money bag iconHow much can I borrow?

question mark iconCan I qualify for an Australian mortgage?

  • Some lenders will use the tax rate of the country you reside in, as opposed to Australian tax rates, which can improve your borrowing power.
  • Interest rate discounts are available from some lenders even if you are overseas.
  • Loans available for purchases, refinances, investment properties or to buy a house and land package.

cross iconWhat will affect the approval of my mortgage?

  • The currency of your income is important and will affect which lenders will accept your application.
  • If you are married to a foreign citizen then some lenders will not accept their income.
  • Australian tax rates are used by some lenders when assessing your income and this can limit your borrowing power.
  • Not all of your income is considered by some lenders to allow for possible exchange rate movements.

discount icon Interest rates available:

Competitive rates are available. Contact us to learn more

bank lender icon Lenders available:

Some banks and non-bank lenders are available. Please contact us for more details.

Discover if you qualify:

We can help you buy property anywhere in Australia.

Buying a property in Australian as an Aussie expat?

We’ve created a handy guide for Australians living overseas with everything they need to know in order to buy property in Australia.

Will I pay a higher interest rate?

Some banks do not allow people living overseas to qualify for discounted home loans.

As specialist mortgage brokers we can often successfully negotiate a substantial discount below the Bank Standard Variable (BSV) rate with some of our lenders.

You should not pay a higher interest rate for an Australian mortgage, unless you can’t provide evidence of your foreign income.

Will my currency be accepted?

Use our calculator below to discover if the bank will accept your foreign income.


Disclaimer: This calculator has several assumptions and simplifications and so should be used as a guide only. Please seek independent financial advice and consider your own circumstances before making any decisions related to home loans.

Since you’re earning an income in a foreign currency, the first thing you’ll have to work out is whether your currency will be accepted. The most common currencies we deal with include:

  • United States Dollar (USD)
  • Great Britain Pounds Sterling (GBP)
  • Euro (EUR)
  • Singapore Dollar (SGD)
  • Canadian Dollar (CAD)
  • Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
  • Japanese Yen (JPY)
  • Swiss Franc (CHF)
  • New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
  • Chinese Renminbi (CNY) – Conditions apply

For the above currencies, there is a good chance that we will be able to get you approved for a loan but what if you earn an income in a currency that falls outside of this list?

You may still be able to qualify for a mortgage although restrictions and conditions may apply, such as restricting your borrowing power to 80% of the property value (Loan To Value Ratio):

  • Bahrain Dinar (BHD)
  • Bruneian Dollar (BND)
  • Danish Krone (DKK)
  • Fijian Dollar (FJD)
  • Indian Rupee (INR)
  • Indonesian Rupiah (IDR)
  • Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD)
  • Macau Pataca (MOP)
  • Malaysian Ringgit (MYR)
  • Norwegian Krone (NOK)
  • Oman Rial (OMR)
  • Papua New Guinean Kina (PGK)
  • Philippine Peso (PHP)
  • Qatari Riyal (QAR)
  • Samoan Tala (WST)
  • Saudi Arabian Riyal (SAR)
  • Solomon Island Dollar (SBD)
  • South African Rand (SAR)
  • South Korean Won (KRW)
  • Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
  • Taiwan New Dollar (TND)
  • Thai Baht (TBH)
  • Tongan Pa’anga (TOP)
  • Turkish Lira (TRY)
  • United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED)
  • Vanuatu Vatu (VUV)
  • Vietnamese Dong (VND)

If your currency is not listed then please contact us as some of our lenders accept almost any currency.

It’s important to keep in mind that investment policy changes on a regular basis including which currencies lenders will accept for the purposes of expats and foreign investors wanting to purchase property in Australia.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or complete our free assessment form and we can tell you if we can get you approved.

Will I need a deposit?

Australians living abroad will typically need a 10% deposit plus extra funds to cover property purchasing costs including stamp duty, legal fees, mortgage set up costs and Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI).

This deposit must usually be in the form of genuine savings.

If you have a larger deposit or you already own real estate in Australia, then you can use equity as a deposit.

Better yet, you can buy a property with no deposit if your parents own a property in Australia and they’re in a position to act as a guarantor for your home loan.

Example of property purchasing costs

Let’s say you want to buy an investment property valued at $600,000 and you have a $72,000 deposit (borrowing 88% of the propert value).

Stamp duty for Victoria is around $31,000, transfer fees are $1,610, legal fees are $2,000 and bank fees would be roughly $500 (depending on the lender).

In this example, your so-called funds to complete would be $122,180 including your deposit.

This is just an example so we recommend that you try the property purchasing costs calculator to get more accurate figures for your location.

How can I prove my income?

If your payslips or foreign tax returns are in English then these can be provided as evidence of your income.

Most lenders will require three months bank statements to show your salary being deposited into your account.

Several of our lenders have specialist non-resident departments with staff that understand most common languages, so even if your documents require translation this is not normally a problem.

A valid work visa is required by several lenders as part of their verification process. This is waived if you are a dual citizen or can provided other evidence that you are permitted to work in that country.

What if I’m self-employed

If you’re self employed then there are only a few lenders that will accept your income.

It’s much easier to assess overseas PAYG income than trying to work out the income earned by a self-employed Australian expat.

We have a couple of options that may be able to assist depending on whether you have an accountant or not, the country you are in and the currency of your income.

