If you’re a foreign citizen living outside of Australia, most home loans are only available at rates of up to 8.00% p.a.

Every year thousands of foreign nationals, Australian expats and temporary residents decide to buy a home or investment property in Australia.

This section is designed to help you understand how the buying process works and how we can help you to apply for a non-resident mortgage in Australia.

Our popular guides for non-residents


Australian living overseas

Which lenders specialise in expats?


Foreign Investor Loans

You may be eligible for an Australian mortgage.


457 Visa

Which banks don’t need a large deposit?


Temporary resident

Will I pay a higher interest rate?


Buying a property in Australia

How does buying Australian property work?


FIRB approval

What types of property am I allowed to buy?

What you need to know!

Firstly you should read about how to buy property in Australia, followed by the rules for foreigners investing in Australia.

Note: You may need approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB), depending on your circumstances.

Can you get a home loan or investment loan?

There are different home loan types available for different types of borrowers, whether you are a citizen of New Zealand, a foreign citizen working in Australia or a foreign citizen living overseas.

How much can I borrow?

Most people buying real estate in Australia are able to borrow 80% of the property value.

In some cases it is possible to borrow up to a maximum of 95%. However, this depends on where you are living, if you are an Australian citizen or not, as well as the terms of your current visa.

To find out if you could be eligible to borrow over 80% LVR, speak to our specialist mortgage brokers on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will contact you to discuss your situation.

What are the features of non-resident mortages?

The great news is that some Australian banks now offer the same home loan features and interest rates for non-residents as they do for normal borrowers.

  • Minimum loan size: $100,000
  • Maximum loan size: No limit
  • Maximum LVR: Varies depending on your situation
  • Interest only: 15 years maximum
  • Fixed rates: 12 years maximum (15 years for Australian Citizens)
  • Loan term: 30 years maximum
  • Professional package discounts: Available
  • Construction home loans: Available
  • Extra repayments: Available
  • Redraw: Available
  • 100% offset: Available
  • Internet banking: Available
  • Phone banking: Available, however may not work for international calls

Although the features vary depending on the lender, our mortgage brokers can usually find you a suitable loan that has flexible policies for non-resident borrowers and meets your requirements.

Speak to us on 1300 889 743 or enquire online. If you are living outside of Australia, contact us on +61 2 9194 1700 and we can help you get approval!

How do the banks view foreign investors?

Lending policy for non-resident home loans differs from bank to bank.

As a general rule, the banks take one of three different views on applications from non-residents:

  • Declined outright: These lenders either believe foreign citizens or overseas borrowers are a high risk, or their systems are not set up to be able to deal with customers that reside outside of Australia.
  • Lending restrictions apply: These lenders will accept Australian expats, temporary residents of Australia and foreign investors however, they may restrict the amount that you can borrow or require additional supporting documents.
  • Special lending parameters: A select few lenders actively pursue this market! They have special credit teams to assess applications from non-residents, and have 24-hour call centres to handle calls from overseas customers. They often have no restrictions for Australian citizens living abroad, and have flexible lending policies for temporary residents, particularly 457 visa and 309/310 visa holders.

Which lender should I choose?

It is critical that you apply with the right bank! Our mortgage brokers specialise in lending to new migrants, Australians living overseas and foreign investors.

We can assess your application and submit it with a lender that will approve it the first time round.

Please call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 outside Australia) or enquire online and one of our mortgage brokers will call you to discuss the mortgages that you may qualify for.

Invest in Australian property!

With a booming economy and affordable locations, many foreign investors are buying properties in Australia.

If you’re looking to buy a house in Australia from overseas, you may wish to speak to our mortgage brokers.

We can advise you of your prospects of obtaining finance and help you apply with the right lender.

When you finally buy your investment property, you may wish to enlist the services of a real estate agent who will help you find suitable tenants for your house.

Also, check out the

  • Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB)
  • page to find out if you need Government approval to purchase the property in Australia.

    To speak to experts in non-resident mortgages call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia) or enquire online today!

    Why use us?

    More Australians use a mortgage broker to obtain their home loan than any other method.

