What is the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) in Australia?
The First Home Owners Grant was introduced in 2000 to offset the effects of the GST on first home buyers.
The first home owner grant is a government initiative to help first home owners to get their new first home sooner.
How much is the First Home Owners Grant in QLD?
The Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant is $15,000. If eligible, you will be able to use it to buy or build your new home.
The grant covers new houses, units, and townhouses – you can even buy off the plan.
Do I qualify for the FHOG in Queensland?
Our First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) calculator is designed to work out which government benefits such as grants and stamp duty exemptions that you may be eligible for.
Please note that we’ve assumed that you’ve met standard first home buyer criteria.
What are the eligibility criteria for the First Home Owners Grant in QLD?
Several criteria need to be met to be eligible for the First Home Owners Grant in Queensland.
Requirements for the applicant:
- You (and any co-applicants) are at least 18 years old.
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
- You should not have previously received a first home owner grant in any state or territory unless you subsequently repaid it.
Requirements for the property and transaction:
- The home must be a brand new, or established home that has undergone substantial renovations before you bought the house.
- The home you are buying or constructing must be new and valued less than $750,000 (including land).
- The home you are purchasing is a kit home or manufactured home that has been moved to a new site but has not been occupied after the move.
First Home Owner Grant spouse requirements:
- If you are not a PR, but your spouse is an Australian citizen—you may be eligible for the grant as a joint applicant if you meet the other eligibility requirements.
- You or your spouse should not have previously received a first home owner grant in any state or territory of Australia. However, if you had received a grant that you later paid back, together with any penalty, you may be able to reapply.
How do I apply for the First Home Owners Grant in QLD?
You can apply for the Queensland First Home Owners Grant through two methods:
Banks and lending institutions
If you require the grant funds for settlement or want to receive it quickly, it is best to apply through an approved agent (bank or lending institution).
You have to submit the application form and all supporting documents (including the signed contract to buy/build your first home, if applicable) to process the grant with the agent.
The agent will then confirm your eligibility before submitting your application to the Office of State Revenue.
Applying to the Office of State Revenue
You can apply by posting your application form along with all the supporting documents (including the signed contract to buy/build your first home, if applicable) to:
Office of State Revenue
GPO Box 953
Brisbane Qld 4001
Or email it to email@example.com
Scanned applications are also accepted, as long as they are complete, signed, witnessed and legible.
To find out more about the details of eligibility criteria, visit the QLD Government website qld.gov.au
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are there additional grants and schemes for first home buyers in Queensland?
As a first home buyer, you will be eligible to apply for the following concessions, as long as you meet the requirements.
- A $25,000 HomeBuilder grant, if you build a new home, buy a new home, or substantially renovate an existing home.
- A $5,000 Regional Home Building Boost Grant, if you purchase or construct a new house, townhouse or a unit valued at less than $750,000.
- A First Home Concession with an exemption of stamp duty for a first home buyer while buying new or existing property purchases under $550,000.
- A First Home Vacant Land Concession, for transfer duty when acquiring vacant land under $400,000 to build your first home.
Can I use the First Home Owners Grant as the deposit?
Yes, you can use the First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) as a deposit. In total, you will typically need 5% to 10% of the purchase price, including the FHOG.
If you are building a new home, then your grant will not be available until construction commences.
Hence, it may not be best to count on using the grant as a deposit.
If you have a guarantor, you do not need any savings.
Check our first home buyers guide if you are unsure about the steps you should take.
How long does it take for a First Home Owners Grant QLD application to process?
Once you submit your application with all the required information, it will be processed within ten working days.
Tip: If you apply through an approved bank or financial institution, you may get the grant sooner.
When do I get paid the First Home Owners Grant QLD?
The grant is paid at different times. It depends on when you applied and the type of property you are building or buying.
What if I am unable to stay in the property and would prefer to rent out my property?
You are expected to move into your new home within one year of purchase, and reside there for a minimum continuous six month period.
If you have to move out during this time, the government may request that you pay back the grant.
Do you need help?
We can help you with the First Home Owners Grant application if you provide us with the supporting documents while ensuring that your grant is approved and paid promptly.
Please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will call you back to discuss your options.