You may actually be able to borrow up to 70-80% of the property value with a couple of our lenders if you can provide all of the following:

  • 2 years personal and business tax returns.
  • 6 months business bank statements.
  • An accountants letter verifying your income.

The problem with tax rates

Some lenders will use Australian tax rates when assessing your income rather than the tax rate of the country that you’re living in.

Australian tax rates are some of the highest in the world and this can seriously reduce your ability to borrow the amount you need, especially when you consider countries like Hong Kong or Singapore which have low tax rates or the UAE which doesn’t require you to pay tax at all.

Luckily, there are some that will use foreign tax rates which allow you to borrow more.

These same lenders will only use foreign tax rates when they can see tax withheld from your payslips so the trick to getting the lender to accept these rates is to provide as much income evidence as possible.

This offer is only applicable to the following countries but please give us a call first because we don’t know how long this deal will stick around:

  • United States Dollar (USD)
  • Great Britain Pounds Sterling (GBP)
  • Euro (EUR)
  • Singapore Dollar (SGD) – Conditions apply
  • Canadian Dollar (CAD)
  • Hong Kong Dollar (HKD) – Conditions apply
  • Japanese Yen (JPY)
  • Swiss Franc (CHF)
  • New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
  • United Arab Emirates Dirham (AED) – Conditons apply
  • Macanese Patacas (MOP)

What if I am paid in two currencies?

It’s not uncommon for Australians abroad to earn an income in more than one currency.

This is particularly true of professionals working at large multi-nationals with offices in many different countries around the world.

If both currencies are on the preferred or secondary currency lists mentioned above, then there are banks that will consider these income sources.

Bear in mind that a different foreign currency exchange rate will apply to each currency type which may affect your overall borrowing power.

If only one or none of the currencies you earn in are in either of the lists, don’t worry. We may still be able to get you approved for an Australian expat home loan.

Your borrowing power

Exchange rate fluctuations, foreign tax rates, negative gearing benefits and repayments on foreign debts can mean that calculating your borrowing power is quite complicated and will vary between lenders.

Most lenders will use:

  • Somewhere between 60% and 90% of your actual income.
  • Australian tax rates even if you are living in a country without income tax.
  • No negative gearing benefits.
  • Loaded repayments on your foreign loans.

As each lender has a different method of assessing your borrowing power we can usually find a solution.

What exchange rate do lenders use?

When converting your foreign currency into Australia dollars, most lenders will use their own exchange rate, which is more conservative than the current market rate for your currency.

If your foreign currency is not on the preferred or secondary list, the lender will either not accept your currency or apply a reduced rate from XE Live Exchange Rates.

Unfortunately, depending on your currency, this can have a big impact on your borrowing power.

Speak with us and we can let you know if we can negotiate with the lender on what method of foreign exchange they use.

Getting a home loan with a foreign citizen

If you’re married to or in a defacto relationship with a foreign citizen then this will affect the way that some banks see your application.

There are three ways that they could assess your application:

  • Assess you both as Australian citizens.
  • Assess you both as foreign investors.
  • Use the nationality of the highest income earner to determine how to assess your loan

The problem is that if you are assessed as a foreign investor then only a small part of your income will be used and you’ll require a larger deposit.

With some lenders you will also pay a higher interest rate.

You can avoid this by apply with a lender that has favourable lending policy for someone in your situation.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or complete our free assessment form and we can let you know which banks will accept your situation.

What about my foreign partner’s salary?

Most lenders will ignore the income of your partner if they are not an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident (PR) holder.

However, this is a very grey area of policy and we have many clients that we have helped to get approved by making a case.

A lender may consider your wife or husband’s income in the following circumstances:

  • They have a valid visa for Australia.
  • They’re living in Australia.
  • They have ties to Australia such as family or close relatives.
  • You have children together.
  • You are married or have been defacto for over two years.
  • You’re the main income earner.

It’s best to call us to discuss your situation by calling 1300 889 743 or by filling in our free assessment form today.

Do I need a Power of Attorney (POA)?

If you’re overseas then it’s quite handy to have a trusted family member, friend or solicitor that can sign documents on your behalf. A Power Of Attorney (POA) allows them to do this.

Some lenders require you to have a POA that meets their requirements. They may require you to have a POA with a solicitor or a family member which may mean your current POA isn’t accepted.

Other lenders do not accept a POA! This can be a real hassle if you then need to have documents couriered overseas and then you need to attend the Australian consulate to have them witnessed.

It’s a good idea to ask your mortgage broker what the lender’s requirements are before you both decide on a lender.

When do I need to visit the Australian embassy?

No matter the case, you’ll need to have your ID certified at the Australian embassy or consulate in the country you’re living in.

However, if the lender won’t accept POA for your mortgage loan documents, you’ll have to visit the Australian embassy to witness the signing of the mortgage title.

If you’re purchasing a property as joint tenants, only one of you needs to go to the embassy as long as you can provide your partner’s passport.

The embassy is certifying that the document is true, not that it’s reflective of the person asking for the certification.

What are the costs involved?

The Australian embassy will charge a service fee for certifying or witnessing these documents.

These fees will vary depending on the country you’re living in so it’s best to check the specific fee schedule for your country of residence.

Just be warned that they can be in the hundreds of dollars.

