Am I allowed to add my partner?

Yes, you can add your partner to your property title to make you the joint owners of the property but they need to have an interest or share in the property.

The existing loan may also need to reflect this new ownership structure, which means that the loan may need to be refinanced.

Here are some quick facts to get you started:

  • You can add your de facto partner or spouse to your title.
  • You’ll need to refinance your home loan.
  • In most states of Australia, you won’t pay stamp duty (conditions apply).
  • It’s best to use a conveyancer but it can cost you $500 to $2,000.
  • Your partner must meet standard bank lending policy.

In some cases, when someone is removing an ex-partner from the title they are also adding their new spouse to their title. If that’s the case then please refer to our page on buying out an ex-partner.

How to add your partner’s name in your property title

You can add your partner’s name to your home loan in two simple steps:

Step 1: Add your partner to your home loan

If you have an existing home loan, you must inform your lender first before you go ahead and grant ownership to your partner. Your lender will tell you what documents you need to submit to complete the process.

If your partner isn’t on the home loan yet, you need to add in your partner’s name to the mortgage first. If your partner’s name is already on the home loan or you have a joint home loan, you can skip this step.

This is a great opportunity to get a better deal on your mortgage because you’ll have to refinance your home loan.

To kick off the refinancing process, you need to complete your lender’s discharge form first and then you can switch to another lender. You can also apply for a joint loan with the same lender as long as they’re willing to offer you a better deal.

Once you’ve added your partner’s name to your home loan, you can move on to the next step.

Step 2: Adding your partner to your property title

After your partner is added to your home loan, you’ll need to fill in the necessary forms and apply with your state government to add your partner to your property title.

Generally, you’ll have to fill in the following:

  • Transfer form: You can obtain the transfer form from your state government website. You’ll have to record your name as both transferor and transferee and add your partner’s name as transferee.
  • Certificate of title: The original certificate of title may be held by you or your lender. You’ll be required to provide this document.
  • Mortgage documents: If you already have a mortgage, you must first seek advice from your lender. This way, they can provide any relevant mortgage documents that may be required to add in your partner’s name to your property title.

A conveyancer can help make this entire process very easy so we recommend you consider speaking with one before you proceed on your own.

Help! I’m confused!

If you’re not sure about how to add your partner to your property title or you’re having trouble dealing with your bank, we can help you.

We have mortgage brokers with many years of industry experience and we know how to get things done and what to look out for in this situation.

You can discuss your situation with one of our credit specialists by calling us on 1300 889 743 or by enquiring online.

Beware of the traps!

By adding someone to your property title, you’re essentially giving ownership rights and control over your home to them.

Make sure you understand the consequences of your decision beforehand to avoid murky water in the future.

Here are a few general questions you should answer before you add in your partner’s name to your property title:

  • Are you on a fixed rate? Since you’ll have to refinance your home loan, you can incur expensive break costs if you’re on a fixed rate. There may also be legal fees and valuation fees if you require a lawyer.
  • Will you pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI)? When you refinance your home loan, you may have to pay LMI if your loan amount exceeds 80% of the property value.
  • Are you adding them to help them get credit or a mortgage? It’s not recommended that you add a partner to your property title to use the property as the collateral for a loan. This is because you’ll be held fully responsible in case your partner fails to repay the home loan. In extreme cases, you can lose your property.
  • What if you get divorced later? We can’t advise you on this, but it’s something that may or may not affect your legal position so if this is a concern for you then please seek legal advice.

We have mortgage brokers who specialise in refinancing home loans. We can help you add your partner to your property title and get a better deal when switching your mortgage.

You can call us on 1300 889 743 to speak with one of our brokers or enquire online for a free assessment.

Will I pay stamp duty?

In some cases, stamp duty may not be applicable when adding your partner to your property title. This is mainly for married, de facto and same sex couples.

You’ll have to fill in an exemption form in order to take advantage of this exemption. You can obtain the form your state office of revenue or your state government website.

Carefully read the exemption requirements for your state. The devil is in the detail!

The definition of a ‘partner’ is something that can vary between states. Particularly for de facto couples.

Before the exemption is realised, you must meet a number of conditions which can change from state to state. This is why it’s best to always check with your lender before adding in someone’s name to your property title.

You can learn more about stamp duty and exemptions from your state government website:

Our credit specialists are here to help!

Adding your partner to your property title can be complicated especially if you have a unique personal situation or home loan feature.

However, our mortgage brokers can help make this into a relatively straight-forward process and help you switch lenders.