    Unlike most other Australian mortgage brokers, we at Home Loan Experts, are specialists in non-resident lending.

    We can quickly find you the best mortgage from one of the major lenders that we are accredited with.

    More reasons to contact us:

    • Most of our services are FREE.
    • We are accredited with over 40 major banks and non-conforming lenders.
    • Our mortgage brokers are experts at non-resident home loans.
    • As members of MFAA and COSL, we uphold the highest ethical industry standards.

    Contact us today!

    If you are living overseas or if you have already migrated to Australia, we can help! The process of applying for a loan and buying real estate in another country can be quite confusing.

    Our experienced mortgage brokers can help to guide you through the process and can quickly work out which banks can offer you the best interest rate, terms and conditions.

    To find out how we can help you, please enquire online or call us on 1300 889 743 (+61 2 9194 1700 for callers outside Australia).

    • Grasty

      I’m an Australian PR holder but I’m right now living and working in Dubai. I am looking to buy a house in a small town in Victoria and I need to borrow $360,000 for it. The purchase price is $450,000. I can provide full financial statments but they are in Arabic. Can you help me get the mortgage?

    • Yes, we can help with this. Note that most lenders won’t accept your financial documents unless they are in English so you’ll need an interpreter’s certificate that you can get from the Australian Consulate in Dubai. From what you’ve stated, the Loan to Value Ratio (LVR) will be 80%, which is okay but your currency, the Dirham or AED, is not commonly accepted by most lenders here. You’ll need to apply with the right lender to get approved and we can help with that. Please call on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to speak with an expert overseas resident home loan specialist, or simply enquire online:

    • kerns

      I’m on a temp visa and am contracted to work for a hospital starting June this year up to at least next year. I have $100,000 cash and my income is $100k per annum. I own a $1.4mil property in New Zealand to which I owe $500k. Can you help me borrow 90% with waived LMI?

    • Hi kerns,

      There may be some lenders that can accept this and waive LMI off your loan but it may depend on what temporary visa you’re on. Also, you can instead just go for an 80% home loan because you do have the funds and equity to support it, which will naturally get you a no LMI home loan. Please call 1300 889 743 and discuss this with one of our temp visa home loan specialists.

    • Grasty

      I’m a PR holder and my wife is on bridging applying for a 820 visa. We want to buy a 1 bedroom apartment in Alexandria and need $500k to finance the purchase. Can we get a home loan?

    • Banks are okay with PR holders but you may need to search for a lender that can accept bridging visa applicants for a stronger assessment. The size of the apartment unit will also be considered and you should ideally try to buy a unit that has a living area of greater than 50m2. Your mortgage may be limited to 80% of the property value if you’re buying a unit that’s less than 40m2.

    • Regan

      Hi! My mum has invested in a property here in Tasmania and it is fully paid while we her children are living in it while studying in Uni. Is she able to get a mortgage loan off the fully paid property? She is a non resident and its in her name.

    • Yes, non-residents can get a mortgage off the property but this will depend on what type of non-resident she is. Currently, Australian expats or PR holders can borrow up to a max of 90% at full doc but foreigners can only do 60%.

    • Regan

      She is a foreigner but the sum she is looking to borrow would not be that high till 60%. Is there a minimum value?

    • There’s no minimum LVR threshold though the minimum loan size is generally $100,000.

    • Harris

      Is the 457 visa abolished entirely? I wanted to come to Australia on a 457 visa before so now is there another similar visa or scheme? Will that allow me to get a home loan in Australia?

    • Hi Harris
      The Australian government has only announced the abolition of the 457 visa, which is to be done and replaced with the competely new TSS or Temporary Skill Shortage visa in March 2018. Although the scheme has changed, you can still be able to borrow a home loan to buy property in Australia on this temporary visa so if you’d like to learn more about what’s changed and how you can still borrow, please check out the TSS visa home loan page:

    • Regan

      How does she go about in proceeding should she be interested in getting a loan? Is there any charges and if so how is it like? Thanks.

    • Hi Regan,
      It’s difficult to say right away as we’ll need more information to properly understand the situation. It would be best if you call our office on 1300 889 743 or have her call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 during business hours to discuss this directly with one of our mortgage brokers.