Choose your lender carefully

The main problem faced by most Australian expatriates is that they have great trouble meeting the requirements to get their loan approved. Did you know that?:

  • Some banks need to see your original payslips, tax returns and other documents prior to loan approval.
  • There can be significant delays if you choose a lender that does not have a loan processing system that is designed to handle foreign addresses or foreign phone numbers.
  • Many lenders will not approve a loan for more than 80% of the property value.
  • Some lenders may require you to sign a formal loan offer at the nearest Australian Consulate.
  • Several lenders charge higher interest rates if you are outside of Australia.

We are specialists in Australian expat mortgages!

Here are a few reasons why you should use our services:

  • Many of our customers are Australian citizens or dual citizens living overseas who want to invest in the Australian property market.
  • We will choose a lender that accepts your situation. This way, you can avoid many of the headaches associated with applying for a loan.
  • Most of our services are free.
  • We know over 40 banks & lenders.

Having an expert mortgage broker in Australia can make all the difference! Please call 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or enquire online and our team will contact you to discuss how we can help.

Is Australian government approval required?

No, Foreign Investment Review Board approval is not required, even if you are buying with a spouse who is not an Australian citizen (refer to the FIRB guidelines for more information).

Will I have to pay the foreigner stamp duty surcharge?

A surcharge on stamp duty and, in some cases, land tax applies to certain foreigners and visa holders depending on what state you want to purchase your property.

Luckily, Australians living abroad are exempt from these surcharges even if they’re not in the country at the time of contract exchange.

The rules around this may vary so it’s always best to double with your relevant state revenue office.

In particular, if you’re buying with a partner who is a non-Australian citizen, then you may want to consider just buying in your name.

If you’re a permanent Australian resident, rather than a citizen, then that’s an even stronger reason to check with your state revenue authority.

Australian expat case study

After a few years working at a large electricity and gas provider learning his trade as an electrician, 35-year-old Tom decided it was time for something more.

Applying for a senior position at a major building company in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), his skills and expertise saw him land the job and he and his wife, Tracey (a US citizen), moved to Dubai to start the next chapter in their lives.

Although Tom’s new income was enough to live comfortably, Tracey wanted to work and was soon able to get a position at a local hairdresser, the same work she had been doing in Australia.

With stable employment and a good salary supplemented with Tracey’s income, the couple felt they were in a good position to purchase an investment property in Australia.

Having found a property, and with a deposit of 18% of the purchase price, they approached their bank in Australia for a loan. Unfortunately, they were knocked back because most banks don’t accept UAE dirham (AED) currency.

Fortunately, they got in touch with a mortgage broker that specialises in Australian expat mortgages who was able to find a lender that would accept AED. In order to qualify though, they would need an extra 2% of the purchase price as a deposit since the lender would only lend up to 80% of the property value.

On Tom’s income though, they were soon able to save this little bit extra and qualify for an investment loan. The vendor was even willing to hold off selling the property until Tom and Tracey were able to sort out their finances so they were even able to purchase the prime piece of real estate they wanted.

When is the right time to invest in Australian real estate?

There’s an old saying when it comes to investing in real estate: it’s not about timing the market; it’s about time in the market.

This sentiment is often lost on first-time investors. Case in point was 2008/9, the period infamous for the global financial crisis.

Logically, it would have made for the Australian real estate market to have taken a dive during this economic turbulance but this isn’t what happened.

Market weakness in Australia’s capital cities was not felt (marginally) until 2011.

The point is, the years most people think will be a problem is not always the case.

All suburbs and regions move and fall at different times and volatility has historically been relatively low in Australia since 2001.

Ultimately, you cannot time the market and, over the long-term, you are better off moving quickly to invest in growth markets.

Apply for a home loan

We’re mortgage brokers who specialise in helping people overseas to buy property in Australia.

We have helped countless Australian expats buy a holiday home or invest in Australian real estate.

Our Australian mortgage brokers are based in Sydney, Australia but our services are available worldwide.

With a team of offshore credit experts located in Nepal, our mortgage brokers are available outside of standard Australian business hours so we can work with your timezone and personal schedule.

If you are an Australian expat, would like to buy a property in Australia and would like to know more about how we can help, then please contact us on 1300 889 743 during business hours (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or enquire online.

  • willis

    I am Australian Citizen with over 5 years of experience in Australia. I recently moved to Qatar to join one of the leading bank here. I am working in permenant position and earn AUD 12,000 per month tax free. I have more than AUD 70,000 savings in Australia. I want to buy a house in QLD as my plan is to move back after a few years. Kindly please let me know the eligibility criteria for the loan. My intention is to buy a property of around 550,000 by the end of this year.

  • Hi willis,

    Yes, we can assist with this. There are a few things to consider such as the currency you’re paid in and if your salary is just a base or if there are other income types such as bonuses. Also, the deposit size will vary depending on the state that you buy in. Please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to speak with our specialist in lending to Australian expats.

  • sasi8hk

    I got my Australian PR about a year ago. I was in Melbourne and Sydney last December / January. At the moment I am living with my family here in Hong Kong. I have a stable job here as an Electrical Engineer and my kids are still quite small. So I may remain here for at least one more year. We hold British Passports.

    We have decided to move to Melbourne. Not exactly sure, we aren’t in such a hurry. But before we move, I would like to buy a home.