Call 1300 889 743 or enquire online to speak with one of our mortgage brokers today!

  • H. Meeson

    I’m not entirely sure of adding in my partner to my property title and it’s been too much of a hassle dealing with my bank. Can you guys help me out?

  • Hi, yes, we can help you out. We have mortgage brokers with many years of industry experience and we know how to get things done and what to look out for in this situation.You can discuss your situation with one of our credit specialists by calling us on 1300 889 743 or by enquiring online:

  • Sheri

    How is stamp duty actually calculated?

  • Hi Sheri,
    Stamp duty is calculated on a sliding scale as a percentage of the purchase price. It starts off as a relatively low percentage and increases for premium properties.

  • Devin

    I just want to ask if I want to buy out my ex from the home loan then will I need to pay stamp duty?

  • Hey Devin,

    In most cases, you won’t have to pay stamp duty to buy out the share of the property owned by your ex-partner. This isn’t just for the family home but also for investment properties that are bought out from the divorce settlement. Please note though that you may still be liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the transfer of ownership for any investment properties. This is a complicated area of law so please talk to your solicitor or conveyancer to confirm if stamp duty will be applicable to the transfer of ownership.

  • Dee Vassallo

    Hi, just a question for you….if purchase a property with my two sons and down the track they decide to buy into another property to live in what has to happen to the title of the first property if anything? (option 1 – they stay on both titles, option 2 – they are removed from the first title)

  • Kayla Maree


    Is it normal to be quoted $4000-$5000 to have my name added to my Fiancés mortgage, for refinancing purposes?

  • Hi Kayla,
    It would depend on your situation and your Fiancé’s mortgage.
    If they owe over 80% of the property value then there would be a fee for LMI
    If their loan is fixed then there may be a break fee
    If you are also being added to the title then your conveyancer should charge approx $1,000 and the government should charge approx $300 (depending on the state you are in). The lender may charge a discharge fee of approx $350.
    If you’d like a second opinion then please feel free to contact us

  • Helen

    I want to buy a property with my daughter as I’m retired and want to help her out with her 3 boys as she was recently divorced. We want to go Tenants in Common where I can provide 50% and she provide 50%. To do this my daughter has to borrow some funds to pay for her share. I’ve been told I have to Deed of Gift my 50% to my daughter before the bank will approve her application for the loan. This leaves me with nothing in my name which is very concerning to me. It also smells of Elder Abuse which it seems is perfectly fine by the bank. I don’t know what to do as I want to help my daughter but I can’t leave myself with nothing.

  • Hi Helen,
    You shouldn’t have to do this. You can do a loan that is set up as follows. For example I’ve assumed the property is worth $500,000 and your daughter is borrowing 50%.

    Property: Owned 50% each as tenants in common, value $500,000.
    Borrower: Your daughter $250,000 loan, she makes the repayments.
    Mortgagor: You and your daughter (i.e. you are both providing security).

    In the event that your daughter does not pay the loan then you are still liable for her loan. That’s unavoidable. However the house would be in both names which protects your interests. Note that not many banks will allow this structure. I’ll email you and cc one of our mortgage brokers who specialises in this area.

  • Libby

    My soon to be husband, who I live with, would like to add me to the title of his home. Do I need to be added to the mortgage? I am a long term casual employee with a bad credit score/rating due to a previous marriage split and therefore don’t think I would qualify. The house has a great equity with a mortgage of approx 35% of current market value. He has had the home for 17 years. We are in Melbourne.
    Any advice would be appreciated thanks

  • Hi Libby,
    Yes if you are on title then you must be on the mortgage as well. The good news is that as you own a low percentage of the property value and assuming your husband is on a good income then we may be able to make that work with a major lender with good interest rates as an exception to policy. I’ll email you and cc one of our specialists who can assist you further.

  • brenda

    Hello, I recently bought a house with my partner(non married) and I’m not on the house tile, the lender said in order for me to be on the title we would have to be married. we’ve been living in the house about to be a year in june. is there any way that I can still add my name to the house. we live in Texas. any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

  • marian

    Is this the same in Queensland?

  • Yes

  • Anna

    Hi i have a house in Melbourne Vic under Mortage and would like to add at least one of my parents name on the title as they have been contributing to loan repayments since i purchased the place 14years ago

  • Hi Anna,
    Yes this can be done. Let’s say your house is valued at $1,000,000 and you owe $200,000 and you want your parents to own 50% of your home. You’d pay stamp duty on $500,000 (approx $20k) and the loan would be refinanced to be in your name as well as the name of your parent(s) who are on title. It’s relatively simple to do with the assistance of a conveyancer and a mortgage broker.

