Non-Resident Mortgage Calculator

Your situation

Where are you living?
What is your citizenship / visa status?
What are you looking to do?
How will you use your property?
Property value

Contact a mortgage broker

Talk to one of our mortgage brokers about your situation: Yes  No   

This calculator is designed to work out if you are eligible for an Australian mortgage to purchase or refinance real estate in Australia. It will check your situation against the policy of four major Australian lenders that we commonly recommend for non-resident loans.

Essential tips for non-resident borrowers

  • Reduce your loan amount: If all of the lenders are giving a “declined” result then it may be because you are borrowing a high percentage of the property value.
  • Have genuine savings: Australian lenders prefer to see that you have saved at least 5% of the purchase price. These funds must have been held in your account for three months or saved up over more than three months.
  • Ask us for help: Our mortgage brokers are experts in non-resident lending. Please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and we can let you know if you are eligible for a home loan.

Please note that there are some hidden catches in bank policies that are not taken into account by this calculator. For example, Australian banks will not lend to residents of some specific countries due to potential tax issues.

The banks also assess different types of temporary residents (457 visa / 820 visa etc) in different ways or people who are applying as a couple with someone who is an Australian citizen.

  • M Baracchi

    I’m from Dubai and I want to buy and gift my daughter a home in Australia, who is living and studying there. Will it be easier for me to buy it in my name or my daughter’s name? Are there any legal hassles?

  • Hi, if your daughter is on a student visa and studying full-time, it will be difficult to show that she can service the loan by herself. As a non-resident living overseas, you may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value but you will also have to get FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) approval before you can buy a property in Australia. You can speak with one of our non-resident specialist mortgage brokers by calling on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss this in detail.

  • nimmi

    my friend is having VISITOR (Class FA) VISITOR
    (Subclass 600) she has applied 143 parent visa also my two daughters are living australia and they are citizen can i buy a house in australia

  • Hi Nimmi,

    When your friend has her 143 parent visa approved we can help her to buy. While on a visitor visa she wouldn’t qualify.

    Yes your daughters can qualify to buy a house. We’d need to know more about your personal situation to see if you can qualify. If you’re living overseas and do not have an Australian visa / PR / citizenship then it’s usually easiest just to buy in your daughter’s names. We can assist with this, just ask your daughters to call us on 1300 889 743.

  • Bazza Formez

    Hi, I’m a NZ based citizen looking to invest in NSW rental property. I see that from your calculator I would qualify for a loan. Would I need to provide income statements / proof of my income here ? Or if deposit was sufficient, would it be a low doc type loan ? What are typical terms and rates ? Thanks…

  • Hi Bazza,
    We’d need to see your income which usually means payslips and your recent bank statements to show your salary being credited to your account.
    We can often get NZ citizens buying in NSW rates in the range of 3.8% to 4.5% at the moment which is well below what other non-resident investors pay. Aussie banks seem to like you kiwis :)
    Typical term is 30 years. Interest only periods of up to 5 years are available as long as the lender’s qualifying criteria are met.
    If you like complete our enquiry form and one of our NZ investor specialist mortgage brokers will call you. Have a great weekend

  • Elise

    I’ve been working here in Australia on the Employer Nomination 186 visa. I would like to know if I can get a home loan and how much LTV I can borrow up to?

  • Hey Elise,

    You can get a home loan as long as you’re able to meet all standard Australian bank lending criteria. Because of your 186 visa, you can borrow at a maximum of 95% of the property value or even 100% if you have a guarantor who owns an Australian property. Please call 1300 889 743 if you’d like to talk with a 186 visa home loan specialist.

  • Back

    What about a home loan for someone with contributory aged parent visa subclass 864?

  • Hi Back,

    With a 864 visa home loan, you should be able to borrow up to 95% of the property value. However, please note that the different retirement age policies of the banks will be applicable and you’ll need to have a strong exit strategy if you don’t have a co-applicant. You can check out the retirement age home loan for details:

    Please feel free to call 1300 889 743 if you’d like to speak with a 864 visa home loan specialist.