Are you a foreign citizen living overseas?
This page is designed to be a guide for foreign citizens living overseas who would like to apply for a mortgage to buy real estate in Australia.
How much can you borrow?
In most cases foreigners looking for a mortgage to buy property in Australia can borrow 80% of the property value.
- Foreign citizens living outside Australia: You can borrow up to 80% of the property value.
- Foreign citizens living in Australia: Please refer to our temporary residents page.
- Foreign citizens who cannot prove their income: If you cannot provide evidence of your income or your documents are in a language other than English then you may be restricted to borrowing 75% of the property value or less.
- Foreign citizens married to an Australian citizen: If you are married to an Australian citizen then you may be able to borrow up to 90%, or in rare cases, 95% of the property value.
If you are unsure of how much you can borrow or would like help to apply for an Australian mortgage then please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or enquire online for assistance from one of our mortgage brokers.
What are the interest rates?
The great news is that some lenders now offer the same competitive professional packages and basic loan discounts that they offer to Australian citizens.
We can even negotiate with some lenders on your behalf to secure a better deal than their advertised mortgage interest rates.
Which nationalities often buy to let in Australia?
The countries that most often look for a foreign mortgage to invest in Australian real estate are, the United States (USA), Singapore, Mexico, the United Kingdom (UK) and the Netherlands.
As buying to let becomes more popular, other countries such as the United Arab Emirates (UAE), India, China, Malaysia, Japan, Chile and New Zealand are showing trends of increasing investment in Australia.
Which nationalities are allowed to borrow in Australia?
Some countries have tax legislation that makes investing in Australia infeasible. Our Australian banks and lenders have provided us with a list of countries that they believe to be acceptable for home loan applications.
We recommend that you consult your accountant before deciding to apply for an Australian mortgage.
- Austria (subject to conditions)
- South Africa (subject to Exchange Control regulations)
- Belgium (you may need to pay Withholding Tax in Belgium)
- Cayman Islands
- East Timor
- Falkland Islands
- Hong Kong
- Iceland (subject to Withholding Tax Exemption)
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand (special mortgages are available for NZ citizens)
- Papua New Guinea
- Russia (subject to conditions)
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- The Netherlands
- Trinidad & Tobago
- The United Kingdom (UK)
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- The United States of America (USA)
Finance for residents of other countries is available on a case by case basis. We have a page specifically meant for Australian expats who are living in one of the countries listed above.
What languages do we speak?
We are able to help people from a wide range of ethnic backgrounds to apply for an Australian Mortgage. Our staff can speak the following languages:
- Mandarin (via an interpreter)
- Nepali / Nepalese
- Croatian (hrvatski jezik)
- Bahasa Indonesia / Bahasa Malaysia (via an interpreter)
- Other languages are available via an interpreter
How does the loan application process work?
Obtaining your finance is relatively simple if you apply with a lender that commonly works with foreign investors. Simply contact us and we will act as your mortgage broker to help you to find which lender is most suitable for your situation.
You can then send us the required documents so that we can verify your income, identify you and confirm that you are eligible for a buy to let mortgage. We can then arrange the paperwork for you and seek an approval from the lender we have selected.
For most loan types our services are free as we are paid by the banks for introducing loans to them.
Call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 from outside of Australia) or enquire online and we can help you apply for a loan with an Australian bank or lender.
Is approval from the Australian government required?
How do I apply for a mortgage in Australia?
We are mortgage brokers who specialise in non-resident home loans! We can help make the entire process of applying for a loan to buy Australian property as simple as possible.
If you would like to buy an investment property in Australia and are looking for foreign national lenders in Australia, please contact us on +61 2 9194 1700 from 9am to 5pm Sydney time (GMT +10) or enquire online and we will contact you to discuss your options.
If you are calling from Australia, please phone 1300 889 743 to speak to our expert team.