  • Anna

    Thank you kindly for your reply , fantastic the vale of the house is 850,000.00 in Reservoir the outstanding mortgage is 95,00.00 my happy are happy for me to have them as 25% on the title , Thant means I would have less expenses to pay , MY Parents want to get this fixed because they have another daughter my sister and for the future want there sacrifices towards this house to be somewhat left to he ,will be making contact with your fantastic company very soon . one more question is it possible to put there names on the title witho-ught them being on the portage Anna Manini

  • Hi Anna
    If they’re on title then they must be on the loan. The alternative if that you can refinance and gift them cash equivalent to 25% of your home. Then it’s all even (I think). It may be simpler this way if you can afford the larger loan.

  • Stuace

    My husband and I have a joint mortgage and I want my name added to the title of the house. Do I still need to refinance? I remember at the time I was advised by our broker it would cost $350 to have this done and we decline. That was approx 8 years ago. Would it still cost roughly the same now?

  • Hi Stuace
    The cost would depend on the state that you are in. I’d say the cost would be more like $600 or so when considering mortgage discharge, mortgage registration and transfer fees. The majority of these fees are government fees.
    If your loan is 8 years old or so then the rate you are paying is likely well above normal as the banks have played a lot of games in this area. If you’d like our team to check your rate and help with the change of name then please call us on 1300 889 743.

  • Jolie Tang

    My mum has her property that has been paid off. She is willing to add my husband and myself onto her title. Just wondering how much it would cost, fees or if we have to pay stamp duty etc

  • Yes, your mum can add you and your husband on the property title. For that , your mum will need to fill in the necessary forms (transfer form and certificate of title) and apply with your state government to add you guys to your property title.
    If there was an existing mortgage for the property, then your mum should have refinance the property, but since it’s already paid off there’e no need of the refinance. Yes, you have to pay stamp duty in this case but it’ll be less compared to a new purchase. For the exact costs, you could check your respective state office website.

  • John Posthuma

    Very soon my mortgage will be paid off and when it is I want to add my ex partner to the title
    in order to make sure she receives my house upon my passing. Will this however impact on my Singles Old Aged Pension from Centrelink ?

  • Hi John,
    You can add your ex-partner to the title of the property. Regarding whether it’ll affect your future pension or not, we can’t say for sure so, you should better speak to Centrelink about this.

  • John Posthuma


  • Lory Verde

    My Mum, dad, sister and partner are on the loan ATM however they want to get out of the loan and I would like me to be added on with my partner is there any chance this can be done?

  • Hi Lory,
    Yes, it can be done. You have to refinance existing home loan to another lender or with the same bank and could remove your parents, and add yourself to the loan. But you and your partner should be able to service the home loan.
    Call us on 1300 889 743 or fill our online enquiry form and discuss your situation with a specialist mortgage broker.

  • Simona

    Hi, will I need to pay stamp duty when transferring 50% of a residential property to my spouse? The property is in Victoria.

  • Hi Simona,
    Before 1 July 2017, transfers between spouses or domestic partners were exempt from stamp duty regardless of the type of property. Since 1 July 2017, only transfers of a principal place of residence (PPR) made for no consideration are exempt. You should consult with a solicitor or contact the State Revenue Office Victoria for confirmation.

  • Ruby

    Hi, my partner has moved in with me, what do I have to do to add him to my home loan so we can refinance for a better deal? The only issue I see is I’ve done 5 years with bankruptcy on my file which is gone now so, I’m with a lender paying 6.55%. That’s not a problem right?

  • Hi Ruby,
    You can add your partner to the title while refinancing your home loan. As the adverse listing on your credit file i.e. bankruptcy has fallen off your credit file you may qualify for significantly reduced interest rates than the one you’re currently paying. There’s some great deals to be had right now as all the major banks are announcing cuts to their interest rate. There are some 3 years fixed rates in the mid 3 per cent and low 4%.

  • keagan

    Hi there,
    I’m looking to add my wife’s name on the property title of both my properties. Both the properties are mortgaged. How do I move forward?

  • Hi Keagan,
    You can apply to add your wife’s name to the property title with your current lender(s). Alternatively, you can refinance the mortgage to a new lender and add your partner on the title. In most states, you don’t pay stamp duty when adding a partner to your title (conditions apply). So, you should consult with your state’s Office of State Revenue.