    • Xilu

      Hi there,
      I have a unique question. I am a international student on a student. I managed to get a good paying job. I was just curious if someone on a student Visa is eligible for any house loan in Australia. If yes how does it work.

      Thank you in advance

    • Hi Xilu
      You must be working less than 20 hours per week however if you can prove a high income with bank statements, employment letter and payslips then we can consider this. In most cases on 20 hours a week the max loan amount is $100,000 as after paying living expenses there isn’t much left over.
      You can use this calculator to work out how much you can borrow

    • Laguerre

      I’m an NZ citizen in New Zealand looking to buy a house in Victoria. I want to borrow as much as I’m allowed. I have an existing property in Auckland which I can refinance and use equity from it if needed.

    • Hi Laguerre
      We can help you with this. Our mortgage brokers are experts in bank policy and dealing with overseas clients. We may be able to help you borrow over 80% of the property value. Most banks won’t go over that and can consider you a foreign investor. Please call us on our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 to discuss this with one of our team members.

    • Schroeder

      I’m Aussie and I moved to Saudi Arabia 7 years ago and have been working here in the same job since. I have an existing home loan on a 2-bedroom house in Perth and I plan on investing on another residential property. I enquired with a lender and they said I would need to provide a 30% deposit. Why so high?

    • Hey there,

      That may be the case because you’re living and working in Saudi Arabia and many lenders don’t accept the Saudi Arabian Riyal. This reduces your borrowing power and means you’re required to provide a larger deposit. However, we have lenders that can allow you to borrow up to 80% of the property value. We can help you borrow even more but you will need to use your other property in Australia as additional security or with the help of a guarantor. Please call our overseas number +61 2 9194 1700 if you’re interested in discussing this with an Australian expat home loan specialist.

    • brice

      Serious loan offer between particular

      You don’t need proof to apply for a loan.
      I am an individual who can grant you a loan between particular
      From €1,000 to €800,000 for all your financial problems and needs.
      My interest rate is 2 to 3% per year and the loan can be made available to you in 72
      to the maximum.
      Please contact me by email:

      Not serious refrain.

      Thank you

    • Kellie Pearce

      Hi, I’m a UK citizen now living in Australia. I have property in the UK with an investment mortgage. My bank over there is saying I have to pay a higher interest rate because I’m living in Australia. Is that true? thanks.

    • Hi Kellie,
      I’m not an expert in UK mortgages so it would be hard for me to comment on this. They do charge a higher rate for investment loans (known as ‘buy to let loans’ in the UK). In Australia if you move out of the property the rate doesn’t change from your normal home loan rate to an investment loan rate. It’s the original loan purpose that determines your rate in most cases.
      Best to contact a UK mortgage broker to get a 2nd opinion.
      If you’d like to buy a home in Australia then please contact us as we specialise in PR and TR lending.

    • Virginia

      Iam on a student visa (500), postgraduate sector
      visa. My visa is valid for the next 4.5 years , of which I will apply for PR/spouse visa. I have my partner who is an Australian citizen. We are not yet married, but plan to do so in future. He lives in his own house, and I am renting. Currently, we have opened a joint account and we are saving to buy a house in 1 years time. My partner has a full time work with a good income, currently I have a part time job, and unlimited working hours. We plan to buy the house as joint partners , which I can move in instead of renting.
      Please advise if Iam eligible for a morgage, and what percentage? And what else can I put into consideration to make my case better and achieve my goal of owning a house in 1 years time? Thank you

    • Hi Virginia,
      If you are buying together then you should be eligible on a case by case basis. Some things that will help you to get approved:
      – Borrowing 80% of the property value or less makes getting approval much more likely. Borrowing more than that is on a case by case basis.
      – If you buy in your partner’s name only then you’ll avoid foreign citizen stamp duty and FIRB approval (Applicable for NSW, VIC & QLD).
      – You must be meeting your visa conditions re work
      – You cannot buy on your own while on your current visa.
      I hope that helps.

