meet their mortgage repayments’
- news.com.au – ‘Home loan customers urged to review mortgages over offers of rock-bottom interest rate deals’
- news.com.au – ‘The five key ways to work out if you are the perfect home loan customer’
- news.com.au – ‘Home loan customers do not know what interest rate they pay’
- news.com.au – ‘Same-day home loans on their way’
- news.com.au – ‘Home loan customers miss out on savings as the big banks play scrooge’
- News.com.au – First-home buyers are making a comeback with a helping hand.
- News.com.au – Reserve Bank keeps low interest rate on hold, homeowners warned against being ripped off.
- News.com.au – Banks use interest rates as high as nine per cent to determine home loan serviceability.
- News.com.au – Banks continue their crackdown on investor home loans.
- News.com.au – Borrowers are confused on what is a good interest rate.
- News.com.au – Borrowers with small deposits for a home are getting stung.
- The News Daily – Using a mortgage broker? Here’s how to protect yourself
- News.china.com.au – 银行提高房产投资者首付要求 Bankwest最多贷款8成.
- NineMSN Money.
- NT News – Stressed home loan customers are struggling to meet their mortgage repayments
- pc.gov.au – Submission to the Productivity Commission’s Competition in the Australian Financial System public inquiry 2018
- Perthnow.com.au – How to take control of your home loan
- Perthnow.com.au – Property owners set to miss out on further rate drops.
- Smart Property Investment – Can overseas property investment work?
- Smart Property Investment – Should you consider a guarantor loan?
- South Burnett Times – How long it takes to save for a house deposit here?
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Highly geared borrowers tipped to face extra scrutiny’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Are you exercising your way out of a home loan?’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Leave nothing but huge amounts of money. Expect only grandchildren’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Tighter rules on home loans could cool housing market’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘One in three don’t understand their interest-only loans, says UBS’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Banks cut fixed rates on home loans as they start wooing investors again’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Fixed mortgage rates slashed as banks bet on RBA cut’
- Sydney Morning Herald – ‘Restricted postcodes’: NAB names suburbs where credit risk getting worse.
- Sydney Morning Herald – Lenders ‘conservative’ with low-deposit loans.
- Sydney Morning Herald – Interest rate gap between investors and owner-occupiers to widen.
- Sydney Morning Herald (bottom).
- Sydney Morning Herald – Banks more cautious on high-risk home loans.
- Sydney Morning Herald – Mining Towns.
- Sydney Morning Herald – SMSF Risks.
- Sydney Morning Herald – Macquarie joins clampdown on property investors.
- SydneyNepal – The story behind Nepal’s first BPO.
- Talking Lifestyle Radio – Otto Dargan – A 76 year old man was given a 30 year mortgage.
- The Adviser – Brokerage invites PC and regulators to broker training
- The Adviser – Mortgage Broker Efficiency.
- The Adviser – Prize-winning broker lands marketing grant.
- The Adviser – Smart Business.
- The Adviser – The Word.
- The Adviser – Top Sydney firm continues expanding.
- The Adviser – Western Sydney broker crowned Australia’s best.
- The Advertiser – Property owners set to miss out.
- The Australian Newspaper.
- The Courier Mail – Banks continue their crackdown on investor home loans.
- The Daily Telegraph – ‘One in five home loan customers won’t be able to meet their repayments if interest rates rise’
- The Daily Telegraph – ‘Stressed home loan customers are struggling to meet their mortgage repayments’
- The Daily Telegraph – ‘What should you do with the interest rate drop?’
- The Daily Telegraph – Foreign incomes do not count for temporary residents buying property in Australia
- The Daily Telegraph – Banks use interest rates as high as nine per cent to determine home loan serviceability.
- The Edge Markets – Australia’s lending rules are about to batter home buyers.
- The Finance Professional.
- Your Investment Property Magazine (page 3).
- Your Mortgage Magazine – ‘What Australians can do with the rate cut’
- Your Mortgage Magazine – ‘Rate cuts still coming for home loan customers’
- Your Mortgage Magazine – Discounts For Professionals.
He also writes a blog and a monthly column for Smart Property Investor Magazine.
If they had ten stars, I would tick them all! The service, follow up, expertise, professionalism, is beyond anything I have ever experienced in my entire 35 year plus working life!
To Binay and Otto, I cannot express how grateful my husband and I are from the tremendous service we received from you both as representatives of the Home Loans group. Believe me when I say these guys really are the experts in Home Loans.
Perhaps there are many who know about home loans but it’s not what you may or may not know, but it’s the way you are treated in a service industry. These people have great patience, deep knowledge of their business and will explain everything in detail.
Thank you so very much a ten out of ten experience. Give them a call, they really are the best in their field!
Otto and Rojina have been meticulous in providing advice and following through on their commitments throughout our dealings with Home Loan Experts. There have been regular updates provided to us, at times on a daily basis.
We have been impressed their willingness to offer divergent approaches and alternative strategies. All in all an exceptional service, which we have greatly appreciated.