Call us now 1300-889-743

Spouse Visa Mortgage

Are you on a spouse visa?

This page is for people who are on a temporary or provisional spouse visa and married to an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

You may be eligible to apply for an Australian mortgage!

Even though your husband/wife or de facto partner is not yet a permanent resident or Australian citizen, you may still be eligible to borrow up to 95% of the property value.

Read on to find out how you can buy a home or investment property.

How much can you borrow?

Most banks and other lenders only lend 80% of the purchase price due to strict Lenders Mortgage Insurer (LMI) policies.

However, some banks will allow you to borrow up to 95% of the purchase price! To qualify to borrow 95% of the purchase price, you must be in a strong financial position and have a stable relationship.

What are the lending criteria?

Our most competitive lenders have the following policies:

  • You cannot be buying separately: The person on the temporary spouse visa must be buying the property with an Australian citizen. Please see our temporary resident mortgage page if you are not buying a property together with your partner.
  • De facto relationships are accepted: You do not have to be married. The banks accept people on a spouse visa that are in a de facto relationship, including same sex relationships.
  • The relationship must be legitimate and continuing: Most lenders take a common sense approach in looking at how long you have been together and may reject your application if you have not been with your partner for a significant period of time.
  • Legal structure of ownership: Some lenders require couples to purchase a property as ‘joint tenants,’ not ‘tenants in common.’ However not all lenders have this policy and may allow other legal ownership structures.

You must be buying the property with an Australian citizen and you must be in a relationship with them. If you do not meet the above lending criteria your mortgage will be limited to 80% of the property value.

It is also important that you have a good credit history, a solid income and a stable employment situation. These factors decrease the risk to the bank in lending to you.

How can we help you?

We know which lenders will approve your loan despite the fact that you are on a temporary spouse visa.

If you are married to someone who has permanent status in Australia, the risk to the lender is reduced and banks may be more inclined to lend to you.

To find a lender that will accept your situation contact us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online. Our expert team of mortgage brokers can help you get approval!

Can I qualify for a mortgage on a provisional spouse visa?

Most lenders have very strict policy when it comes to individuals on a temporary spouse visa.

This is because they have not yet been granted permanent entry into Australia and there is a chance that their application for permanent residency will be declined, resulting in their departure from Australia.

If this happens, they will no longer be in a position to repay the loan. Accordingly, lenders consider these borrowers as a high risk.

Which spouse visas are accepted?

Most banks accept the following spousal visa subclasses for those who are married or in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

  • Offshore Partner Visa: Temporary and Permanent – (Subclass 309/100).
  • Onshore Partner Visa: Temporary and Permanent – (Subclass 820/801).
  • Other visa types accepted: Spouses that are on another type of temporary visa are also acceptable.

To see if your visa subclass is classified in this way, please see the complete list on our temporary resident mortgage page.

Will I need a deposit?

Yes, you will be required to provide a 5% deposit.

In some cases you may be required to provide genuine savings as a deposit. This policy will apply if your partner is on a 457 working visa.

Some banks are more flexible and may allow you to fund the deposit through a gift or government grant.

Speak to our mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 or enquire online to find out whether you will need a genuinely saved deposit.

If you don’t have a deposit you should consider applying for a guarantor loan. That way you can borrow 100% of the purchase price.

You will also need additional funds to cover stamp duty and any legal or conveyancing costs that may be applicable.

Can my fiancé buy a home with me?

It may be possible for you to purchase property with your partner, even though you are not yet married.

It all depends on their current visa status. If they are on a Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) and are being sponsored by you (an Australian permanent resident or Australian citizen), it may be possible to buy a home together.

However, if you are not yet on a partner visa, then it may be best to buy solely in your own name. Please call our mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and we will let you know if your fiancé is eligible.

Am I eligible for any government grants?

Occasionally the Australian government provides incentives to Australian citizens and permanent residents who are buying a new property, building a property or buying their first home.

If you are buying with your spouse or partner, whether married or de facto, you may also be eligible for certain government grants.

Will I need FIRB approval?

If you are purchasing the property with your Australian citizen spouse, as ‘joint tenants’, then you will not be required to seek Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval.

That is the only exemption available for temporary residents.

FIRB approval is usually an uncomplicated and fast process and approval is usually granted within two weeks.

How will the banks view my relationship?

Being on a temporary spouse visa is not an issue for most banks, as long as the circumstances of your relationship and its duration, make it likely that you will stay together.

For example: a husband from a foreign country and his wife who is an Australian citizen apply for a home loan. Their relationship has only been going for one month.

The wife is not working, so the banks are relying on her spouse to prove that they can afford the debt. In this situation, it is unlikely that the banks will approve their application for a home loan.

However, if they had been together for a longer period of time or if they had children together then lenders would see this as a stable relationship and normal lending criteria would apply.