    • johnson cory

      I don’t usually buy into this idea but this is so real , if you truly need to repair your bad credit contact supremetechnologies007 @.g.m.a.i.l.c.o.m,he helped me fix my perfectly and also removed all unwanted collections and debt from my credit , he is a certified system programmer don’t miss the good opportunity, he also helped me to increase my credit card limit. Tell him from Johnson corey

    • johnson cory

      I recommend this guy to everyone

      I don’t usually buy into this idea but this is so real , if you truly
      need to repair your bad credit contact supremetechnologies007
      @.g.m.a.i.l.c.o.m,he helped me fix my perfectly and also removed all
      unwanted collections and debt from my credit , he is a certified system
      programmer don’t miss the good opportunity, he also helped me to
      increase my credit card limit. Tell him from Johnson corey

    • Alain Dubreuil

      I am willing to help you to start again your activities in the short and long term by offering to you loans with an interest rate which will facilitate the life to you. I can grant to you a going loan of 2,000 until 8.000.000€. Thus do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

    • Gurpreet Singh Julka

      Hi I am Gurpreet Singh living in India planning to buy a new house unit Property which is still under construction. I need to deposit 10% now at the time of booking. For possession it will take another two years and 90% of the balance payment I have to pay at the time of possession.
      My question is can I get the maximum loan for maximum period of time according to my financial documents from any Australian bank?

    • Hi Gurpreet
      This is quite dangerous. Obtaining loans for foreign investors is very difficult now and it may be harder in a few years time. Only buy if you have sufficient funds to buy woth no loan, just in case.

    • Karol Thomas

      Hello my name is Thomas Karol , my husband was suffering from liver cancer, and the doctor’s told me that there is nothing they could do to save my beloved husband life. Then a friend told me about hemp oil , i told her that my husband liver cancer was in the last stage that i don’t think the hemp oil will be able to help, and she persuaded me to try, for the love of my husband, i decided to give it a try. I did some research and i found a doctor who helped me with the cannabis oil to cure my husband liver cancer and he assured me that after 3 months the liver cancer will be gone, and For the past one year my husband is perfectly okay and he is free from cancer, if you know any one who is suffering from cancer you can save his/her life by contacting Dr. Brown Nelson via his email : ( it worked exactly as the doctor prescribed. Thanks to Dr. Brown Nelson for taking away sorrow in my life. God will bless Dr. Brown Nelson for helping me with cannabis oil and for his support and care, i will keep on help you to fight cancer in the World, all i have to say is THANK YOU LORD.

    • Nishantha Hettiarachchi

      Hi, I’m an Australian Citizen and my wife is on provisional partner visa (309). We were told by our current mortgage broker that there is a lending restriction (until my wife gets her permanent partner visa – 100) – we can only borrow up to 80% if we are including our names (both names) in the loan application. Do you know any lender from Australia which we could borrow more (eg: 90% or 95%)? If there are, is there any restriction on the accessible products, features of the loan (eg: offset acc, additional repayments, redraw, attached credit card etc). Thanks

    • Hi Nishantha,

      Yes we can assist with this and all products you mentioned would be acceptable. You can borrow 90% and likely 95% if you meet standard lending criteria.

      NSW, VIC, QLD all have foreign citizen additional stamp duty. SA is bringing one in in January and WA in 2019.

      So we usually structure it so that you are on title and both of you would be on the loan. This means you avoid the duty and your wife’s income can still be used in the loan application.

      We’re specialists in lending to temporary residents whereas most mortgage brokers rarely handle applications like yours. We have to make a case and provide more than the normal documents to make sure you get approved.

      I’ll email you and cc a specialist mortgage broker in this type of lending.

    • ghada

      Hi ; we are a holder of 188 business innovation (TR) visa and not yet established our business in Melbourne, we want to buy a home but we want small amount of the loan because we have the rest as a cash money, can we take a loan from the bank ? Thank you

    • Hi Ghada,
      We need an income to prove that you can afford the loan. We have some lenders who can help people with a start up business however your business has not yet been started. Once your business is started we’d need to see your business plans and potentially a cash flow projection and then we could consider this on a case by case basis. We are very careful with responsible lending so we need to be sure that you can afford the loan without hardship before we can assist you.
      Best of luck with your new business.

