flagFounded: 1835, became known as ANZ in 1951
businessOwned by: ASX Listed
monetization_onFunded by: Retail deposits and wholesale capital markets
account_balanceLender type: Major Bank
ANZ is one of Australia’s four major banks and one of the top 50 banks in the world. ANZ’s business banking division is very aggressive in the Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) market and has gained a significant market share as a result.
In particular ANZ has been successful by offering great pricing, higher LVRs on commercial property and business loans secured by residential property.
How does ANZ Commercial compare?
They’re great at
- Small business loans secured by real estate
- Financing commercial property investment
- Refinancing commercial property loans
- Purchase/start-up of a franchise
- Purchase/start-up of a medical practice
- Accepting security over a rent roll, accounting practice or financial planner’s trail income
- Low doc business loans
- Property development loans
- Bank bill loans for larger loan sizes
- Bussiness finance solutions includingoverdrafts and term loans
- Working with existing ANZ customers
- Working with mortgage brokers
- Business owners who need branch access or a local business banking centre
But they’ve got some drawbacks…
- Lending criteria is strict
- Maximum loan term is 15 years
- Low doc commercial property loans
- They’re unlikely to accept a bad credit history
- Annual reviews may be needed on some loan facilities
- Without a good contact, working with the bank can be difficult
- Good small business bankers get promoted or become mortgage brokers
What commercial & business loan types do they have?
ANZ has a range of business loans including a term loan, which allows you to pay off your debt over 15 years, and an overdraft. Smaller business loans can be unsecured however the rates will be high and the repayment terms may be onerous.
They’re also a great option for both businesses that want to buy their premises and investors in commercial property.
Can you negotiate your loan terms?
Borrowing as a business or to invest in commercial property is nothing like borrowing for a home loan. You’ll find that banks rarely advertise their interest rates on their website and as a borrower you’re left in the dark about how much you should actually be paying.
As a mortgage broker we will usually put a term sheet together with the rate, conditions, and fees that we think are appropriate then we’ll play several banks off against each other. Unless they sharpen their pencil and give you a better deal, they’ll miss out on your business.
ANZ Commercial client story: Ali, NSW
- To buy an industrial-zoned property for investment purposes.
- To get a great interest rate.
With a strong property portfolio under his belt already, Ali decided it was time to branch out into the commercial space and found a really unique opportunity in southwest Sydney.
The property itself was residential but the land was zoned industrial.
With a considerable amount of equity in his home to put towards his deposit, Ali wanted to get a good commercial interest rate.
The only problem that he was likely going to have was that he was a professional property investor and had limited income evidence to provide to the bank.
Since he was borrowing just under $1 million, Ali could have borrowed up to 80% as a low doc borrower with ANZ Commercial. However, due to the amount of equity that he had to put towards the purchase, he borrowed less than 70% of the property value (LVR).
He was even able to qualify for a similar rate to a full doc residential home loan and his mortgage broker was able to push for a loan approval fee of 0.5% of the property value (around $5,000). This normally would have cost him $10,000!
Ali’s commercial loan was approved and he has since rented out the property to a residential tenant and leased part of the land out to a business to use as a storage yard.
He now has a dual income property!
Compare ANZ Commercial to other lenders
Not sure which lender is right for you? Not sure which ANZ commercial loan you should choose? Our Commercial Loan Experts can help!
Talk to one of our mortgage brokers by calling us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form.