    My annual income is about 100K AUD. I have saved about 120K AUD for deposits. And I am planning on buying a home around 500K to 600K. So, is it possible for me to get a Home Loan? How much can I get? How can I improve my chances?

    Any expert advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

  • Hi Sasi
    Yes we can help with this and you appear qualified. Policy may be changing in the next month so I’d recommend you get a preapproval ASAP. This is because the Aus government (APRA) is scrutinising expat lending at the moment.
    Please contact us if youd like our help.

  • sasi8hk

    Hi Experts.
    Thanks a lot. So, how can I get the pre-approval? What are required? Can you please shed some light? How can I be in touch with your office?

  • Easy just follow this link
    Best of luck with your purchase

  • Derek

    I was initially planning to get a 95% loan to buy a house in NSW but seems the banks I’ve researched dropped their investment lending down to 90%! I’m an expat too… Have all banks applied this new policy?

  • Hey Derek,

    There are still a select few lenders that may allow you to borrow up to 95%. However, we aren’t sure for how long this may continue. There may also be some restrictions applicable with these lenders so please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss this in detail with an Australian expat home loan specialist.

  • Tim

    Hi, I am an expat living in Canada as an IT contractor. I want to purchase an investment property in Australia, however I have heard that the banks in Australia no longer allow you to declare foreign income when applying for a mortgage in Australia. Is this correct, and if so how do I get around this?

  • Hi Tim,
    As an Australian citizen living in Canada and earning CAD you are eligible for a mortgage in Australia. Typically you can borrow 70% or 80% of the property value.
    If you’re on a PAYG contract then this will be fine however if you’ve got a business that invoices various clients this would be an exception to policy that we’d have to assess on a case by case basis. If you’d like our help please contact us here

  • Tim

    Thanks for the reply. How do you get around the restrictions on foreign income?

  • Hi Tim,
    Not all lenders have these restrictions. We’re specialists in lending to Australian expats so we deal with this problem daily.

  • Koch

    I’m an Aussie expatriate living and working PAYG overseas. I’m looking to buy a $1.5 mil investment property in Melbourne and need 70-80% to finance the purchase. I own a house in Sydney so maybe equity can be used from there too. I would like help finding a lender that has no restriction to foreign currency.

  • That sounds okay, Koch. We have a few lenders in mind that may be able to accept any foreign currency. Since you’re an Australian citizen, you’re eligible to get the same interest rates and offers as Aussies living here. Please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss it all in detail with an expert overseas investment loan specialist. Alternatively, you can simply complete our free online assessment form and one of us will contact you instead:

  • James


    I’m a permanent resident currently working in China and i’m married to an Australian citizen. I’m looking to purchase a property for her to live in, we have around $1.2mil in savings($800k in Australia) and I’m looking to purchase a $2mil property(So borrowing about 40-50%). I make $150k a year after tax and my partner does not have an income, how much can we borrow on a 10 year term with my foreign income alone?

    Thank you.

  • Hi James,
    We’d need to do a full assessment to confirm this as foreign income has a lot of variables that can affect the final figure.
    I’d recommend that you go for a 30 year term as your borrowing power is much higher. You can always increase the size of your payments so you pay it off in 10 years anyway.

  • James

    Hi Experts,

    Thanks for the reply, I’m looking for a short term(10 year) mortgage since I’m in my late forties and i want to pay off the loan before i retire so there’s no point paying the extra interest that comes with a 30 year loan, how do i get assessed on my borrowing power? Just through the “free assessment” link?

  • Hi James,
    Sure as long as you can afford the loan over that term then that is fine. Just mention in your notes. Yes please follow the free assessment link

  • Luc

    Hello, I am an Australian citizen living in HK. I have a property in Sydney, and earning around AUD720 per week rental. Can I use all the rental as income and repay the loan, so as to refinance the property. I am a housewife and do not have any proof of income in HK. Thanks

  • Hi Luc,
    There are loan products that just rely on rental income however they are not available to Australian expats.
    How much is owing on your current loan and with which lender?

  • Luc

    Thanks for replying. It’s not mortgaged at the moment.

  • Hi Luc,
    The rent would need to be able to pay for your living expenses and the mortgage. How much are you looking to borrow? I can do a quick calculation for you

  • Btw if your partner is an Australian citizen we can use their income and they can be on the loan as well.

  • Luc

    I do not need any of those rent money for living expense, so I can use that solely for the repayment. may be a loan of aud400,000 to 500,000…

  • Sorry it just wouldnt work. Unless your partner is on the loan they’d allow for your living expenses which would greatly reduce your borrowing power.

  • Luke Jones

    HI, I am an engineer in the mining industry. Are there loans available where i wouldn’t have to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance?

  • Hi Luke,
    There were waived LMI loans for Engineers however these were withdrawn in 2016. Sorry you missed out!
    Instead you can reduce your loan to 80% of the property value or we have a couple of lenders that can consider a guarantor loan for an Aussie expat as long as your parents have property in Australia and are willing to guarantee your loan.

  • Jane Hasselstrom

    Hi, I’m an Australian citizen and my husband is a permanent resident. We currently live in Denmark but would like to return to Australia in the next few years. We’d like to buy a house to move home to but my husband is currently the sole breadwinner and is self employed. Would we be looking at borrowing more than 80% because of this and what other hurdles could we expect?
    Thanks. Jane.

