Call us now 1300-889-743

Mortgages For Accountants

Accountants are well known by banks to be low risk borrowers with long term career prospects and a high income earning potential.

That means some banks are willing to offer special interest rates and discounts to get your business!

Special discounts for accountants

No Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI)

In some cases accountants may qualify for waived LMI with their home loan. This could save you around $24,000 for a 90% loan on a $1,000,000 property!

The main qualifying criteria are:

  • Borrow up to 90% of the property value.
  • Purchases and refinances are both eligible.
  • Purchasing multiple investment properties is acceptable.
  • You must be an accountant, finance manager, auditor or actuary.
  • Your income must be over $150,000. Some exceptions are available.
  • Evidence of your degree or industry membership (e.g. CPA Australia) may be required.
  • You must meet all standard lending criteria.

To find out more please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill in our free assessment form.

Special interest rate discounts

Some accountants don’t qualify for a waived LMI premium or don’t need it as they are borrowing less than 80% of the property value.

In this case we can offer special negotiated interest rate discounts on your home loan. The discount will depend on:

  • Your total loan size.
  • The percentage of the property value that you are borrowing.
  • Your industry membership and degree.

These professional discounts are all considered on a case by case basis. Please call us on 1300 889 743 or fill in our free assessment form for more information.

Why is waived LMI such a great deal?

If you are buying a home or investment property and you don’t have a 20% deposit then you’ll pay a once off fee known as Lenders Mortgage Insurance. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars depending on the size of your loan.

Some banks offer no LMI loans for accountants to try to attract high quality customers like you.

Many accountants use this to rapidly grow a portfolio of investment properties.

You can buy multiple properties with smaller deposits and build a large portfolio for your retirement.

Which industry memberships are recognised?

To eligible for a no LMI loan you must be registered to practice as a:

  • CA via membership of the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia.
  • CPA via membership of CPA Australia.
  • CFA via membership of the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute Australia.
  • FIAA via fellowship of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia.
  • Other industry bodies are considered on a case by case basis.

Partners in an accounting firm

Because there are several partners in a firm (often 5 – 20) it is quite different to a company that is owned and managed by one person.

Standard bank policy requires that you provide the financial statements and tax returns for any business which you have a shareholding in that generates more than 25% of your income. This includes income via a salary, directors fees or dividends.

If you are applying for a commercial loan in the name of the business, then the banks will need to assess the financial situation of the entire business. However, for a home loan it shouldn’t be necessary for the bank to review your entire company.

As a partner in an accounting firm we can get this requirement waived.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online and one of our specialist mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss your situation.

How do I prove my income as a partner?

Typically, banks and other lenders will want to see your personal tax returns and notices of assessment for the last two years. If your salary is sufficient to service your debt then we can accept your two most recent payslips on their own.

However, those who are partners in selected larger accounting firms may be able to provide proof of their income via a letter or email from the firm’s Administration Manager (or equivalent) when applying for a residential home loan.

The letter will be used for income verification purposes instead of standard self-employed income documentation such as tax returns.

Which firms qualify for reduced income verification?

If you are a partner in one of the following firms and borrowing less than 80% of the property value then you may be eligible to provide an employment letter as proof of your income:

  • Ernst & Young
  • KPMG
  • Minter Ellison
  • Allens Arthur Robinson
  • Gadens
  • Henry Davis York
  • Corrs Chambers Westgarth
  • Freehills
  • Mallesons Stephen Jacques
  • Clayton Utz
  • PKF
  • PWC
  • Deloitte
  • McGrath Nicol
  • Grant Thornton

To find out what kind of income verification you will need, speak to one of our brokers on 1300 889 743 or enquire online.

Why do banks struggle with partnerships?

A partnership is a relationship not a separate legal entity.

It includes two or more people (rarely more than 20) going into business together to make a profit.

Partners share all the business assets and liabilities so it is vital that each partner knows their rights, responsibilities and obligations.

Banks often struggle with financing a partnership because of the unique legal structure of the entity. While banks can handle a sole trader, company, trust or Australian Securities Exchange listed company, their systems and processes are not set up with partnerships in mind.

Apply for a home loan

Did you know that we have special packages for high net worth professionals and can negotiate special discounts on your behalf?

Are you a partner in an accounting firm looking at purchasing a residential property? Speak to a mortgage specialist on 1300 889 743 or enquire online to find out if you are eligible.

  • Rakesh

    My friend is from India and is a CA, and he wants to move to Australia. Does he needs to be a memeber of the Institute of CA Australia in order to get the accountants deal or the membership of his country will be valid as well?

  • Hi Rakesh,

    As it is a requirement to have relevant industry membership (such as CPA, CAAN/ICAA ) in order to practice as an accountant, the lenders will require your friend to have a relevant accounting membership in order to be eligible for waived LMI as an accounting professional.

  • Flik

    Hi, I’m an accountant and a UK citizen. I was actually here in Australia on a work visa but now I’ve secured my Aussie PR. I earn close to $130,000 a year including varying bonuses. Can you guys help me get a home loan?
    FYI, I’m a member of the ACCA in the UK but not the CA here in Australia.

  • Hi there Flik,

    Since your income is under $150k, you won’t qualify for a no LMI home loan but you can qualify with a partner who earns enough to raise your combined income to over $150k a year. If you’re buying an investment property then we can also use rent income to boost your borrowing power. Also note that banks would like your bonuses to be more stable rather than varying. The main issue though is the CA…. we will need to seek an exception and securing that can be difficult. We may be able to help you but we’d need more info so please discuss your situation and details with one of our expert mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743.

  • James Clarke

    Can you provide an indication of the current discounted rates for accounting professionals?

  • Hi James,
    While we can’t be sure of what rate you’d qualify for until we have your full situation here are some examples:
    – Waived LMI at 90% LVR
    – 5 years fixed at 3.80% (Comp rate 4.51%)
    – Variable 3.69% (Comp rate 3.85%)
    If you’d like to complete a full assessment and get a quote please call us on 1300 889 743.

  • James Clarke

    Thanks for the reply. Are you able to advise on which institutions are offering deals like these to accounting professionals?

  • Hi James,

    There’s several options available. I’ll email you to discuss further.


    Could you please provide me advise on various institution who are offering waived LMI at 90% LVR?

  • Hi Richa,
    Please call us on 1300 889 743 and our mortgage brokers can complete a full assessment. We’d need to know the details of your situation to know which companies you qualify with. Our services are free as long as you keep the loan for over two years.

  • AZM

    Hi, I’m a Finance Manager and CAANZ memeber with an income of $144K + 10% bonus + Super. Wife is non CA and is on $67K + Super. Would i meet the $150K requirement?

  • Hi AZM,

    Potentially yes this would qualify. When it’s anything other than rent income and base income it tends to be a case by case basis. However we’ve usually argued the case and have been successful. Please complete this form if you’d like our help