    • ghada

      Thank you for your reply.. we have a company in Malaysia with good turn over can you consider it? Thanks

    • Hi
      Possibly yes. It would depend on the income evidence available.

    • BillyJean

      I am a chef from Japan on a working visa. My wife and I (she is an Australian citizen) want to buy a $710,000 house in Sydney and wanted to know how much we can borrow

    • DJ

      Hello. I am a Scottish citizen with a temporary resident visa which is due to expire soon. I work as a tiler here and the company I work for is willing to sponsor my visa. I wanted to know if I can buy a house immediately or should I wait for my visa to be renewed?

    • Hey BillyJean.
      If you’re jointly buying a house with an Australian citizen, you can borrow up to 95% of the property value including the cost of Lenders Mortgage Insurance (LMI) with most lenders. However, to qualify for the home loan, you should have at least 12 months remaining on your visa. You also need Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval and to pay the stamp duty surcharge charge on your part of the mortgage, assuming you’re a Japanese citizen.

    • Pattina

      I’m from Singapore and want to purchase a property in Australia. I’ve spoken with one mortgage broker here and she told me that I need to obtain a special approval from the government before I can buy a property. Is this true?

    • Yes Pattina, foreigners have to get an approval from Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) before they can buy a property in Australia. FIRB is an Australian government body that assesses applications from foreigners who would like to invest or buy a home in Australia. Please refer to the FIRB guidelines before you begin looking for an Australian property. You can only apply for FIRB approval when you have chosen a specific property to buy.

    • B&C

      My husband and I are both Australian citizens and working in Singapore. We own one investment property in Australia and are looking to use the equity to provide a deposit on another. At the time we got our mortgage on the first property, we got an LVR of 80% and the bank took into account 80% of our SGD salary. I’ve heard the LVR has now dropped even further with banks providing a maximum of 70%, or even 60% – is that true?

    • Hi B&C
      Yes that is correct some banks have really pulled back on the non-resident lending market. All of the major banks are quite conservative, and we’ve seen NAB, Westpac and St George make major policy changes since 2016 when this area of lending got attention from regulators.
      However there are other lenders available that can assist with a loan for 80% or even 90% if you have a very strong income. We find that for residents of Singapore the main issue is that living expenses and rent is very high but many lenders ignore rental allowances and use Australian tax rates not Singapore tax rates. We have some lenders that can use foreign tax rates in their assessment on a case by case basis.

    • LePham

      Hi, I’m Ha from Vietnam. My daughter is studying in Adelaide at the moment and I’m looking at buying a house for her next year when she goes to university. I wanted to know if there are location restrictions where I can buy?

    • Yes LePham, there is a specific location where there are chances of high approval for foreigners. Lenders prefer metro or Category A (CAT A) properties located in Melbourne, Victoria (VIC), Sydney, New South Wales (NSW) and Brisbane, Queensland (QLD). You may either be knocked back for a loan or at least find it difficult to get approved if you’re looking to purchase outside of these areas.

    • Dennis


      I am australian and my wife is foreigner. May we (as joint tenants)buy existing property in NSW?

    • Hi Dennis,
      This would depend on a number of factors
      1. Who is the main income earner
      2. Does your wife have a visa for Australia (PR or TR)
      3. What nationality is your wife
      4. Where are you located
      5. Are you employed or self employed
      6. What percentage of the property value are you borrowing?
      7. Do you intend to live in the property or rent it out
      My apologies for the number of questions but this is required to let you know if you can obtain a loan and if you can meet FIRB criteria.

