businessOwned by: Customer Owned Banking Association (COBA)
monetization_onFunded by: Retail deposits and wholesale capital markets
securityLMI Provider: Genworth LMI
account_balanceLender type: Customer-Owned Bank
Police Bank is not an available lender on our panel. This is a review only.
Police Bank is an award-winning mutual bank based in Sydney, providing services throughout NSW and the ACT. It was formed in 1964 as the NSW Police Credit Union and has since become one of Australia’s biggest customer-owned banks.
Its services range from bank accounts and credit cards to home loans, business loans, insurance products and car loans.
Police Bank has garnered numerous awards, including Money magazine’s “Investment Lender of the Year” in 2020.
How do Police Bank’s home loans compare?
- Discounted rates for police
- One of the banks offering the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme
- Flexible repayment options
- Construction loans
- Interest-only Loans
- All of the home loan products have a redraw facilities
- No annual or monthly fees
- Interest offset account available for variable Loans
- Ability to split loans
- No early exit fees
- Competitive interest rates for home loans
- Loan-to-value ratio (LVR) above 90% available with mortgage insurance
- Provides home loans for low amounts
- Good customer service
- First Home Loan Deposit Scheme has limited spots available
- No expat home loans
- Higher rates for investment loans
- Services are limited to NSW and the ACT
- Interest offset Account is not available on Interest-only or Fixed Loans
- Not getting approved with bad credit
- No approval for self-employed borrowers who cannot prove their income
What types of home loans does Police Bank offer?
Police Bank offers five home loans, including some for owner-occupiers and investors. Its First Home Loan is popular.
Owner-occupier home loans
Police Bank provides three types of home loans. The most popular is the First Home Loan (also known as First Home Loan Deposit Scheme).
You can borrow up to 95% of the value of the home with no requirement to pay for lender’s mortgage insurance (LMI).
The other two owner-occupier packages, Goldrate and Police Value, are more feature-packed, offering interest-only loans, split loans, no annual or monthly fees, and more.
The Police Value loan offers special discounts to police officers.
All these loans offer both variable and fixed rates.
Investment home loans
For investment home loans, Police Bank offers similarly-named packages: Goldrate and Police Value . However, compared with owner-occupier home loans, the interest rate for investors is higher.
These loans are feature-packed, similar to the owner-occupier home loans. Their interest rates, both variable and fixed, are pretty competitive with top banks.
Tips for applying with Police Bank
You can look for a home loan, or a top-up on an existing loan, by browsing through the Police Bank website.
Once you find a suitable loan, you can either enquire with an expert or apply online.
Compare Police Bank with other lenders
Finding a lender is difficult; finding the right lender is harder.
If you’re having a hard time finding the perfect lender for you, Home Loan Experts is ready to help!
Talk to one of our mortgage brokers by calling us on 1300 889 743 or complete our free online assessment form.