businessOwned by: ASX Listed
monetization_onFunded by: Retail deposits and wholesale capital markets
securityLMI Provider: Genworth
account_balanceLender type: Bank
Unlike most banks, Bank of Queensland has nearly two thirds of its branches “owner managed”. The franchise like structure, great interest rates and success with mortgage brokers has enabled BOQ to become one of the more popular banks in QLD.
How do BOQ’s home loans compare?
They’re great at
- Interest rate specials if you apply at the right time
- Special discounts for doctors, accountants, engineers and lawyers
- People who want to have a close relationship with their local branch
- Many of their branches are franchisees and give better service
- A competitive range of commercial property loans and business loans
But they’ve got some drawbacks…
- Their credit team are pedantic and ask unnecessary questions
- They outdated systems which cause delays
- They’re usually slow to assess loan applications
- They don’t usually make exceptions to their lending policy
What home loans types do they have?
BOQ has a range of full feature home loans such as their Clear Path Variable and Professional Package as well as some no frills home loans like their Economy Home Loan and Fixed Rate Home Loan.
They have a few speciality products such as waived LMI for professionals that is offered through Bank of QLD specialist and a bridging loan for people who are selling and buying a new home.
Tips for getting a great rate with BOQ
It’s all about timing!
BOQ is trying to grow its market share so it’s offering special discounts to lure customers to refinance to BOQ. If you’re buying a home or refinancing at the right time, then you may get a great deal on a variable rate or fixed rate that is below what the major banks can offer.
A good mortgage broker can also put in a pricing request to see what BOQ is willing to offer to win your business.
Use BOQ Specialist’s home loan application form to prepare for your home loan application.
Note: This is the latest mortgage application form effective March 2017. Please refer to Bank of Queensland for their most up-to-date document requirements.
Compare BOQ to other lenders
Not sure which lender is right for you? Not sure which Bank of QLD home loan you should choose? Our Home Loan Experts can help!
Talk to one of our mortgage brokers by calling us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free assessment form.