    • Dennis

      Hi, my reply as follows:

      1. I am a major income earner
      2. Not apply for any visa for Australia
      3. My wife is a Canadian
      4. We are now located in HK
      5. I am employed by an audit firm
      6. 50%
      7. Buy an existing property foR rent at this moment


    • Hi Dennis
      If you’re the main income earner and an Australian citizen then it’s almost certainly best to just buy in your name. You can avoid FIRB approval, you won’t pay foreign citizen stamp duty and you can qualify for a cheaper mortgage. If you buy as joint tenants then you must meet FIRB approval criteria and I believe as you are not living in the property then it must be a new property to qualify for FIRB approval.
      In this case it’s best to keep it simple. If you’d like our assistance then please enquire online and you’ll automatically be assigned to one of our non-resident lending specialists

    • Dennis

      Thank you for information

    • Gab

      Hi, I m 27 years old, am looking to purchase a house/unit as an investment to rent out, looking at the price of around 450k. I m currently earning monthly foreign income of about AUD4-5k from Malaysia. I am Australia PR and I am currently living with parents without paying rent, and they are happy to be my guarantor as I have no savings for deposit. My parents are owning a house worth 1.2m at Victoria with no loan at all. I am just wondering if I can get loan or borrow up to 95-100% of the foreign income home loan?

    • Hi Gab,
      Yes, it’s possible for Australian permanent residents to borrow up to 95% of the property value or up to 100% using a guarantor (as long as your parents have a home in Australia). Malaysia Ringgit (MYR) is considered a secondary currency to most lenders, as opposed to a primary currency like US Dollars or British Pounds. Because of this, your income may be shaded by as much as 60% with some banks. Others will use 100% of your foreign income.
      By building a strong case with the right lender, we can maximise your borrowing power.
      Call us on 1300 889 743 to find out how much you can borrow.

    • Zayd

      In 2016, I signed the contract for an off-the-plan property in Kingsgrove as a foreigner. But I got PR in 2018; the property has not yet settled. Am I liable to pay the foreigner surcharge?

    • Hi Zayd,
      Permanent Residents (PR) are generally not required to pay the foreigner surcharge. However, some states require you to hold permanent residency for at least 200 days in order to avoid foreigner stamp duty surcharge. It is best to refer to your state’s OSR for confirmation.

    • gh16

      Hello, I am European with a 131 weeks student visa. I have a big amount of money saved and earned in Australia and a job that gives me weekly income. I would like to buy a property in the Gold Coast, would I be able to get a home loan? If yes, What would be the interest rate (more or less)?

    • Gab


      Do you guys have an email address that I could contact? I’m currently at oversea and hope could have more details and information for the loan.


    • Aditi

      I’m looking to add another property to my investment portfolio but my usual bank ANZ has refused to recognise Airbnb income from one of my properties. Are there lenders that are willing to consider short term rental income from Airbnb?

    • Hi Aditi,

      Generally, to use Airbnb income towards the loan affordability you’d need at least 2 years tax returns (NOA). However, there are specialist lenders who may consider your situation. You can fill in our online assessment form and one of our specialist mortgage brokers will get in touch with you within 24-48 hours:

    • Hi gh16,
      Thanks for the question. Student visa home loans are notoriously difficult to get approved in Australia. The fact that you are working will definitely work in your favour. We would recommend speaking to your local bank to find out if you qualify and what interest rate you would likely qualify for.

    • Franklyn

      Hi, I hold dual citizenship from both Australia and the UK. I’m currently residing in London, therefore, I’m a tax resident of the UK. I want to buy an investment property in NSW to rent out. Am I a foreign resident in this case? Or will I be considered an Australian citizen for this purchase?

    • Hi Franklyn,
      You will be considered an Australian expat. That means you will be treated the same as an Australian citizen, you would not require FIRB approval nor will you pay the foreigner stamp duty surcharge.

    • Amir

      Hi, we’ll migrate to Australia on the TSS Visa, short-term, so 2 to 4 years in a few months time as my wife’s been offered a lucrative position. We’ll be selling our property here in South Africa to use that towards a deposit for a house. My question is will we be limited in the number of years we need to pay off the mortgage? For example, if we were in Australia for only 4 years, do we have to pay off the mortgage in 4 years?

    • Hi Amir,
      Not necessarily, you can still get a 30 year term home loan. If you do not renew your visa or decide to leave Australia, you can turn it into an investment property provided your income and commitments support it. When purchasing on a TSS short term Visa, you will need FIRB approval and will have to pay the foreigner stamp duty surcharge. This webpage has more information regarding buying property on a TSS visa: