If you’re a foreign citizen living outside of Australia, most home loans are only available at rates of up to 8.00% p.a.
Every year thousands of foreign nationals, Australian expats and temporary residents decide to buy a home or investment property in Australia.
This section is designed to help you understand how the buying process works and how we can help you to apply for a non-resident mortgage in Australia.
Our popular guides for non-residents
What you need to know!Firstly you should read about how to buy property in Australia, followed by the rules for foreigners investing in Australia. Note: You may need approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB), depending on your circumstances.
Can you get a home loan or investment loan?There are different home loan types available for different types of borrowers, whether you are a citizen of New Zealand, a foreign citizen working in Australia or a foreign citizen living overseas.
How much can I borrow?Most people buying real estate in Australia are able to borrow 80% of the property value. In some cases it is possible to borrow up to a maximum of 95%. However, this depends on where you are living, if you are an Australian citizen or not, as well as the terms of your current visa. To find out if you could be eligible to borrow over 80% LVR, speak to our specialist mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss your situation.
What are the features of non-resident mortgages?The great news is that some Australian banks now offer the same home loan features and interest rates for non-residents as they do for normal borrowers.
- Minimum loan size: $100,000
- Maximum loan size: Varies depending on your location
- Maximum LVR: Varies depending on your situation
- Interest only: 15 years maximum
- Fixed rates: 12 years maximum (15 years for Australian Citizens)
- Loan term: 30 years maximum
- Professional package discounts: Available
- Construction home loans: Available
- Extra repayments: Available
- Redraw: Available
- 100% offset: Available
- Internet banking: Available
- Phone banking: Available, however may not work for international calls
NSW Surcharge Purchaser Duty Exemptions and Refunds for Foreign Buyers In 2023Buyers from the following countries are now exempt from paying surcharge purchaser duty in NSW:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Foreign income mortgage calculatorDiscover if the bank will accept your foreign income
How do the banks view foreign investors?Lending policy for non-resident home loans differs from bank to bank. As a general rule, the banks take one of three different views on applications from non-residents:
- Declined outright: These lenders either believe foreign citizens or overseas borrowers are a high risk, or their systems are not set up to be able to deal with customers that reside outside of Australia.
- Lending restrictions apply: These lenders will accept Australian expats, temporary residents of Australia and foreign investors however, they may restrict the amount that you can borrow or require additional supporting documents.
- Special lending parameters: A select few lenders actively pursue this market! They have special credit teams to assess applications from non-residents, and have 24-hour call centres to handle calls from overseas customers. They often have no restrictions for Australian citizens living abroad, and have flexible lending policies for temporary residents, particularly 457 visa, 309/310 visa and TSS visa holders.
Which lender should I choose?It is critical that you apply with the right bank! Our mortgage brokers specialise in lending to new migrants, Australians living overseas and foreign investors. We can assess your application and submit it with a lender that will approve it the first time round. Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will call you to discuss the mortgages that you may qualify for.
Invest in Australian property!With a booming economy and affordable locations, many foreign investors are buying properties in Australia. If you’re looking to buy a house in Australia from overseas, you may wish to speak to our mortgage brokers. We can advise you of your prospects of obtaining finance and help you apply with the right lender. When you finally buy your investment property, you may wish to enlist the services of a real estate agent who will help you find suitable tenants for your house. Also, check out the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) page to find out if you need Government approval to purchase the property in Australia. To speak to experts in non-resident mortgages call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online today!
Why use us?More Australians use a mortgage broker to obtain their home loan than any other method. Unlike most other Australian mortgage brokers, we at Home Loan Experts, are specialists in non-resident lending. We can quickly find you the best mortgage from one of the major lenders that we are accredited with. More reasons to contact us:
- Most of our services are FREE.
- We are accredited with over 40 major banks and non-conforming lenders.
- Our mortgage brokers are experts at non-resident home loans.
- As members of MFAA and AFCA, we uphold the highest ethical industry standards.