What Is The First Home Owners Grant?
The first home owners grant (FHOG) is a one time payment to motivate and help first home buyers to build or buy a new residential property.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, then you will qualify for the concessional first home owners grant.
How Much Is The First Home Owners Grant In WA?
The Western Australia First Home Owners grant is $10,000. Only one grant is payable per eligible transaction, so two people purchasing a house together may only receive one grant.
Do I Qualify For The FHOG In WA?
Our First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) calculator is designed to work out which government benefits such as grants and stamp duty exemptions that you may be eligible for.
Please note that we’ve assumed that you’ve met standard first home buyer criteria.
What Are The Eligibility Criteria For The First Home Owners Grant In WA?
- You have to be 18 years or over at the time of lodging an application. However, if you’re under 18, you may be able to apply for age requirement exemption.
- At least one applicant is required to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident.
- Applicants and their spouses/de facto partners should not have previously received a grant from any jurisdiction in Australia.
- The purchase of a new home must be on or on or after 1 July 2000.
- You need to start living in your home within 12 months of completion of the eligible transaction.
- You must use the home as your primary residence for a six months period within the 12 months after the settlement or within the 12 months after completion of building your new home.
- If you are purchasing the home as trustee for someone with a legal disability, he/she must meet the qualifying criteria and the residence requirements.
Value of your home:
The value of your transaction will affect your eligibility to receive the grant in Western Australia. Depending on location, the cap on the total value of the home and land varies accordingly.
- South of the 26th parallel – If the value of land and building is up to $750,000. (All Perth metropolitan areas are considered to be south of the 26th parallel.)
- North of the 26th parallel – If the value of land and building is up to $1,000,000.
When Does The First Home Owners Grant WA Get Paid?
|When applying through an approved agent||When applying through state revenue office|
|Buying: at settlement||Buying: after name is registered on certificate of title|
|Building: after first progress payment and name is registered on certificate of title||Building: after first progress payment and name is registered on certificate of title|
|Owner builder: if evidence is provided that the home is ready for occupation and name is registered on certificate of title||Owner builder: if evidence is provided that the home is ready for occupation and the owner’s name is registered on certificate of title|
How Do I Apply For The First Home Owners Grant In WA?
You can apply through the following means:
- Apply through a financial institution or other approved agent, such as a solicitor or conveyancer.
- Apply directly through RevenueWA
For a detailed guide on how to apply for FHOG, you can read it on our First Home Owners Grant Guide page.
Once your application is received, a unique identification number (UIN) is issued. You can register and login Revenue WA to track your application progress through the facility.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What other grants and schemes are available for WA first home buyers?
First home buyers in Western Australia (WA) may be eligible for:
Stamp duty waiver on a purchase of any home valued up to $430,000. Discounted or concessional rates apply for homes valued between $430,001 and $530,000 for your principal place of residence.
For more information, please visit our Stamp Duty Calculator WA page.
Can the FHOG be used as a deposit?
Yes, you can use the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) as part of your deposit, but you will usually need to have existing savings as the FHOG alone is rarely enough to cover a deposit.
If you don’t have any existing savings, you can ask a parent to act as a guarantor on your loan. Learn more about this on our guarantor loans page.
Are You Ready To Apply?
We have assisted countless first home buyers with their FHOG application.
Additionally, we have an extensive first home buyer’s guide to help you in each step of your home buying journey.
Speak with our mortgage brokers who are experts at first home loan approvals.
Please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill our free assessment form.