  • Hi Chris,
    Yes as an Australian Citizen living in the UK earning GBP we can lend up to 90% of the value of a property (80% is best) and we can use most of her income in the assessment. A gift is an acceptable deposit source for some of our lenders as well and I expect she’d get a good interest rate. As an Australian citizen she will not pay any foreign citizen stamp duty. If she moves into the property within 12 months she may be able to claim the first home owners grant later on, depending on the type of property she is buying.
    I’ll email you and cc one of our expat specialists so if you’d like to get an approval we can get the ball rolling.

  • disqus_DFW47ncDsn

    Hi, I’m an Australian living in Hong Kong, I personally don’t have an income (only work part time, earn about $1k AUD a month), and my husband is non-aus citizen, very stable income with about $

  • Hi,
    This would likely be considered as a foreign investor loan rather than an Australian expat loan so you’d end up paying a rate around 8%. However if you were earning a higher income or if your husband has PR for Australia then we’d be able to get you discounted rates from other lenders around 4% – 5%.

  • Hi Jane
    Sorry for the delay we missed your question.
    The Danish Krone (DKK) is a currency that few lenders have on their acceptable income currency list. We have lenders that can help but they typically lend 70% of the property value. Whereas other currencies such as AUD, GBP, EUR, USD, SGD, HKD etc are accepted by many more lenders.
    Most lenders require you to have a PAYG job if you are living outside of Australia. So unfortunately the only lenders that could assist would charge a higher rate (around 8%) and would lend 70% of the property value. This may change in the next few years but as it is now there aren’t many options.
    I’d recommend that you wait until you return to Australia to buy as this will be much easier for you. Note that if your husband get’s a job in Australia it’ll be easy whereas if he continues with his current employment status then most lenders will require a 2 year history of earnings in Australia to accept his income.

  • Michelle

    You need to be aware that a new law has been proposed by the Turnbull government in regards to Australian expats owning Australian Property.

    Under the proposals expats who sell their property whilst overseas will have to pay a CGT tax rate of 45% on the gain on the property from date of acquisition even if the property was previously their main residence (ie lived in the property).

    The current law ( that is been changed ) exempts from capital gains tax the period that the owner lived in the property.

    the calculation looks like the following

    Bought house in 2005 for 500K, Moved overseas and Rented it is 2015 – value was $1 Million , sell it today for $1.2M

    Current Law Capital gain = $1.2M- $1M = Capital gain tax paid is equal to $90K (.45% of 200K)

    Proposed Law capital gain = $1.2M- 500K= Capital gain tax paid is equal to $315K – increase of 225K.

    The proposal and submissions opposing this tax gouge by the Asutralian government on expats can be found at the address below

  • Hi Michelle,
    That’s quite a concern and would affect a lot of Australians who bought a house then moved overseas. Thanks for sharing.

  • Liz

    Hi, I am an Australian Permanent Resident living in Australia for the past 3 years. I have recently returned to Singapore and is currently earning a Singapore based income of approx. SGD 70K after tax. I have savings of AUD 90K in Australia and another SGD120K in Singapore.
    I am looking at purchasing my first property (about AUD 700-900K) as I might be returning to live in Australia in the future. If I happen to decide not to return to Australia, I could use the property as an investment.
    What are my chances of getting a home loan and how much will I be able to borrow and at what rate – if I am eligible for one. What other hurdles should I expect?
    Many thanks!

  • J.Smith

    Hi, I’m an Aus citizen living overseas, currently renting. Am interested in buying a property in Perth as an investment or to possibly move there in the future. Wanted to find out if there is a “minimum” accepted annual salary that most banks/lending institutions will require before considering any loan application e.g do I need to be earning a specific amount before applying for a mortgage/loan?


  • Hi
    There is technically no minimum however you must be able to afford the mortgage. Most of our expat clients are on high salaries (e.g. partners in law firms, engineers, professors, mining, project managers etc) so this is usually not a problem. Whereas we also get enquiries from teachers living overseas but in many cases their income isn’t sufficient to afford the debt and their living expenses.
    There’s no simple answer to this question, we’d need to do a borrowing power calculation and see where you stand. You can use this calculator as a rough guide

  • Joel Molinari

    Hey, Im an Aus citizen, have been in UK for 10+. Have a property here 60-40% me 60%. A couple of hundred K £ in the bank and are moving to Aus next year…Mrs is a Brit with accepted visa, a teacher.

    What options do we have??

  • CJ

    Hello, I am an Australian citizen working overseas in the super yacht industry. I pay Australian taxes each year with a stated foreign income. My partner is American but is also an Australian resident and also works within the same industry. He is classified as self employed. We earn $180,000 USD per annum before taxes and are wanting to move back to Australia in the next couple of years. We would want to buy something around $800,000 as our prime residence. What would our options be?
    Thank you

  • Hi CJ,
    We’ve helped several Australians who work on Super Yachts or other luxury boats. Most of them were based in Florida and were residents of various tax free countries. Most staff on these boats are paid in USD however they are technically not employees.
    Most banks will not consider this type of income however if we can know more about the way that you’re paid we can confirm which lenders can assist.
    As you are living overseas the home you buy would be an investment property for now. To avoid paying foreign citizen stamp duty and FIRB approval fees you may want to just buy in your name only. You can transfer the title to be in both names later on when you are living in Aus and your partner has PR.
    I’d say likely you can borrow 80% of the property value. Higher may be possible on a case by case basis. If your parents can guarantee your loan then you can borrow more.
    I’ll email you and cc one of our non-resident lending specialists and they can assist you further. Best of luck with your purchase.

  • Ferdinand

    I’m an Aussie, living and working in Singapore. I have an investment loan here with NAB. I tried to refinance my mortgage but was told that I couldn’t do it as they’ve closed down their private wealth division. Could you guys assist me in this?

  • Yes, you’re right Ferdinand. NAB sold its private wealth arm in Singapore recently and Hong Kong back in February. The great news is that we’re in experts in helping Australians living abroad and HKD is an acceptable form of foreign currency with select lenders. So, while we can’t get refinance you with NAB, we can get your investment loan refinanced with another one of our lenders.
    Please call +61 2 9194 1700 or enquire online and one of the specialist mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss how we can help.

  • Bubbly

    I am an Aussie, currently working in Hong Kong in a full time employment at HSBC. I’d like to purchase a property in Melbourne. I want to know whether I can get a 80% mortgage. Hope to hear from you soon.

  • Yes Bubbly,
    You can borrow 80% as of today. It’s possible that this may change as several lenders are reviewing their policy now and we don’t know what they’ll change it to. As of now, there are a select few lenders who are allowing Australian citizens living and working overseas to borrow 80% of the property price. In addition, we specialise in lending to Australian citizens in HK and you could learn more here

  • Cardiff

    I am an Australian citizen and am a partner of a limited liability partnership in the UK. I am looking to get a 60% mortgage to purchase property in Sydney. Currently, I’m assessing the properties available on the market, but need to know mortgage options before we can progress. Are there lenders available for this?

  • Hi Cardiff,
    It’s relatively difficult for self-employed expats to obtain standard home loans in Australia compared to PAYG borrowers. However, we have select one or two lenders, and you may be able to borrow up to 80% of the property value with them. Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or enquire online and one of our specialist mortgage brokers will help you to get approved.

  • Tanja Tanja

    Hi, I’m an Australian living in the UK. I am looking to buys an investment property in Sri Lanka. Could I get a home loan from Australia for this?
    Thank you

  • Hi Tanja
    If you own a property in Australia then we can refinance your current mortgage and release equity for you to invest elsewhere. However if you don’t own real estate in Aus then you’ll need to seek finance in the country that you are buying in as Australian banks can’t take security over a foreign property.

  • Tamla12

    I already have a property in Melbourne and want to buy a second one. I am thinking of using the equity in my current property, which is mortgaged with CBA. I’m currently overseas and wondering if my equity will be accepted as my deposit?

  • Hi Tamla12,
    That would depend on the current market value of your property and the loan balance that you owe to the bank. From that, you can determine the amount of equity that you can extract from the existing mortgage. Usually, you can borrow up to 80% of the property value without paying any Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) and can borrow up to 90% property value but you will have to pay LMI.
    You can speak to your bank to release equity from your existing mortgage. Also, we could help you with that and with the new purchase as well. Call us on +61 2 9194 1700 or enquire online and we can tell you if we can get you approved.

  • Andrey

    Hello. I am an Australian citizen working overseas in the oil state company (Moscow, Russia). Th job is not a PAYG. The foreign income is in Rub currency. Pay income tax in Russia as a tax-resident and Russian citizen.
    I’m looking to buy an investment property in Australia and rent it out to offset the mortgage re-payments.
    Are there any lenders that deal with that sort of situaton and offer the same interest rate as if I would live and work in Australia? What’s the maximum level of property value (70, 80 or 90%) could I expect given my situation?
    Many thanks in advance!

  • Hi Andrey
    This is a complex situation and we’d need to assess it on a case by case basis. We have assisted Australian citizens in Russia before however they have been PAYG and working for multinationals with payslips in English.
    I expect we could possibly consider a loan for 70% of the property value and the rate would be higher than what most Australian citizens pay as the choice of lenders would be limited.

  • Stephen35

    We are Australian citizens currently residing in the UK. We are returning Down Under at the end of 2019. We are now looking for a home loan to purchase our property at Balgowlah Heights. How much can I borrow?

  • Hi Stephen,
    Australian citizens and permanent resident (PR) visa holders living in the United Kingdom (UK) may be able to borrow up to 90% of the property value. If you can provide evidence of your foreign income, then there are high chances that you’ll get similar home loan products and interest rates as citizens living here. You can get more information from Australians living in the UK page Call us on +61 2 9194 1700 or enquire online to speak with one of our mortgage brokers who specialise in mortgages for Australians expats in the UK

  • Kyle

    I’m an Australian living and working in the US. Assuming I can put down 10-20% of the loan value, I want to know if I can get a loan to buy a house in Australia, what are the interest rates for someone with good credit now, can I pay in USD or do I need to convert to AUD before paying (& lose on conversion), can I lock in the exchange rate, if I moved back to Australia and wanted to pay the rest in AUD (how would that work?). Thanks!

  • Hi Kyle,
    As an Australian expat living in the US, you can get a home loan of 80-90% with most of the banks. However, we have selected one or two lenders who would accept a home loan in USD, and they have stringent requirements for that. If you moved back to Australia, then you can refinance your USD mortgage it to another lender and change it to an AUD home loan.

    Our mortgage brokers are experts in Australian home loans. If you are interested in finding out whether you are eligible for a mortgage, call one of our brokers today on our international number +61 2 9194 1700 or enquire online

  • Julie Beaumont

    I am an Australian living and working in Saudi Arabia. I have savings in Australia. I want to purchase a house and will need a loan, is this going to be difficult because of where I am? Thanks

  • Hi Julie,
    We have helped many expats in the Middle East to obtain a home loan in Australia, so it shouldn’t be an issue unless you can provide evidence of your employment and income. To discuss further your loan needs, give us a call on +61 2 9194 1700 or complete our online enquiry form and speak with a mortgage broker specialising on Australians living abroad.

  • ClarkeA

    We’re permanent residents of Australia but living and working in Indonesia. I’m planning to buy a property in Sydney. I earn 1 billion IDR in a year. My company provides online payslips; will the lenders accept those online payslips to prove my income?

  • Hi Clarke,
    Some banks will ask you to provide a hard copy of your payslip that shows all of the necessary pay details on the one page and/or an employer letter confirming your salary. Sometimes, employers have different systems or a transitioning over to a new payslip system which means the payslips you provide to the bank look entirely different for one another. As long as the payslip details matchup, it shouldn’t be an issue with most banks.

  • Collins24

    I’m from the UK and my partner is an Aussie. We want to invest in the Australian property market as we’ve heard positive stuff about the real estate market. We want to get a Let To Buy mortgage, is this possible?

  • Hi Collins,
    If you’re a foreign citizen and are married to or in a de facto relationship with an Aussie then this will affect the way that banks see your application for Let To Buy mortgage (or called investment home loans in Australia). Some banks will assess you both as Australian citizens while other assess you both as foreign investors. Most of them will use the nationality of the highest income earner to determine how to evaluate your loan. The problem is that if you are assessed as a foreign investor then only a small part of your income will be used and you’ll require a more substantial deposit. You can avoid this by applying with a lender that has a favourable lending policy for someone in your situation.
    Please call us on +61 2 9194 1700 or complete our free assessment form and we can let you know which banks will accept your situation.

  • Kevin M

    Hi, I’m an Australian citizen working in the U.S. I earn a little over 200k AUD. I’m looking to buy an investment property in Melbourne valued at around $ 700,000 AUD. I’m looking to use my savings of about 150k as the deposit. Is that enough to cover the deposit for the loan?

  • Hi Kevin M, being an Australian citizen working abroad is fine. Lenders will consider your application the same, however, lenders will only use 80% of your income so servicing a loan can be difficult.
    As for the deposit, yes, that should cover it. You would need to cover additional fees such as stamp duty, transfer fees, legal fees and bank fees to complete the purchase. For a Melbourne property valued at $700,000 AUD, the total additional fees come to around $38,921.We recommend trying our property purchasing costs calculator.

  • Nancie

    I’m an Aussie living and working in Hong Kong. I’m looking to buy a property around AUD 600,000 to 1,000,000, ideally we would like to use no more than $200,000 as the deposit. We’re looking to purchase around Sydney, postcode 2122. The problem is my wife’s a private tutor and gets paid cash from students. She has no tax record and doesn’t get payslips. Can we use our bank statements and show the cash input to use her income as the second applicant?

  • Hello Nancie.

    Unfortunately, banks won’t consider your wife’s income if she can’t provide payslips or tax returns. Your borrowing capacity will be calculated solely based on your income.

  • Ganga

    Hey there,
    I’m an Australian citizen currently working in Hong Kong as a senior tech specialist at a large IT department. I’ve been working here for over 5 years now and earn in AUD. I am looking to purchase a new house once I get back to Australia in a few months time. I wanted to know if the placement of my work would affect my ability to apply for a loan in Australia.

  • Hello, Ganga!

    We regularly assist Australian expats living in Hong Kong. The fact that you earn Australian dollars will really help your application. If you can also provide evidence of your employment and income, that will also help you to qualify for interest rates similar to Australian citizens living and working in Australia.Please call us on +61 2 9194 1700 and we will help you find a suitable home loan.

  • Jamuna

    Hey! I found this thread interesting. Can you also tell me what documents do I need to present to prove my income exactly? I just want to make sure that I have everything in check!

  • Hello Jamuna!

    English versions of your tax returns and payslips can be provided as evidence of your income. Most lenders will also require three months bank statements to show your salary being deposited into your account. A valid work visa is required by several lenders as part of their verification process.

  • Raja

    Hi, I’ve got a simple question. I’m currently abroad for business and I need to sign a mortgage application form for QLD. I have a colleague who is a CPA, can he be a witness?

  • Hi Raja,
    A CPA (Chartered Public Accountant) cannot be a witness on mortgage forms for Queensland (QLD). You can go to any Australian Consulate, where you’ll be able to get your mortgage documents witnessed by an authorised person.

    QLD requires the witness to be a person approved by the registrar. For more information regarding witnessing australian mortgage documents overseas visit this webpage:

  • Miller

    Hi, I’m looking to refinance my existing home loan but I’ll be moving shortly to Japan. Is it difficult to refinance with an Australian lender if I’ll be a foreign resident for tax purposes when I move?

  • Hi Miller,

    Not necessarily. We should be able to help you refinance with an Australian lender provided all standard lending criteria are met.
    With a foreign income in Japanese Yen (JPY) your borrowing power will be restricted to 80% of the property value. Please be aware that some lenders will apply Australian tax rates to your income even if you’re paying much less. If there are no serviceability issues we should be able to help you refinance with an Australian lender.

  • Aiden

    Hi, I’m an Aussie working in the UK as a consultant on a contract through my limited co. Would income through a limited company be considered as income for a mortgage?

  • Hi Aiden,
    Yes, it could work with a select few lenders. Assessing foreign income especially through a limited co. is really complex. Speak with one of our senior mortgage brokers who can assist you further and help you with potential lenders options by filling in our online enquiry form:

  • Garry

    Hi, I’m in the first month of a rolling six-month contract. Previously I worked out of the UK with a rolling contract that stretched seven years straight. I’m an Australian citizen and have just returned from the UK a few months ago. I’m looking for a home loan.

  • Hi Garry,
    Most Australian lenders require that you have 12 months remaining in your contract when applying for a home loan. If you had multiple contracts which were renewed we can show that to the lender and it might work. Alternatively, you may qualify for a low doc loan. There are several ways to move forward. If you can fill in our online enquiry form: one of our mortgage brokers will give you a call within 24 to 48 hours to discuss your situation.

  • Al

    Hi, I’m an Australian citizen looking to buy real estate in Australia through my foreign business income. Which lenders accept foreign income for Australian expats?

  • Hi Al,
    Foreign business income is only accepted by one or two specialist lenders. Generally speaking, 2 years tax returns and up to date income statements gives you better chances at approval as a self-employed foreign business owner. Please get in touch with one of our specialist mortgage brokers to discuss your situation by either giving us a call on +61 2 9194 1700 or by filling in our online enquiry form:

  • Flynn

    Hi, I’m based in Thailand for work (TBH), my sister is based in Sydney. We are buying an apartment in Melbourne off the plan, do you have banks that lend to expats for an off the plan with an 80% LVR? We’re both Australians. We had been down the process with one bank and then they changed and wanted a 30% deposit rather than 20% as agreed.

  • Hi Flynn,
    Yes, we have several banks that can lend up to 80% of the property value for expats earning in Thai Baht (TBH). Please fill in our online enquiry form here: to find out if you qualify and to discuss your situation with one of our specialist mortgage brokers.

  • Miguel

    Hi, I’m in Singapore working as a consultant for the past couple of years. I’m looking to refinance my IP and purchase another IP in VIC, however, my bank won’t use my bonus income as it’s in SGD. I’m paid between 30%-40% as bonus income and this is severely curtailing my borrowing power. Are there lenders that can use my bonus income?

  • Hi Miguel.
    Yes, we have some lenders that can consider bonus income for Australian expats, in most cases, we can use 80% of these income types. It will depend on how long you’ve been receiving the income, the variation between years and the conditions involved. It’s best to discuss with us on the phone and we can let you know which of our banks can assist. Please give us a call on +61 2 9194 1700 or fill in our online assessment form: to work out your new borrowing power and discuss your situation.

  • Emma m

    Hi, I am an Aussie citizen living in the US earning USD and married to a US citizen earning USD, we want to buy land and build in Perth. Need help in getting a leaned to take BOTH salaries into consideration for the loan. All are saying they cannot/will not take his into the equation as he is not a resident/citizen or living/earning AUD..

  • Hi Emma,
    We have a couple of our specialist lenders who will consider using 80% of the gross income (shading) of both you and your foreign partner. Typically, the interest rates are higher in cases where an Australian living overseas is buying a property with a non-resident partner. The interest rates can range anywhere between 5.7 to 6.9% p.a. A foreign stamp duty surcharge will also be charged on your partner’s share (50%) of the property.

    Alternatively, you should consider getting a temporary visa for your partner, so that it is relatively easier to use both incomes and get better rates. We specialise in Australian expat loans. Give us a call on +61 2 9194 1700 or fill in our online enquiry form: and one of our award-winning mortgage brokers will give you a call to discuss your options.

Why use us?

We aim to set an example by delivering what we promise: a higher level of service, better advice and better home loans.


Australia-wide services

We finance properties anywhere in Australia for people anywhere in the world.


Get incredible interest rates

Our relationships with our panel of lenders allow us to negotiate your interest rate.


We get tough loans approved

We can help you navigate the often complex pre-approval and application process.


Our customers love us

We receive hundreds of love letters from our customers.

Discover more reasons to use Home Loan Experts

How we find you the right solution

We get a complete understanding of where you’re at and what your ultimate goals are.
You’ll get a recommendation in just a few simple steps.

enquiry form icon

Complete our free assessment form or call us.

lender search icon

We assess your situation.

panel of lenders icon

We look at al the options from our panel of lenders.

recommended deal icon

We will find you the most suitable home loan deals.

Testimonials for Home loan experts

google logo white
from 218 reviews
facebook logo white
from 285 reviews
product review logo white
from 449 reviews

about us


lenders on
our panel


lent Australia-wide
and counting

Westpac Logo
ANZ Logo
NAB Logo
AMP Logo
Adelaide Bank
Firstmac Logo
CommonwealthBank Logo Logo
ING logo
Homeloans Logo
Macquare bank logo
Suncorp logo
pepper money logo
mebank logo
bankwest logo

of our borrowers get
approved with a major bank


of our borrowers get a discount
below the bank standard variable rate