If you would like to speak to someone to discuss whether your situation would be accepted by the banks, contact our mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and we will contact you.

Apply for a spouse visa mortgage today!

With our specialised knowledge we have helped people on a temporary spouse visa get great loan packages with low interest rates from some of the major banks across Australia.

Want to discuss your situation? Call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and our mortgage brokers will assess your ability to borrow up to 95% of the purchase price!

  • Carla

    I’m French and have been in a de facto relationship with an Australian guy for almost a year now. Do the banks have restrictions for de facto partners while giving out home loans?

  • Hi Carla,

    Your current visa status determines your eligibility to buy a property with your partner. You may be able to buy a home together if you’re on a Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) and being sponsored by an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Moreover, when a temporary resident is buying a home jointly with an Australian citizen, there’re some options where they they’ll be assessed as natives.

  • Nic

    I am on a de facto 309 visa with an Australian citizen am I able to apply for a mortgage?

  • Hi Nic,
    Firstly congrats on choosing an Aussie for your partner. Excellent choice.
    A 309 visa is a temporary visa that leads to a permanent 100 visa. This is acceptable for some of our lenders for lending purposes.
    – You can borrow up to 95% of the property value to buy a home
    – You must buy jointly with your defacto
    – You can buy with no deposit if your partner’s parent’s guarantee the mortgage
    Please fill in our free assessment form and one of our mortgage brokers will call you to complete a full assessment of your situation.

  • Taegen

    My husband is currently around 4 months away from becoming eligible for his permanent residency on the 801/820 visas. We have been married 2 years in January and he has lived in AUS for around 2 1/2 years. I am an Australian Citizen. We have $30,000 deposit. How much can we borrow with that deposit? Our servicing of a loan is not a problem we earn good money, and have both been in our jobs over 2 years, will he be approved with me if we apply before the PR comes through? We are looking at houses under $400,000

  • Hi Taegen,

    It’s likely that you’d qualify to borrow 95% inclusive of LMI or 100% with a guarantor. On that basis you should be ok to buy now for $400,000 depending on the state you are in, if you qualify for first home benefits and the amount of other purchasing costs. Worst case you’d have a small shortfall of up to $10,000.

    Once your husband is a PR then you’d qualify to borrow 95% + LMI which would mean that you would definitely be ok with your current deposit size.

    We can do a full assessment now and then either help you to buy now or hold off until your husband has PR.

  • Taegen

    Thanks have submitted my details

  • No worries best of luck!

  • Andrea

    Hi, I’m in a de facto relationship with New Zealander and currently on 461 visa (temporary). But I’m a stay home mum at the moment (baby only 8 weeks). Is that possible we can apply for a mortgage together? Thanks!

  • Hi Andrea,

    Yes a NZ Citizen (Subclass 444) and NZ Family Relationship (Subclass 461), living in Australia, buying a home together is acceptable to some of our lenders. We’d need to assess the rest of your situation to confirm how much you can borrow, but you should get a great rate. Please call us on 1300 889 743

    P.s. Congrats on your new baby! We wish you all the best :)

  • Prema

    Hi, I am a permanent resident and my de facto on 457 visa. I am unemployed at the moment and resuming work in next six months after my training. We both are doctors and in between us have saving for deposit up to 150k. Will we be able to borrow and how much can we borrow? Thanks Anika

  • Hi Anika,

    Thanks for posting.

    Yes we can help with this. We can even get you waived LMI up to 90% of the property value or a discounted rate as we can negotiate special pricing for doctors. Normally they don’t allow 457 visa holders to access this special pricing however we’ve managed to do this a few times recently. If you wait until you’re back at work we may be able to get you up to 95% without LMI.

    If you can provide evidence of your training and or your previous income then this will help us to get you an approval. As a general rule we can convince the credit department of banks to make exceptions for doctors even when one applicant is a temporary resident.

    If you’d like our help then please fill in this form

  • Jhen

    Hi! So I am on my temporary visa and still waiting for my permanent visa for almost two years now. I’ve been in Australia for more than two years now. I’m a little bit confused about this Surcharge Duty. It says that a foreign person has to pay surcharge duty when buying a property. Me and my husband (he is an Australian citizen) are planning to buy a property this year. We are looking for an off the plan set to be completed by mid 2018. But we dont wanna pay the surcharge rate if it really applies to me, and we dont wanna wait longer either. Worst is he can’t get a loan without my name on it because of his financial status so it has to be us. I am so confused.

  • Jhen

    It is $547K so it no stamp duty and we are first time home owner if ever. What is the best thing to do?

  • Hi Jhen,
    If you buy just in his name then you won’t pay the surcharge. Some of our lenders can have the property in just his name and the loan in both names so we can still use your income.
    In addition to this some of our lenders consider an Australian Citizen plus a Foreign Citizen (TR) Spouse to be assessed under their Australian Citizen policy.
    I would strongly advise you not to buy off the plan as it is actually a far higher risk than it looks. It’s better to buy an existing property and forgo some first home benefits OR buy a complete new property. The reason for this is that if you buy off the plan you are committing to buy now yet your loan approval will expire before settlement. If our lenders change their temp resident partner policy then you could be left without a loan when settlement arrives in 2018.
    Here’s some links with more info:
    If you’d like our assistance to get approved at a great rate then please click here

  • Jhen

    But I would like to put it under my name too as soon as I got my PR visa. Is it possible to add my name after the aquisition? I might pay more in the future.

  • Once you have PR then you can sign the contract and you’ll pay no additional duty. Alternatively you can buy now in your husband’s name and at a later date (after settlement) you can add yourself to the title and in most states the stamp duty is waived as this is a transfer between a married couple. This also works for de facto couples. We’ve done this several times for customers especially where they purchased a home before being married and later add their husband / wife to title.

  • Jhen

    But the thing is we’ve been married for 2years already. They might know what we’re doing, you reckon? Also, I might not pay for the stamp duty or no additional duty but the process of adding my name up on the title would it cost me a lot to have it done?

  • They wouldn’t mind what you are doing. It’s totally fine. But best to call your state government to discuss as you may be able to get an exemption.
    Adding your name to the title would cost less than $1,000. It’s a simple form to fill in which if your conveyancer is nice will cost very little. The home loan needs to be reoriginated but a good mortgage broker will take care of that for you too.

  • Ingrid

    Hi, My husband is waiting for his PR (due later this year). He also has full time work. I am on maternity leave right now, but have a permanent job to return to in June. I also have a 300k mortgage on a property, which is currently rented out. We are looking to build a house (approx 300k) So are hoping to take out. Mortgage for this. I am wondering whether we have borrowing capacity?

  • Hi Ingrid
    Yes we can accept your expected income from when you return to work in June. We’ll need to use a buffer to make sure that you can make repayments until you return to work, but that isn’t a big deal. You can read more about this here
    If your husband is a temporary resident and you are an Australian citizen this is ok depending on a few particulars of your situation.
    If you’d like our help then please contact us

  • Kushil Demuni

    Hi I’m an Australian citizen and my wife is waiting for her pr. currently she is on 308 visa and we applied for the second stage of her pr (visa 100) 8 months ago. We are full time employees. I just want to know can we apply for a home loan without her pr? Or is it gonna be a problem

  • Hi Kushil,
    We can help, that should be fine with some of our lenders. Please apply ASAP as they’re about the change the rules for this.
    Also if you’re in NSW, VIC or QLD then it’s best to buy just in your name and to have the loan in both names. This avoids the additional stamp duty

  • Wan Ying

    Hi, I’m holding a 802 temporary partner visa, in a de facto relationship with an Australian citizen. We are looking to buy a house and land package which the land title in July 2018. And my eligible date to apply for 801 is 17 may 2018. I’m working full time in an investment company but he’s unemployed. But he do has heaps of savings in his bank account, approximately 200k. Are we able to get 80% loan for a house and land around $620k?

  • Hi Wan,
    As of today yes you would qualify. However will bank lending criteria be the same in 2018? We don’t know. Policies for temporary residents are regularly changing and we’ve heard rumours of more changes to come so I would not commit to buy off the plan / house and land package if I were you.
    Instead you may consider buying an existing property now or buying a new property that is already complete. In both cases you’d avoid this risk.
    P.s. if you’re in VIC, NSW or QLD you’d pay higher stamp duty on the 50% owned by you. If you buy in your partner’s name with both of you on the loan then it will avoid this. For most states I believe it’s your visa status at the time of settlement so if your PR comes through in time you may be ok. Best to call your state government’s stamp duty hotline to be sure.
    If you’d like help with a home loan then feel free to contact us

  • Scott

    Hi, my wife holds an 820 temporary Partner(spouse) visa and we are waiting to be granted our 801 permanent partner visa. Are we able to apply for a homeloan from a lender together as a joint application or do i have to apply as a sole applicant?

  • Hi Scott,
    Yes you can get approved now. If you’re in NSW, VIC or QLD then best to buy in your name only and have the loan in both names. This then avoids additional stamp duty. As a married couple this doesn’t matter too much.

  • Scott

    Oh ok, i was completing a dual home loan pre-approval application online through CBA and there as a question about my wife being an Aus’ citizen or PR and i said no and the online chat help provided to me indicated that that they only offer home loans to aus’citizens/PRs. Does this sound accurate or not?

  • Hi Scott,
    We’re specialists in this area and know which banks can help. If you’d like to get approved then please contact one of our mortgage brokers
    We have in the past got loans like this approved by CBA by putting forward the right case. So if you’d like to get approved with CBA then our broker will need additional documents from you.